To the Pit of Misery!

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking to list your top 3 candidates. Welp I'm seeing ppl throw out names like Chaney, Norvell etc. So it got me thinking...What coach would you be disappointed with if UT hired such and such coach and make you feel like we whiffed (again)? A coach that would make you feel like we were sent to the Pit of Misery! Example: Chaney and Norvell would send me over the ledge into the Pit of Misery!

0620trumppolicies01.jpg

Mike Bobo.

He's been mentioned in a few articles as a "great candidate for Tennessee." Bobo was a good OC at Georgia, but he's been pretty mediocre as a Head Coach. He took the Colorado State program that Jim McElwain built up and he went 7-6 for two seasons without a single relevant win. He's 5-2 this year and admittedly, probably played Bama closer than we will, but I still would not be happy about hiring another "Georgia guy" with a mediocre track record as a head coach.

Norvell wouldn't be bad, but he's certainly not in my top tier. The dude knows offense. My only concern is that he has run a very pass-heavy offensive style at Memphis. In the SEC, you have to be able to run the ball. Does the Air Raid really work in the SEC? I'm not so sure. Nevertheless, I'd have more faith in Norvell to get this offense going than I do Butch Jones.

Norvell's offense is not that one-sided. Nothing like Leach's. They are middle of the pack with 158.2 rushing yards per game. Averaging 4.74 yards per rush. For contrast, Tennessee is 97th with 134.7ypg and 4.06 yards per rush.

Add that 158.2 yards to the 334 passing yards a game and you have a very balanced and prolific offense, rated at 13th in the nation.

Now the kind of offense you are confusing Norvell's with is Mike Leach's air raid. Washington St is ranked 35th in total offense at 455.0 yards a game. They are #3 in passing at 380.9, but dead last in rushing with 74.1 yards a game, averaging a paltry 2.84 yards per carry.

Let's not fool ourselves though, either offense would be a substantial improvement over the Lyle read option spread with west coast passing tree dookieball offense.

Leach's has already proved to worked in the SEC, and Norvell's certainly would.

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking to list your top 3 candidates. Welp I'm seeing ppl throw out names like Chaney, Norvell etc. So it got me thinking...What coach would you be disappointed with if UT hired such and such coach and make you feel like we whiffed (again)? A coach that would make you feel like we were sent to the Pit of Misery! Example: Chaney and Norvell would send me over the ledge into the Pit of Misery!

Why in God's name would Mike Norvell send you there? He's 14-6 at freaking Memphis, has developed a talented qb into a likely 1st-2nd round draft pick (the same one who left Jones' program) and has them in the Top 25. He was a very highly thought of and sought after OC after a lot of success at Arizona State.

I'm not saying he'd be a great hire, maybe he would be, maybe not. But to put him in the same category as Chaney who's never actually run a program and has been very spotty as an OC? Apples to oranges imho.

Why in God's name would Mike Norvell send you there? He's 14-6 at freaking Memphis, has developed a talented qb into a likely 1st-2nd round draft pick (the same one who left Jones' program) and has them in the Top 25. He was a very highly thought of and sought after OC after a lot of success at Arizona State.

I'm not saying he'd be a great hire, maybe he would be, maybe not. But to put him in the same category as Chaney who's never actually run a program and has been very spotty as an OC? Apples to oranges imho.

because he's another mid-tier coach that has NOT proven himself in the big leagues! They throw the ball constantly. Gotta be able to run the ball in the SEC. We cant take another chance on a mid tier coach. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. Dilly Dilly

The real smokescreen going on is all the Gruden chatter. While everyone gets excited the admin is quietly negotiating a deal with a mediocre sun belt coach.

