Tom Fornelli: Vol's SEC Most Overrated Team, Will Finish 3rd in the East

LOL. The media rates us, then says we're overrated and acts like all the hype is coming from UT. Meanwhile, our coaches and players keep their mouths shut and their focus on the field.

Reactions: 7 people
Articles like this remind me of Chief Brody slingin chum off the back of the Orca.

The right bait does wonders.....

Most underated: Kentucky, I pick them to be 6-6 and 4th in SECe.
Honorable mention: Arky, they bring back a good D and most of their Oline.
Most Overated: Alabama, they may very well win the SECw and even the SECCG but to rank them #1 after the attrition they suffered last year is a bit much.
Honorable mention: Ole Miss, same reason...they replace 5 on Oline, good luck Chad!
Most Schizophrenic: aTm, I have seen them rated from 2nd to 7th in SECw. Total wild card!

I understand but the perception has been that UT had the better team on a number of occasions last year, at least on paper, but did not get it done against the better teams. That the "on paper" team was not measuring up to the reality.

And so I think what people want to see is the reality catching up to the hype. Its hard to argue with that, especially when (and this is not a Tennessee issue) we year after year see teams that SHOULD do well end up being pretty mediocre. And a lot of the time there just is no consensus explanation.

So look at UT last year. What was it? Timid coaching? Conditioning late in games? A talent problem?

You've got more talent than you've had in the past. Check. More experience. Check. But is that what the issue is or has been?

I don't know. Its probably more than one thing. And it might be one thing in the first quarter, and something different in the second. What is clear is that something (or somethings) have been holding you back.

While I certainly agree that you ought to be in Atlanta this fall, and should beat everyone in the East, I admit I have some doubt. And yes, its because of the outcomes of the last couple of years, not just the issue of what is the potential this year.

I readily concede your point. I agree with you.

But it seems like you want them to say that you ARE going to be better, and that you WILL win the east, when despite predictions of dramatic improvement in the last 2 years we have yet to see it.

To be clear, I DO expect to see it. I really think you are the team to beat in the east and should end up in the cship game. Again, though, I've seen this movie before and so I just want to see it happen before I commit.

This couldn't be more spot on. For several years, lack of talent was the single biggest contributor to our struggles, IMO. I can't say that about last year. I don't know if the issue is coaching, player execution, or the general psyche of those involved in the program. There's definitely a reason we self destruct (UF '14 &'15, OU '15, ARK '15) more than we seem to rise to the challenge (USCjr '14 & UGA '15). We need to reverse that trend before everyone will believe and give respect. There's no better time for that to happen than 2016.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh plez plez plez prognoticators of football amongst the SEC of the NCAA

Oh not great ones...

Continue with your ignorance, your ineptitude..

Do it daily ...

As the great Obi Wan Nobodi might write in sports pages throughout the South...

The Volunteers, Tennessee of..great not so very are they

And Noooooobody gonna see the light at the end of the tunnel as The Big Orange Train commin at em what gonna make em flatter than a new penny on a railroad track.

A little early in the week to be hitting the bottle, don't you think?

I understand but the perception has been that UT had the better team on a number of occasions last year, at least on paper, but did not get it done against the better teams. That the "on paper" team was not measuring up to the reality.

And so I think what people want to see is the reality catching up to the hype. Its hard to argue with that, especially when (and this is not a Tennessee issue) we year after year see teams that SHOULD do well end up being pretty mediocre. And a lot of the time there just is no consensus explanation.

So look at UT last year. What was it? Timid coaching? Conditioning late in games? A talent problem?

You've got more talent than you've had in the past. Check. More experience. Check. But is that what the issue is or has been?

I don't know. Its probably more than one thing. And it might be one thing in the first quarter, and something different in the second. What is clear is that something (or somethings) have been holding you back.

While I certainly agree that you ought to be in Atlanta this fall, and should beat everyone in the East, I admit I have some doubt. And yes, its because of the outcomes of the last couple of years, not just the issue of what is the potential this year.

I readily concede your point. I agree with you.

But it seems like you want them to say that you ARE going to be better, and that you WILL win the east, when despite predictions of dramatic improvement in the last 2 years we have yet to see it.

