Todd Raleigh You Are Fired

Reasonable points by some in the thread.

Dooley wanted out of UNC to make sure he got bowl practices for 2012.

The Pearl firing was primarily mishandled because he was too open in sharing what he was told. The NCAA lawyer they hired was absurdly wrong early on. Hamilton also should never have given the interview before.the game.

He warned delmonico about the apr and was ignored. By the time he fired him no good coach wanted to come because we were down 5 players in one of the toughest conferences in college baseball.

Fulmers buyout was not Hamiltons call.

Kiffin brought Orgeron and NCAA trouble should have been expected.

Pearl? Hat hated him before he was proven right. No clear indication of NCAA trouble coming from him.

Hamilton makes mistakes. He also does not get credit for stuff like the sideline switch which was a great idea.

Overall I am still a fan.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have no reason to argue the NC game hypothesis you mention. That's not the only hypothesis one could make. That's small potatoes, however.

If it was time for Fulmer to go, it was certainly time for Delmonico. The fact remains, the person he hired hasn't gotten the job done on the field, infact it appears we are worse off, even though the APR has been improved.

The decision to give Fulmer an extension may not have been his call, I wouldn't know. However, it's hard to figure the low expectation of 8 victories as an incentive. It is my understanding that contract duties have been taken out of MH's hands in the last couple of years.

I don't know the man, nor do I wish him any ill will. It's just hard to fathom. An athletic dept. with plenty of money, great facilities, proud tradition, etc...having these kinds of problems. If we've got top ten money, why are we hiring middle of the road coaches? Why should we be happy with middle of the pack(or worse) results?

If you're willing to fire a legend with games to be played and a huge buyout, what's the deal with Raleigh? Holding out for the SEC tourney? Who knows.

Mike Hamilton isn't going to lose his job over a program that 98% of UT fans don't care about, epic failure that was the Raleigh era notwithstanding. His fate rests in the hands of Derek Dooley.

I didn't mean to insinuate he should be fired/resign over baseball. It's just another log for the .....

Mike Hamilton isn't going to lose his job over a program that 98% of UT fans don't care about, epic failure that was the Raleigh era notwithstanding. His fate rests in the hands of Derek Dooley.

Spot on- post of the day- peace out!

If that's the case, Hamilton's going to be around for a while

you can s--tcan any ideas of u.t. hiring a first rate coach as long as hamilton is the a.d. he hasn't done it yet. dooley and martin (and i sincerely wish both well) were strictly second tier coaches. could you in your wildest dreams imagine florida or notre dame offering dooley? hamilton is incapable of anything beyond the bargain rack. pearl was damaged goods. kiffin was a joke (his gig at u.s.c. is due to a bona fide idiot as a.d. who's since been fired). hammy has been horse laughed so many times when he approached big name prospects, i suspect he's developed a la. tech/m.t.s.u. mentality. as a u.t. alum, i've long thought the emphasis on athletics was overdone, but never have i wanted this to happen to my alma mater.

Nope, they've been doing so well with the "big time" coaches, why would they.

He warned delmonico about the apr and was ignored. By the time he fired him no good coach wanted to come because we were down 5 players in one of the toughest conferences in college baseball.

Not true at all ---- He selected CTR because he was recommended by someone Hamilton knew via his Clemson roots. In all candor it is hard to find someone less qualified and pay them $300,000 a year. Had Hamilton checked with umpires, scouts, researched CTR's background regarding relationships with his players at Western Carolina and done any sort of due diligence he hopefully would not have made this atrocious hire. You literally could pick someone off the street and have a 50-50 chance of doing better.

While Hamilton is a good guy and a good fund raiser apparently he is not a very dynamic or charismatic personality nor someone that someone would necessarily get excited about working for or with. Lastly, his interview with Hyams prior to Pearl being let go was inexcusable and was in extremely poor taste.

This statement is factually wrong. It is provable with numbers. He is a "genius" in just that regard. He has raised over 500 million dollars in development....it is staggering.

Awesome. Just awesome. I mean, lets forgo the fact that, under his reign as AD, the baseball program has gone down the toilet, the basketball program is under 'AA investigation, the football program hasn't cracked the top 25 in, what(?), 3 years--at least??

But wow...that quarterly statement sure looks good. You can't ignore his failures by lauding his triumphs--bc in the end, fans don't give a damn how much money he's raised.

^ Exactly what is ruining college athletics, society, and my last engagement. The Ole Greenback.

:)
No one has suggested stud new coaches...Who should be hired?

Although they have not had a very good year, what about Dan McDonnell at Louisville. This year may hurt his chances for an SEC Head Coaching job but that is certainly a name that is thrown around.

Chris Finwood at Western Kentucky would have an outside chance in my opinion.

Gary Gilmore at Coastal Carolina.

If they go the pro route I don't feel that would be a good thing due to very few pro coaches not having a full grasp of the recruiting and fund raising that is required. Perhaps if the Head guy hired a guy with a solid rep recruiting at a an SEC school or comparable conference.

I'm not sold on hiring an Asst without head coaching experience. Maybe Chad Holbrook would be the exception.

Not sure how Bakich at Maryland has been doing but that may be an outside shot.

Scott Sticklin would be a stretch but a quality guy.

No one has suggested stud new coaches...Who should be hired?

Scott Stricklen at Kent State. And pay his pitching coach Mike Birkbeck to come too.

Yea, it's a mid major hire, but he and his staff are really, really good. And Stricklen has SEC and southeast recruiting ties. He knows the area.

Who? Esmay? He played at ASU, he just got a 3 yr contract extension.

If we're going out west to talk to him, how about talking to Dave Serrano at CSF? He was an Asst. here under Delmonico, he worked with Helton, R.A. Dickey etc...I say they are worried about his degree, which is totally bogus imo, that's probably why he didn't get a word last time.

If not him, while you're out there, how about Mike Gillespie at Irvine? Don't want to spend the dough? How about Gillespie's Associate Head Coach Pat Shine. He's young and nobody around here would expect it...that way Hammy could have that "WTF" moment he so enjoys. At least he's worked with the best, and he's gone to championships at D2 as a head coach and D1 as an assistant.

Last edited:
Think Dooley ends up a great hire for UT. If he had stayed an assistant with Saban he would have Ben one of the hottest names out there. Florida didn't hire a top tier coach either. Muschamp hasn't proven anything. I bet Dooley ends up the better hire of the 2.

images

VN Store

Back