Trick Plays

IMO our offense is not very adept at trickery. We try to maintain tempo with a steady foot on the gas. Trick plays are usually high risk and can really squash momentum which CJH offenses thrive on. I’m sure Josh will read these comments, have an epiphany, and come out Saturday “ON PLAY NUMER 1” and all he did was SCORE! Probably not though.

The one time I thought we might fake kick was at Bama when we went for it on 4th and 1. We haven’t been in a ton of spots to use it. But it crossed my mind that faking there at mid field might work.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
We are saving our trick plays for Vandy....:D

But honestly, I think Heupel knows we need good production on first downs and doesn't want to run something to knock us out of rhythm. And that once we get that first first down in a series, the pace will often force defensive errors that give us big plays so we can score without specific trick plays.

IMO our offense is not very adept at trickery. We try to maintain tempo with a steady foot on the gas. Trick plays are usually high risk and can really squash momentum which CJH offenses thrive on. I’m sure Josh will read these comments, have an epiphany, and come out Saturday “ON PLAY NUMER 1” and all he did was SCORE! Probably not though.
Failing "4th & 1" in your own territory can squash momentum....ring any bells?

Reactions: Manning4ever
I don't understand why coach Heup hasn't run any.I mean hes not conservative going for it on fourth down.The Jackson dude looks fast. I bet he could get lose and run across the country.True Freshman or not he should give the dude a chance.What do you all think?
we're saving it for the florida game

The one I wanna see is the Rick Claussen fake screen pass bomb to the same WR we ran against LSU right after Katrina.
I’ve always thought— with the ridiculous amount of screen passes that we throw —- that it would work like a charm. But, what the hell do I know ….

The one I wanna see is the Rick Claussen fake screen pass bomb to the same WR we ran against LSU right after Katrina.
I’ve always thought— with the ridiculous amount of screen passes that we throw —- that it would work like a charm. But, what the hell do I know ….
One of my favorite play calls against man coverage. Really hard for DBs to resist the urge to go blow up the play against twin WRs when they see WR1 turn toward the QB for a screen and WR2 take a step to go chip the cornerback.

Failing "4th & 1" in your own territory can squash momentum....ring any bells?
Actually I’m well aware that failing on 4th down can stop momentum🤷‍♂️. Trick plays verses 4th down tries… IMO… aren’t the same but we can disagree on that Large.

I think we see a fake punt in one of the next two games. As much as Heupel likes to gamble on 4th, it just might work.
I hope we do because I remember in that Bama game the punter could have ran for the first down and then some.
With the way our punter punts by running left or right and so far hasn't pulled it down to run should at least work as a surprise at least once.
I kind of hope it gets used vs GA and not have to against MO

Since you know so much about coaching Nancy, list your resume of where you played college, NFL, and your OC & HC experience. I can't wait to read it. I'm surprised you're not an NFL HC.....
Northeast High School.....Austin Peay State University.....University of Memphis

I say we will see a fake punt next week vs Georgia… they have hinted at the arm the punter has so I expect it then.

Kind of my thought as well. Tempo is more designed to stress a defense instead of a trick play here or there. I could see possibly it happening on a punt if we’re in the right position/situation on the field but I think mostly Heupel is more comfortable trusting his offense to get the job done.

Reactions: tennrich1
Tennessee has shifted to a run-first offense and is running both efficiently and explosively. A trick play normally involves some risk of lost yards, and getting behind the sticks is especially bad if you want to run the ball. That makes trick plays less attractive from a risk/reward standpoint. Plus the wide splits put a premium on arm strength: not everybody can throw that far. And most trick plays depend on getting a little extra time blocking out of the OL, and that’s been… an adventure at times.

Everybody has trick plays in the bag, but it makes sense to me that UT hasn’t decided to deploy them yet.

VN Store

Back