Tony B. Booted By 1180 AM

I like TB but you could see his time was limited. TSR is about x VIPs talking about current vols. take it or leave it. TB is a good radio guy and will be fine. It's all about where J Bay wants to go w his station. TB is ok with it so I'm sure he will land on his feet. I'll miss his show but I'll still listen to TSR over any radio talk in k town. I can't stand the golf and tennis talk on the other channel and the am show suck donkey sweat off the butt

Have at it. As I posted earlier, the former player perspective is cool, but all day? Every day? Every time slot? Jay Bay posted it won't be a former player in TB's time slot. What does that mean? Hooker, Rucker, Travis.

I listened to Ainge interviewing S. Pearl regarding Golden. Turrible... to quote Charles Barkley.

I'm not even sure TSR will remain in the sports talk category and if they do they may be looking to bring in canned syndicated stuff...we'll see.

Reactions: 1 person
Word is that they will be shifting other shows to make room for 3HL as the first station to carry the show for another station other than 104.5 the zone. So please welcome Clay Travis to Knoxville everyone its confirmed.:rock:

www.1045thezone.com

That is a Cummulus station. Why would they use a successful show to compete I a market where they already have a station?

Have at it. As I posted earlier, the former player perspective is cool, but all day? Every day? Every time slot? Jay Bay posted it won't be a former player in TB's time slot. What does that mean? Hooker, Rucker, Travis.

I listened to Ainge interviewing S. Pearl regarding Golden. Turrible... to quote Charles Barkley.

I'm not even sure TSR will remain in the sports talk category and if they do they may be looking to bring in canned syndicated stuff...we'll see.

TB's blog on Tuesday said he heard it will be Hooker.

cosgrove is it always 90's era Scotland in your world?:)

What's the scoop on this TSR bidness?

absolutely, teenage fanclub is one of the most under rated bands of the last 30 years my friend.

as for the whole tsr mess everyone involved are being very tight lipped about it. I think it's a combination of alot of the rumours floating around. First and foremest Tony is completely independant and he buys his time from Jason and then keeps a 100% of all advertising he sells for his show. I have no idea how much his show makes but I do know the guy works harder than almost everyone else I have ever met, i imagine he does very well. I would imagine that Jason thinks he can make more money by having another show directly under his umbrella so to speak and make more money selling the 2 hours Tony's show occupies than Tony pays him for the time, maybe he can who knows. Barring some 11th hour change Dave Hooker will take over that spot which does have a bit of strange vol irony since Tony gave hooker his start way back in the 90's, if I'm not mistaken he was the first graduate of the Basilio school of broadcasting. As for the nonsense about clay i drink james franklins toilet water travis getting on 1180 the only way I see that happening is so Erik Ainge could beat the ever loving **** out of him, the animosity between those 2 is very real and I'm not saying it's right but if i were travis I wouldn't want to run into Ainge. Last but certainly not least I do think the Jim "cattleman" Copeland situation probably didn't help at all the guy is a serious head case. I can't really blame Jason for not wanting to let jim copeland trash him and his station that he has bet his whole future on. In closing I would like to take the opportunity to say i went to UT at the same time as Tony and there is no bigger Orange Sheep than that guy as well as being a forgotten legend on campus, he was personally responsible for the KFD UTPD KPD and the bomb squad being at Hess almost every night. He stormed the sga debate wearing a philidelphia eagles jersey for god sakes the guy has always been funny as hell. I'm sure he'll land on his feet the guy never quits.

Last edited:
absolutely, teenage fanclub is one of the most under rated bands of the last 30 years my friend.

as for the whole tsr mess everyone involved are being very tight lipped about it. I think it's a combination of alot of the rumours floating around. First and foremest Tony is completely independant and he buys his time from Jason and then keeps a 100% of all advertising he sells for his show. I have no idea how much his show makes but I do know the guy works harder than almost everyone else I have ever met, i imagine he does very well. I would imagine that Jason thinks he can make more money by having another show directly under his umbrella so to speak and make more money selling the 2 hours Tony's show occupies than Tony pays him for the time, maybe he can who knows. Barring some 11th hour change Dave Hooker will take over that spot which does have a bit of strange vol irony since Tony gave hooker his start way back in the 90's, if I'm not mistaken he was the first graduate of the Basilio school of broadcasting. As for the nonsense about clay i drink james franklins toilet water travis getting on 1180 the only way I see that happening is so Erik Ainge could beat the ever loving **** out of him, the animosity between those 2 is very real and I'm not saying it's right but if i were travis I wouldn't want to run into Ainge. Last but certainly not least I do think the Jim "cattleman" Copeland situation probably didn't help at all the guy is a serious head case. I can't really blame Jason for not wanting to let jim copeland trash him and his station that he has bet his whole future on. In closing I would like to take the opportunity to say i went to UT at the same time as Tony and there is no bigger Orange Sheep than that guy as well as being a forgotten legend on campus, he was personally responsible for the KFD UTPD KPD and the bomb squad being at Hess almost every night. He stormed the sga debate wearing a philidelphia eagles jersey for god sakes the guy has always been funny as hell. I'm sure he'll land on his feet the guy never quits.

I get The Concept you are trying to relay. I Don't Know, but there seems to be some Genius Envy over at TSR. I guess they think they are Going Places at The Speed of Light, still I wonder if it's not Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Happy 30th to TFC, not widely known in your world, tremendously respected in mine. :p

Reactions: ArdentVol
I get The Concept you are trying to relay. I Don't Know, but there seems to be some Genius Envy over at TSR. I guess they think they are Going Places at The Speed of Light, still I wonder if it's not Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Happy 30th to TFC, not widely known in your world, tremendously respected in mine. :p

there is a fair amount of that i think, you aren't going places fast if you're rerunning the same ainge show repeatedly over the weekend. treece's show is hard to listen to sometimes he actually stated today that the pacers contained Lebron in the playoffs, swain's is usually pretty good especially when gerald riggs co-hosts. seth stokes is over exposed outside of bailey he seems to be the only one with any real professional radio training, I don't think there is a lot of love lost between the basilio show and the jockacracy. From what I can gather the Ainge cutting in on tony's time was a pretty big deal.

