Traffic jam on Everest

I wouldn't even say that. I grant you, though, that many out-of-shape people finish them . . . slowly.

I hear you... I finished mine recently in 3:59:57... On a bad ankle. Not making excuses because I doubt I would finish any faster had I been completely healthy. We had folks dragging across the line seven hours plus....

I hear you... I finished mine recently in 3:59:57... On a bad ankle. Not making excuses because I doubt I would finish any faster had I been completely healthy. We had folks dragging across the line seven hours plus....

Not a bad time with hurt ankle. I agree with your argument about marathons. The people that complete them after 7 hours of walking have taken away some of the splendor. However, for those, like yourself, that complete it the way it was intended it is still an amazing accomishment, and I don't think "easy" is the right adjective to describe it.

I've volunteered to assist as a course marshal a few times for the Knoxville Marathon. Lots of walking going on toward the end of the time allotment. In my mind, it doesn't really count as a marathon unless you're at least trying to run, but whatever . . .

Walked alot of the last 3 miles in my marathon cause of calf cramps. I could only run downhill. I think all marathons should have a time cutoff at mile 18. If you can't run 18 in 3 hours you have no business attempting a marathon.

I know a fat chick who "runs" marathons

She must enjoy pain. She gets horrible chaffing

Not really an apples to apples comparison.

But you are correct that the participants who do that race solo are not normal humans. I saw a documentary which showed the leader guy ride several hundred (500?) miles before he got any sleep. Crazy.

Sure it is apples to apples if done solo. There's a "team car" that follows you with food and stuff, but thats almost like a sherpa. Many people racing RAAM have been hit and killed by cars. Riders train all year for that one event.

Wow... Good read. It's kind of odd that on a given weekend (provided conditions permit, as I read in the article which is no small hope...) 200-300 folks could be making an assault on the summit knowing their O2 supply is limited and have to basically stand in line.... All for a minimum of 25 grand... I have to admit after reading this and seeing some of the other things on the 'net about this that I'm wrong to assume its "easy" to do this. All the experience and training in the world won't save your bacon at all if the weather turns on you....

I used to enjoy watching that show where they were showing attempts to summit, they even showed a guy dying on everett, they had to go around the body.

7 of 10 had to drink their own piss before completion. Factish maybe probably.

Alright already!!! I recant!! It's unbelievably difficult to climb Everest and only superhuman (rich) folks are able to do it!

Marathons are still a piece of cake though, provided you aren't worried about your time... Running sub 3 hour marathons is an entirely different discussion but actually finishing a marathon (even if it takes seven hours...)? No problemo.

I thought of this thread yesterday when I rode as a sweeper for a trail marathon/25k.

Race started and I promptly when and took a dump. 15-20 minutes later I started riding. In less than 5 minutes I caught the last place "runners". They were walking. Less than a mile into the race. I couldn't believe it.

They basically paid $50 to go on a hike with aid stations. The race director said "when you're that slow you need aid stations."

I used to enjoy watching that show where they were showing attempts to summit, they even showed a guy dying on everett, they had to go around the body.

They showed a few. Loved that show. Wish it still came on

I thought of this thread yesterday when I rode as a sweeper for a trail marathon/25k.

Race started and I promptly when and took a dump. 15-20 minutes later I started riding. In less than 5 minutes I caught the last place "runners". They were walking. Less than a mile into the race. I couldn't believe it.

They basically paid $50 to go on a hike with aid stations. The race director said "when you're that slow you need aid stations."

That's one thing that surprised me when I started running. A large group of runners, actually about half those that show up to run half and full marathons, are overweight people trying to get slim. Not athletic at all. Not really what you think of when you hear the phase marathon runners. More power to them, getting in shape is hard work, for anyone.

That's one thing that surprised me when I started running. A large group of runners, actually about half those that show up to run half and full marathons, are overweight people trying to get slim. Not athletic at all. Not really what you think of when you hear the phase marathon runners. More power to them, getting in shape is hard work, for anyone.

While I applaud those getting in shape, signing up to "run" a marathon is not smart when you aren't in shape. A marathon is not an event to sign for when you are trying to get in shape. That is what a 5k is for.

VN Store

Back