Trump wants to end quarterly reporting

I don't care anymore, I'm winding down my participation in the stock market except for a couple of low cost index funds. 40 years of investing in the markets taught me that I can't out smart them.

I don't care anymore, I'm winding down my participation in the stock market except for a couple of low cost index funds. 40 years of investing in the markets taught me that I can't out smart them.
I have been thinking about just that. Maybe an S&P fund or total stock market, and the rest in a bond fund or CD's. I have also thought about Vanguard's Balanced Fund, which is 60/40 stocks/bonds. Which funds are you considering?

I have been thinking about just that. Maybe an S&P fund or total stock market, and the rest in a bond fund or CD's. I have also thought about Vanguard's Balanced Fund, which is 60/40 stocks/bonds. Which funds are you considering?

I’m definitely not a trump guy but I like this idea. I’ve been in the public company earnings release world and it’s a viciously repetitive and time consuming cycle. Way too much time and energy spent on quality releases. Might even take an edge off the short terms focus.

Trump may not be a high character individual, but he truly wants what is best for Americans.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
So if I read this right it’s reducing the number of times a year to report right? From 4 to 2? Ok I like that. I believe too much focus is put on company execs to feed the vicious short earnings cycle. But if their stock is going to be traded then holders and potential buyers need some visibility.

Reactions: VolinMC
I'm undecided on this. Less interference from the government is good. But the general public receives less timely, published information (although I bet most of the largest public companies would continue to put the information out). But how worthwhile has the quarterly information actually been? The conspiracy theorist in me suggests that the big guys have their ways of getting the financial picture long before the general public has a clue.

I also wonder if anything is gained by eliminating reporting to the SEC every 3 months. The information is already generated. It just won't have to be submitted. Monthly financial reports, if not weekly and daily, are calculated. They just aren't being shared with the shareholders, potential shareholders, and short sellers.

What I'd like to see are very severe criminal penalties put on white collar crooks. I think that the death penalty should even be in play for guys like Bernie Maddoff and the scum at Enron. A couple of years in jail does little to deter people when stealing tens of millions is the incentive.

I'm also not opposed to placing some sort of limitation on executive compensation at public companies.

@Thunder Good-Oil
"I'm also not opposed to placing some sort of limitation on executive compensation at public companies."

Government imposed salary caps?

There needs to be some sort of limitation on how much executives can put in each other's pockets when they're utilizing financing by the citizenry. If it's a private company then sure, the corporate officer's can take all that they dare. But when a company is owned by the public then reasonable limitations are justified.

There needs to be some sort of limitation on how much executives can put in each other's pockets when they're utilizing financing by the citizenry. If it's a private company then sure, the corporate officer's can take all that they dare. But when a company is owned by the public then reasonable limitations are justified.
First of all, I agree that Jamie Diamond making the kind of coin he makes is ludicrous. But.... having the .gov step in and impose some sort of limit is just outright asinine. These C suite bubbas have teams of lawyers that will sharpshoot the hell out of these regulations and find a way to keep the gravy coming in. It is the exact same problem we have with members of the legislature. You want to stop this? It is up to the voters (shareholders), and as long as they make money, the Jamie Diamonds of the world ain't going anywhere.

I'd rather see salary limitations on NBA thugs.

Good Luck getting any consensus on the levels.
That will also drive the better people to private.

Good Luck getting any consensus on the levels.
That will also drive the better people to private.

There's not as much difference between the middle of the talent pool and the top. It's just a rigged system that takes from the average investor to overpay those in control. Boards are as much accountable to the top management as they are to the typical shareholder.

I don't have an issue with some, maybe even most, of the top managers making obscene compensation... especially if the company does very well. I have more of an issue with a small, closed inbred group not responsibly fulfilling their fiduciary duty to shareholders. It bothers me that super voting classes of shares concentrat the power and when CEO's put their buddies on boards. It's more of an issue to me when it's a small or mid cap company that taps into the public equity market and then rip off the average shareholders.

I'll never forget about 15 or 20 years ago when the executives of public companies were arguing that stock based compensation shouldn't hit the income statement. They argued since the cost wasn't cash that it shouldn't be recorded as an expense to the company. They're leeches and it's one place that the government has to step in to keep them from stealing every last dime from the average investor.

Financial institutions are another area that needs government oversight. But they're so much in bed with politicians that sensible regulations rarely are deployed. It's unbelievable some of the high fee investments that brokers are allowed to sell to their unsophisticated clients. Maybe the one thing that I agreed with during Obama's was when the Fiduciary Rule was attempted to be made into law. Selling "appropriate" investments is a crock of ****. But Congess has to keep those campaign contributions flowing.

I dont really know anything about business. So maybe those who do can explain how this would be better than what is in place now.

I dont really know anything about business. So maybe those who do can explain how this would be better than what is in place now.
The idea is making the street happy every three months isn’t good for long term strategy. It could possibly lead to companies making short sighted decisions to maintain their stock price or ratings. I think the good companies just do what they do and don’t worry about the short term. Amazon was savaged every quarter when they plowed everything back into AWS and other long term ideas. Every three months was another round of articles bashing them as overpriced and unfocused on the day to day. That was when the stock was in the $250-300 range. Think Bezos lost much sleep over that?

The idea is making the street happy every three months isn’t good for long term strategy. It could possibly lead to companies making short sighted decisions to maintain their stock price or ratings. I think the good companies just do what they do and don’t worry about the short term. Amazon was savaged every quarter when they plowed everything back into AWS and other long term ideas. Every three months was another round of articles bashing them as overpriced and unfocused on the day to day. That was when the stock was in the $250-300 range. Think Bezos lost much sleep over that?

Appreciate it

VN Store

Back