Truckers to shut down DC

I've always been interested in the trucking industry. Can I buy/lease a truck, have someone else drive it and make some $$?

This question applies to both tractor trailers and something local like a dump truck
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I've always been interested in the trucking industry. Can I buy/lease a truck, have someone else drive it and make some $$?

This question applies to both tractor trailers and something local like a dump truck

Yes.

Tri-axles make 65-70 a hour depending on location. Our company bought 12 new kenworths this year (march) half of them have already paid for themselves.

If you can get good drivers you can make some money now. Rates are very good for the o/o now.

Notice I said Good Drivers

If you can get good drivers you can make some money now. Rates are very good for the o/o now.

Notice I said Good Drivers

Id go local trucking or dump trucking. Long hauls would scare me not knowing the driver personally.

yes to both, however, there are risks inherent to this

1. In order for you to make money, you can't pay your driver all that well.

2. One well-known scam is for a driver to "sell" fuel to make some cash. They take your credit card, use it to put fuel in another driver's truck for $2/gallon, then walk away with cash in their pocket. This is easy to detect if you're diligent with your bookkeeping, but it can cost your serious money until it's detected.

3. New trucks with EGR systems can be maintenance nightmares. In order to avoid dealing with modern emissions systems, you'll have to buy trucks that are well over 10 years old.

2. One well-known scam is for a driver to "sell" fuel to make some cash. They take your credit card, use it to put fuel in another driver's truck for $2/gallon, then walk away with cash in their pocket. This is easy to detect if you're diligent with your bookkeeping, but it can cost your serious money until it's detected.

3. New trucks with EGR systems can be maintenance nightmares. In order to avoid dealing with modern emissions systems, you'll have to buy trucks that are well over 10 years old.

1. Sure you can
2. Hence I would run local or dump trucking
3. We may be fortunate. But we have 12 of them. No problems as of yet. (20 trucks all togther )

1. Sure you can
2. Hence I would run local or dump trucking
3. We may be fortunate. But we have 12 of them. No problems as of yet. (20 trucks all togther )

1. You and I may have differing opinions on what "well paid" means.

1. You and I may have differing opinions on what "well paid" means.

He can get a good driver for 15-20 bucks per hour. Some drivers (dump) get between 25-30% of what the truck makes. This motivates the driver.

Then you have the mainteance on a 10 year old piece of equipment with over a million miles on it.

Then you have the mainteance on a 10 year old piece of equipment with over a million miles on it.

I never said it was an ideal situation, just that it's the only way to avoid dealing with modern EGR technology.

I never said it was an ideal situation, just that it's the only way to avoid dealing with modern EGR technology.

That is true . The cost of truck ownership can get expensive fast. Locating good drivers is difficult. I sold all my trucks about 10 years ago. With rates as high as they are now, there is some money to be made in truck ownership today. I am talking otr. If I were younger I would not mind buying 10-15 trucks. I just don't want tbe headache at this point.

There are plenty of other problems that need to be addressed as well. Lumper services screw drivers more often than lot lizards. There is way too much uncompensated delay time at both shippers and consignees. An appalling lack of available parking areas. And so on.

Americans want their cheap Wal Mart stuff. What most don't realize is that in a world dominated by expensive fuel and cheap toasters, it's not the Wal Mart associate that's being screwed.

Agree 100%. There is a close approaching tipping point.

Down time on the 08-10 models were a nightmare. 11-12s appear to be a tad better.

There would be no way in Sam hell I would even consider getting into the trucking industry right now.

That is true . The cost of truck ownership can get expensive fast. Locating good drivers is difficult. I sold all my trucks about 10 years ago. With rates as high as they are now, there is some money to be made in truck ownership today. I am talking otr. If I were younger I would not mind buying 10-15 trucks. I just don't want tbe headache at this point.

The OTR driver situation is a major problem, good ones want to run local or at least 2 night turns.

The OTR driver situation is a major problem, good ones want to run local or at least 2 night turns.

I have no desire to run OTR anymore. I got tired of a "weekend off" meaning I get home late Friday night or early Saturday morning and having to leave again Sunday afternoon. And that was after running for 3 straight weeks. Living out of a suitcase in your own home is no way to live, and I burned out very quickly.

It is like any other profession. Theu are good and there are bad. I have had good expeience with several drivers that stay out Sun- Fri or a couple of weeks especially the west coast guys. I do deal mainly with O/O. When someone has their own money invested in equipment it does make a difference

He can get a good driver for 15-20 bucks per hour. Some drivers (dump) get between 25-30% of what the truck makes. This motivates the driver.

That's the route I would go. Pay an hourly salary and a %. Next question is how do I get jobs? Contact the local DOT to get hired for paving jobs?

That's the route I would go. Pay an hourly salary and a %. Next question is how do I get jobs? Contact the local DOT to get hired for paving jobs?

Get hooked up with a general contractor. Home builders. Construction companies etc.

Most drivers around here get a % only. Some get hourly only. With what you posed there is a great way to get quality drivers

Are you located in Tennessee? Farmers also use trucks to haul their crops. (Beans,corn,etc)

Lots of possibilities.

I live in Atlanta. I feel like I could put down $25K and buy an 04-05 truck for like $50-60k and pay a driver a wage or % and after a year if things work out buy another truck.

When you say 25/30% of what the truck makes, is that before or after fuel, insurance, truck payment, etc?

My great grandfather and grandfather owned a trucking company which started in the 1920's (no joke) so its sort of in my blood. I currently trade a lot in the stock market and do pretty well but Im ready to start a business. Ive looked at getting a franchise or buying rental property but I always come back to the trucking industry

Last edited:
I live in Atlanta. I feel like I could put down $25K and buy an 04-05 truck for like $50-60k and pay a driver a wage or % and after a year if things work out buy another truck.

When you say 25/30% of what the truck makes, is that before or after fuel, insurance, truck payment, etc?

My great grandfather and grandfather owned a trucking company which started in the 1920's (no joke) so its sort of in my blood. I currently trade a lot in the stock market and do pretty well but Im ready to start a business. Ive looked at getting a franchise or buying rental property but I always come back to the trucking industry

That percentage is based on gross.

25k will buy a good nice tri-axle here.

In this business drivers are paid through lunch. Most jobs allow travel time. (Contractors vary)here in arkansas we are not regulated by dot because we are with in 100 miles of our business address.

This is a different type hauling ftom what Ob is discussing but between 1995-2002 I added 4 expedite straight trucks to my business. We paid those drivers 50% of what the truck brought in and they bought the fuel. That worked out well for both parties. I was fortunate and landed some good drivers on these units. I ended selling the truck to the drivers on lease purchases. We made owner operators out of them.

VN Store

Back