One more for the road apparently the Arbitron ratings came out recently And The Basilio show had better ratings than all the other tsr shows combined, foooooood for thought!

there is a fair amount of that i think, you aren't going places fast if you're rerunning the same ainge show repeatedly over the weekend. treece's show is hard to listen to sometimes he actually stated today that the pacers contained Lebron in the playoffs, swain's is usually pretty good especially when gerald riggs co-hosts. seth stokes is over exposed outside of bailey he seems to be the only one with any real professional radio training, I don't think there is a lot of love lost between the basilio show and the jockacracy. From what I can gather the Ainge cutting in on tony's time was a pretty big deal.

I put 6 TFC song titles in two sentences!

I didn't know what 1180 AM was before Basilio and when he's somewhere else I won't be giving these former Vols the benefit of doubt.

I put 6 TFC song titles in two sentences!

I didn't know what 1180 AM was before Basilio and when he's somewhere else I won't be giving these former Vols the benefit of doubt.

I noticed and was impressed but not surprised, you know I usually know the songs by track number.
they need to fix the pm issue on here.

I noticed and was impressed but not surprised, you know I usually know the songs by track number.
they need to fix the pm issue on here.

Would be nice if they did.

Appreciate the info, TB will be fine.

If they want to pump ratings they should go back and just play the Basilio shows from the mid-late '90's. Classic radio.

Reactions: 2 people
One more for the road apparently the Arbitron ratings came out recently And The Basilio show had better ratings than all the other tsr shows combined, foooooood for thought!

I don't know where to find that data. I went to the Arbitron site, but WVLZ does not show as subscribing to Arbitron.

I don't know where to find that data. I went to the Arbitron site, but WVLZ does not show as subscribing to Arbitron.

It costs to be rated by Arbitron and JayBay doesn't see the value in it. I suppose since the TB show was independent of TSR and only purchased air time he may subscribe to Arbitron where the others do not.

I will say advertising on the Ainge show mainly but on TSR overall has given a boost to sales and more people mention hearing about us on there than any other media source and we advertise on WBIR,WIVK,News Sentinel, and other smaller packages on Merle FM and the new country station. It is a plus to me that the TB show will now be replaced with a TSR show since it provides more continuity in advertising. That plus I am not much of a Tony B fan overall. He is a super fan for sure, but his show was less than entertaining to me as far as what I am looking for in sports entertainment-sports talk programming. I wish him the best wherever he lands, he has a following, but at the rate TSR is growing they need to fill the spots during peak listening hours with TSR talent. Jmo.

I think Tony is more involved with UTK than we all think. I think he was friggin dean here. I think Tony is entertaining when he sniffs something out.

i was mixed on him. for a guy in the media he was wrong a WHOLE bunch and was more into pointing out flaws with UT admins and other radio show personalities, so there wasnt a bunch of substance to him.
I did however like his shows on friday the few times i listened online he always got me fired up.
He was also excellent at getting freshman jersey numbers out before anyone else, but now we usually can find out really quick via twitter

It costs to be rated by Arbitron and JayBay doesn't see the value in it. I suppose since the TB show was independent of TSR and only purchased air time he may subscribe to Arbitron where the others do not.

I will say advertising on the Ainge show mainly but on TSR overall has given a boost to sales and more people mention hearing about us on there than any other media source and we advertise on WBIR,WIVK,News Sentinel, and other smaller packages on Merle FM and the new country station. It is a plus to me that the TB show will now be replaced with a TSR show since it provides more continuity in advertising. That plus I am not much of a Tony B fan overall. He is a super fan for sure, but his show was less than entertaining to me as far as what I am looking for in sports entertainment-sports talk programming. I wish him the best wherever he lands, he has a following, but at the rate TSR is growing they need to fill the spots during peak listening hours with TSR talent. Jmo.

I keep hearing that they are growing, but I wonder how much. I mean, would a growing station just resort to putting reruns of their morning show on weekends and anywhere they have a spot to fill (even during said morning show's own timeslot)? It just seems insanely low rent. I wonder how many more reruns we'll get with a whole new timeslot to fill.

But, to be fair, I'd rather listen to a rerun of Ainge's show than anything on the sports animal.

Reactions: 3 people
I keep hearing that they are growing, but I wonder how much. I mean, would a growing station just resort to putting reruns of their morning show on weekends and anywhere they have a spot to fill (even during said morning show's own timeslot)? It just seems insanely low rent. I wonder how many more reruns we'll get with a whole new timeslot to fill.

But, to be fair, I'd rather listen to a rerun of Ainge's show than anything on the sports animal.

To be fair our other sports station just switches to CBS sports radio for most of the weekend and in the evenings. They both cover about the same amount of time otherwise.

I'm the same way.

I think that's part of the reason they do it. Its cheaper than paying for more content, and allows a decent number to catch the show that can't in the morning.

I'm the same way.

I think that's part of the reason they do it. Its cheaper than paying for more content, and allows a decent number to catch the show that can't in the morning.

I like it too since I work nights. Gives me a chance to hear it since I sleep through it normally.

I'm the same way.

they are lazy the pod casts are how you would listen to the shows you miss not the same 4 hour loop of the last ea show that aired before they take time off.

VN Store

Back