Tony B Show: Do the Vols feel top 5?

Last night the Vols looked Top 5. Yes, they played down in competition level, but they totally looked in sync in every area. You can also play poorly in these situations, so I took last night as a huge positive. Norfolk State beat FGCU earlier in the season, who of course beat FAU last week.
Yer getting out there on the transitive edge, eh? 😉

Reactions: cardvolfan
You realize that 4-minute scoring droughts are oftentimes offset by offensive outbursts, right? Does it really matter to you that we don't maintain consistent point:minute ratios? We scored 87 points in 40 minutes. Is it really concerning if we go 4 minutes without scoring if we score 20 points in the next 6 minutes?
You're missing the point. THIS year... we haven't had many "scoring bursts" as we've had in the past. I can't remember any, really. It not so much to do with this particular game against NSU, it's later on down the road in the tournament when we are playing much better teams. As stated in my previous post.

Show me a single team that has not had a 4min scoring drought in one of there last 2 games. While it’s possible you find something, it’s going to take a lot of digging. 4 min droughts are 100% normal even with good teams playing bad ones. They’re even more common in teams whose pace is in the 60s.
At one point this year, we had an almost TWELVE minute drought. I'm not going to waste my time looking all these arbitrary stats up for you. If you don't think it's an issue, fine. I happen to think these long drought without a damn FG will come back to haunt us.

At one point this year, we had an almost TWELVE minute drought. I'm not going to waste my time looking all these arbitrary stats up for you. If you don't think it's an issue, fine. I happen to think these long drought without a damn FG will come back to haunt us.
Nobody is saying not scoring is a good thing, but as mentioned and examples pointed out to you, every team in college basketball goes through those droughts…it’s not just Tennessee.

Lol. There aren't 5 teams in the country that meet your criteria.
Of course not. Never said there are. However, over the course of this season, it's an issue. Good Lord... every commentator on the planet will have written on their script... "UT prone to long scoring droughts..." Cmon. Sometimes I think ya'll like to argue just to read your writing.

I'm bored so I went back and looked at the National Championship last year and Uconn was up 36-20 with 3:18 left in the 1st half... didn't score again until 18:59 in the 2nd half. 4 min and 19 second drought. SDSU cut the lead to 10.

9:50 up 56-41 UConn was up 15 points then went on a 2 min and 35 seconds drought and SDSU cut the lead down to 6 points.

The point of this post is; scoring droughts in basketball are like Thanos... they're inevitable.
I get it. I'm perfectly aware that scoring droughts happen. However, we need to cut those scoring droughts down. We've had a ton of them, IMO. We've had them a lot longer than 3-4 mins too! I can't remember who it was, but we had one that was almost 10 mins without a FG. That's not good.

Of course not. Never said there are. However, over the course of this season, it's an issue. Good Lord... every commentator on the planet will have written on their script... "UT prone to long scoring droughts..." Cmon. Sometimes I think ya'll like to argue just to read your writing.
Alanis Morisette fan?

Again, can you provide supporting date?! Thanks!
No. Not going to waste my time. However... if we go into one of our double digit minute scoring droughts against a good team in the tourney, it aint gonna be good. But if you think this team is good enough to beat a good team while not scoring... more power to you.

These are the kind of questions that really separate basketball fans from football fans who are enjoying a good run in basketball.

There’s nothing wrong with being a football fan enjoying basketball. It certainly helps TBA be an intimidating place to play. I’m a basketball fan that is unbelievably stoked that the football and baseball teams are both good….what a great time to be a Vol.

With that said….let’s stop with the “this team is going to struggle” for whatever reason. This is a very good team. No, we’re not going to play the post game we played when Grant was here….there’s maybe 3 teams in the country that can. We are going to play that same smothering defense. We are going to see that same amount of ball movement. We are going to see a very high assist to field goal ratio. Barnes is going to keep pulling you when you make a dumb turnover, and he’s going to continue to absolutely wear out his point guards for dumb mistakes. He’s also going to keep winning 20+ games a year most of the time.

This team is not, and is not trying to be the Admiral and Grant team. Go watch Purdue or Kansas if you like that style of great offense in basketball. You’ll actually get to see a low budget version of it Saturday from Ole Miss.

If you want to understand what the folks who do polls and a bunch of the regular posters on here understand about what makes this Tennessee team great, start counting passes on offense and compare to the opponent. Count the difference between the two teams in how many contested shots are taken outside 5 secs on the shot clock. Start seeing how many shot clock violations this team causes, and include the absolute trash thrown at the bucket with under 3 to shoot. Watch how difficult it is to get the ball inside 30 feet.

This is a team that passes to find the open shot, denies the inlet pass to the post, and wears you down until you have no legs left to shoot. The 10 footer is more important than a step through post move for this team.

Basketball is fickle, these guys might get bounced early, but it won’t be for a lack of talent, coaching or game planning.

There just isn’t any real reason for Knoxville to have 3 or 4 sports talk stations. Fanrun Radio’s owner just sold it so obviously he thinks it’s peaked already. By the time Basilio retires I think it will go back to just the Sports Animal and nothing else. I don’t even think Atlanta has much sports radio as Knoxville and they have 4 pro teams plus UGA and GT, and 6x the metro population. I just don’t see the current landscape being sustainable in such a small market.

I agree, but I think the whole reason Knoxville has an influx of different radio stations is because the primary one, the Sports Animal, is awful. FanRun and Basilio are trying to capture the audience that doesn’t like WNML.