Reactions: 1 person

Those 2 definitely would. I will throw Fleck, Tee Martin, JBC and Mullen in there as mine. Don't get Mullen love he has had 1 winning SEC Record at Miss St.Rest of the time it's been 4 wins or less. He's had one of the worst OOC schedules in the SEC and country since he's been there. Not completely his fault but doubt he is begging for bigger names on the schedule. So that's 4 automatic wins already.J just not a fan of PJ Fleck and only reason Tee and JBC names come up are because they are VFL's.JBC has had several off the field problems, has never had to recruit and his name alone wouldn't attract recruits like Gruden and has zero HC experience. Tee has only been an OC for going on his 2nd season and only been a college assistant coach since 2010. He knows the TN culture, knows what it's like to play and succeed in the SEC, is an elite recruiter but is still learning how to be a coach, play caller and player developer.I think he will be a very good HC one day but right now he isn't even an elite OC and have zero trust that he knows the ins and outs of what it takes to be a HC at this level. It's just gonna take him getting more experience and learning what it takes to be a HC and everything it takes to be a successful one. Like I said right now he's not even an elite OC or play caller. Can't hire guys just because they played here. And the Chaney stuff is just ridiculous and Norvell may end up another Fuente but right now his team's don't know the meaning of playing Defense. Will throw in Petrino as a bonus. Not sure any SEC team would hire him as a HC again. He just reminds me of a sleazy car salesman and wouldn't trust him to not have something off the field pop up or something that could cause issues. And not sure he could earn the trust of parents and consistently get the better recruits here that he would need to win.

Somehow I have this feeling that if no one with a track record wants to come on board, Tenn will follow LSU path and hire someone in staff, like Hoke who has HC experience. And if they go in a direction like that I will be floored.

That won't happen. Nobody on this staff will ever be a HC at TN anytime soon.

Norvell's offense is not that one-sided. Nothing like Leach's. They are middle of the pack with 158.2 rushing yards per game. Averaging 4.74 yards per rush. For contrast, Tennessee is 97th with 134.7ypg and 4.06 yards per rush.

Add that 158.2 yards to the 334 passing yards a game and you have a very balanced and prolific offense, rated at 13th in the nation.

Now the kind of offense you are confusing Norvell's with is Mike Leach's air raid. Washington St is ranked 35th in total offense at 455.0 yards a game. They are #3 in passing at 380.9, but dead last in rushing with 74.1 yards a game, averaging a paltry 2.84 yards per carry.

Let's not fool ourselves though, either offense would be a substantial improvement over the Lyle read option spread with west coast passing tree dookieball offense.

Leach's has already proved to worked in the SEC, and Norvell's certainly would.

Leach's worked when very few teams were running it and Defense's hadn't caught up. His offense wouldn't fair near as well now without much of a run game.

because he's another mid-tier coach that has NOT proven himself in the big leagues! They throw the ball constantly. Gotta be able to run the ball in the SEC. We cant take another chance on a mid tier coach. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. Dilly Dilly

Memphis rushing 2017 = 158.7 yds per game / 13 TD's

Tennessee rushing 2017 = 134.7 yds per game / 8TD's

Bobo
Petrino
Brohm

If we end up with any of these three I will be PISSED

Brohm is gonna be the next elite level Coach. What he's doing with those bottom feeder players he has at Purdue is nothing short of incredible. He gave a healthy Michigan team all they wanted and did the same to Wisconsin. He definitely isn't Dooley or Butch 2.0...would be one of my top choices after Gruden and Fuente.

Memphis rushing 2017 = 158.7 yds per game / 13 TD's

Tennessee rushing 2017 = 134.7 yds per game / 8TD's

Not quite a fair comparison when your discussing a SEC schedule vs an AAC schedule. Not to mention their pass game helps open up their run game and our passing game has been on life support all year. My doubts about Norvell would be his team's vocabulary doesn't have the word defense anywhere in it. He would have to bring in a great DC that could offset the 3 and outs that he doesn't have much in the AAC. His teams are fun to watch I enjoy watching Riley and his offense when they are clicking. They are lethal when they are. Sure would be nice to have Riley here right now although I doubt any of our incompetent offensive Coach's or HC would know how to develop him and call the right plays to match what he does well.

Check the stats on Norvell, I posted above cause its not really a one dimensional offense. Understand they've had lots of shootouts where they had to rely on the pass.

If our leadership kneels to slurp Bobby Petrino, then I promise to tap out from being a participating fan until he screws us (and 1/2 our vollyball team) over in a few years.

VN Store

Back