To be clear, I DO expect to see it. I really think you are the team to beat in the east and should end up in the cship game. Again, though, I've seen this movie before and so I just want to see it happen before I commit.

good post, hard to argue with it.

Dennis Dodd: Two SEC teams will qualify for the College Football Playoff -- Alabama and LSU.

You have to love this system they have. /s

Dennis Dodd: Two SEC teams will qualify for the College Football Playoff -- Alabama and LSU.

You have to love this system they have. /s

Some people can only "imagine" a future that they've already seen happen in the past. :)

no it wasn't. :)

well, you can be a realist and still have a positive outloook can't you?

i'm really excited about this season, can't wait til next Thursday...taking thursday and Friday off, gonna play golf and watch UT football....can't wait.

this team is good enough to do it.
talent, check. experience, check. favorable home schedule, check. fl and ga, appear to be a tad off, check. top ten ranking, check. pre season hype, check.

all that's left is.....the doing. i don't think there's any harm in pointing that out. nor do i think it's bad if you take a wait and see. it has been a while since you could just roll out there and win 10 games because you showed up.

but this has the look of those kinds of teams.....

should be fun to watch.

GBO!

Reactions: 2 people
We win the east

But I think Vandy started to come on strong at the end of last year. Real chance they are better than UK and South Carolina

KY has no defense. neither does USC. MO and Vandy do, that will keep them in games.

That's true. But I have sensed a pattern here on VN of late where, when a commentator picks you to be in the SEC cship game, he's an excellent judge of talent and knows what he's talking about; whereas, if he is a skeptic of the Vols, he's a hack.

Just sayin.'

He picked vannah as most underrated. He now really has no credibility.

Tom Fornelli: It won't win the division, but Texas A&M will beat both Alabama and LSU this season.

Interesting call there. :peace2:

Sumlin is 1-7 against those two, that is one hellva a call for sure. And both are away games, one hellva a call. He might not be the smartest but he has industrial sized....

The article says this is the same team that lost to Florida for 11 years. I didn't realize we have had the same players for 11 years.

That's true. But I have sensed a pattern here on VN of late where, when a commentator picks you to be in the SEC cship game, he's an excellent judge of talent and knows what he's talking about; whereas, if he is a skeptic of the Vols, he's a hack.

Just sayin.'

When predictions of success are well thought out by examining the current roster,yes Vol fans will agree...but when the skeptics bleed that drool of "same old Vols as 2006-2014" then they appear to be uninformed hacks...Go Vols!!!...Go Cyclones!!!

I don't understand that part. Why do you think anyone here is waiting for you, a gator, to commit on Team #120? You just better be glad Georgia Southern isn't on your schedule this year. :)

BTW, I thought last year we could have done better but that was relying on too many of the 2015 freshmen. I mean, come on, rarely does an SEC champion field that many freshmen in back to back years and when teams do field talented young teams like that - it almost always eventually pays dividends - just not immediately to the instant gratification crowd (btw, I was in that crowd before it was cool).

As Tennessee fans we're going to look at our team differently than gator fans would but not differently than gator fans would see their own team in similar circumstances. :hi:

Commit to believing what I think is true.

Reactions: 2 people
well, you can be a realist and still have a positive outloook can't you?

i'm really excited about this season, can't wait til next Thursday...taking thursday and Friday off, gonna play golf and watch UT football....can't wait.

this team is good enough to do it.
talent, check. experience, check. favorable home schedule, check. fl and ga, appear to be a tad off, check. top ten ranking, check. pre season hype, check.

all that's left is.....the doing. i don't think there's any harm in pointing that out. nor do i think it's bad if you take a wait and see. it has been a while since you could just roll out there and win 10 games because you showed up.

but this has the look of those kinds of teams.....

should be fun to watch.

GBO!

Your "wait and see" is not the same as Hurd's wait and see.

Your's smells of doubt. His rings of confidence.

It will be fun to watch.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Breaking out the BS-o-meter, scanning...

scanning...

Whoops, found this, further down the page:

Site busted. BS-o-meter through da roof. Ineptitude oozing from all the pores of that article.

Go Vols! :)

I wonder if the clown knows the last time Vanderbilt beat UF ?

VN Store

Back