Tugboat might be a jon boat

Pancaking means you got up under a guy, drove him back, drove him in the ground and laid on top of him. Many linemen go thru the whole year without pancake blocks. 4 in one game by a TE on a NG doesn't add up. I just think this coach got a little overzealous. Play hard to get, females get jealous.

That might be your definition of pancake block. The one I always heard is just putting a guy on his back flat.

I agree, its much harder to do it the way you mean, but for a lot of offensive schemes, you block someone not lined up on you as much as someone who is. It would make the metric useless if your definition was used in such a scheme.

Again, this sounds just like an Outside to Inside Trap scheme that counts on sucking the NT upfield full bore on a misdirection so soemone can trap him to kingdom come that I'm inclined to buy the coaches statement as being technically correct. I will say, it doesn't impress me either. Getting a NT to bite on a trap in high school is hardly the mark of a 5 Star blocker.

Why is a TE blocking a DT? Never seen that before, unless he's cutback blocking.

You kidding? They block down all the time. And many time will surprise the DT's, resulting in a pancake
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You kidding? They block down all the time. And many time will surprise the DT's, resulting in a pancake

Did you read the second part of my sentence, which mentioned cutback? Or blocking down, in other words. A TE is never lined up in the trenches against a DT or NG. Anybody can be laid out when it's unexpected.

Not talking about cutback. DT plays outside eye of OT, end will sometimes block down for a fairly basic run play. It's called "power"

My guess is a weird inside trap from the outside. You see that in a lot of misdirection style offenses. The Delaware Wing T comes to mind. The Wing T (and a few others) also have the Tight End line up in the backfield in the Wing back or an H-back style position.

Pancaking a guy that much bigger has Trap written all over it. If not from a Wing T, something similar.

You are correct. Carrollton runs a variation of the Delaware Wing T, meaning lots of inside traps, jet sweeps, and some misdirection.

I saw Carson play last year in the game that is referenced in this thread. His impact was minimal and he really did not stand out. His team lost 43-21. If I didn't follow recruiting and know to look for him, I would not have known he was a D1 prospect from his play. Hopefully he can be a solid contributor for the Vols. JMO.

You are correct. Carrollton runs a variation of the Delaware Wing T, meaning lots of inside traps, jet sweeps, and some misdirection.

I saw Carson play last year in the game that is referenced in this thread. His impact was minimal and he really did not stand out. His team lost 43-21. If I didn't follow recruiting and know to look for him, I would not have known he was a D1 prospect from his play. Hopefully he can be a solid contributor for the Vols. JMO.

Sweet. I'll give myself a Gold Star for correctly identifying an offense simply from a vague pancake block reference to a Tight End and Nose Tackle.

VN Store

Back