I don’t listen to a ton of Knoxville radio because I don’t live in Knoxville anymore, but I occasionally log onto both the Sports Animal and FanRun apps to try and stay connected with my hometown, and I enjoy certain voice on FanRun more like Jon Reed and Russell Smith than what the Sports Animal gives me. Can’t stand 3&O though. Glad it’s gone now.

Reactions: berryvol
No. Not going to waste my time. However... if we go into one of our double digit minute scoring droughts against a good team in the tourney, it aint gonna be good. But if you think this team is good enough to beat a good team while not scoring... more power to you.
I don’t think we’ve had 10 mins with 0 points this year. We probably won’t. We will go 4 minutes against a good team in the tourney most likely. So will 62 of the 64 teams in the tourney. The game won’t be decided in those 4 mins. That’s just basketball. It’s worse the higher level you get to, after you get to a level where you average more points that minutes in the game anyway. Pee wee ball can have whole game scoring droughts.

A 4 min scoring drought in basketball is equivalent to 2 possessions in football with no points. It isn’t good, but it isn’t a death sentence.

I agree, but I think the whole reason Knoxville has an influx of different radio stations is because the primary one, the Sports Animal, is awful. FanRun and Basilio are trying to capture the audience that doesn’t like WNML.

I don’t listen to a ton of Knoxville radio because I don’t live in Knoxville anymore, but I occasionally log onto both the Sports Animal and FanRun apps to try and stay connected with my hometown, and I enjoy certain voice on FanRun more like Jon Reed and Russell Smith than what the Sports Animal gives me. Can’t stand 3&O though. Glad it’s gone now.
Ainge is really the one with any football insight. He typically does a solid job. Tyler Ivens is doo doo.

You're missing the point. THIS year... we haven't had many "scoring bursts" as we've had in the past. I can't remember any, really. It not so much to do with this particular game against NSU, it's later on down the road in the tournament when we are playing much better teams. As stated in my previous post.
We are #77 nationally in offensive efficiency averaging 1.08 pts per possession.

We are #14 nationally in defensive efficiency giving up 0.89 pts per possession.

We are #72 nationally scoring at 77.8 ppg.

We are #26 nationally allowing 64.3 ppg.

The points, combined with our elite defense, are there.

We might go several minutes without scoring, but we force our opponents to do just the same. Last night, specifically, we were stuck on 16 points for 5 mins and 28 secs, but we only gave up 2 points in that stretch. We then went on a 27-9 run to close the half. We scored 43 points in the 1st half and 44 in the 2nd half.

And against Wisconsin, we went 4:32 without a FG (made 2 FTs), but we held the Badgers to 8 pts in that span for a -6 point net.

Purdue went 5:52 against us without scoring. They also had a stretch of 5:40 where they scored 3 points. Another stretch of 3:11 without a basket. 14:43 of game time and they scored 3 points total and won the game. They're also the #1 team in the country. If they aren't immune to it with the national POY, then why should you expect anyone to be immune to it?

I suspect most casual observers are passing judgement on this question after merely looking at the loss column and nakedly asking - how can a team with 3 losses at this point of the season be in the top 5? Obviously that approach fails on closer inspection, and it’s the reason Tennessee is highly ranked in both human and data driven polling; you don’t get punished much by playing Purdue for example, rated as having the nation’s toughest schedule, essentially to a draw. Personally I don’t feel we’re top 5 right now with the way we’re shooting so poorly as a team, but I do think it is reasonable to still be giving the Vols a lot of deference based on depth and potential.

Even though we’re averaging more points per game?

We are #77 nationally in offensive efficiency averaging 1.08 pts per possession.

We are #14 nationally in defensive efficiency giving up 0.89 pts per possession.

We might go several minutes without scoring, but we force our opponents to do just the same. Last night, specifically, we were stuck on 16 points for 5 mins and 28 secs, but we only gave up 2 points in that stretch. We then went on a 27-9 run to close the half. We scored 43 points in the 1st half and 44 in the 2nd half.

And against Wisconsin, we went 4:32 without a FG (made 2 FTs), but we held the Badgers to 8 pts in that span for a -6 point net.

Purdue went 5:52 against us without scoring. They also had a stretch of 5:40 where they scored 3 points. Another stretch of 3:11 without a basket. 14:43 of game time and they scored 3 points total and won the game. They're also the #1 team in the country. If they aren't immune to it with the national POY, then why should you expect anyone to be immune to it?
Good post

The good news for this team X 2 is that the defense is still keeping us in games when the offense has lulls. Additionally, we have more scoring options this year especially with a guy like Knecht that can score at all 3 levels when you need a bucket. That type of weapon was missing from last years team. Hopefully, he will continue to improve as the season progresses.

Ainge is really the one with any football insight. He typically does a solid job. Tyler Ivens is doo doo.

In general, Knoxville sports radio is just bad. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara do a great job with the baseball broadcasts but that is basically all I can stomach from Sports Animal. Will West sucks. Not sure if Josh Ward is still there, but he was boring. Ainge is okay. Just not any personalities to get excited about listening to over there.

Reactions: berryvol

Why do you post coherent, fact based, statistics when you could always post nonsensical, opinionated BS?

The post was "do we FEEL top 5?" not "statistically speaking are we top 5 material?" Get over yourselves. People can feel how they want. Are they posting their opinion as fact? Then sure you can dump on 'em but some of yall are acting like you know everything because you saw some stats on a sheet. My opinion on do we FEEL top 5? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We'll find out when it's all over. Until then, GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back