To Protect and to Serve II

I arrest people all the time for warrants that I know little to nothing about. It's more common than not that I know nothing about the circumstances that occurred in order for someone to get a warrant taken out on them...but...if someone is being cool with me, I can ask my dispatch what the warrant is for, if there's a bond, etc. It's something I do quite often and have (twice recently) even had people thank me for taking them to jail...or at least been cool with them, which is what I think they mean. However, if someone acts like Mr. Frank, we just go to jail. I give respect until it's time not to.

Also...I know nothing about this situation, other than the video, so I can't speak as to why they were out with Mr. Frank in the first place but...calling them the Gestapo...oook.
You mean to tell me that you would willingly go with a total stranger that claims you committed a crime or is wanted for a crime, when that person arresting you has no damn clue why they are picking you up to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean to tell me that you would willingly go with a total stranger that claims you committed a crime or is wanted for a crime, when that person arresting you has no damn clue why they are picking you up to begin with?

In lieu of fighting the cops?

A cop shouting is not an active warrant. They didn't know why they were arresting him. Then they murdered him.
Wrong. They confirmed the warrant, told him he had a warrant, attempted to take him into custody, then he fought.

1. Let's get this straight, right off the bat, this guy did not deserve to die. Period. End of story.

2. It is rare that anyone on patrol would have an arrest warrant on them--I think there might be some confusion having to show proof of a search warrant there...maybe/maybe not.
3. The officer who hopped on the tractor asked the other officer "It's confirmed?"--meaning, is the warrant confirmed through dispatch through this person's DL, name/DOB, etc--the other officer stated that it was.
4. The man shrugged away the officer's hands when he attempted to grab him by the wrist, then jumped at the officer who was attempting to get onto the tractor in a threatening manner....game on.
5. Even still, the officer whose body cam is what I assume the video comes from, continues to address the man as "Mr. Frank"...
6. At no point did their level of force exceed the level of threat. Mr. Frank was even slumped over and talking up until the point where they got him on the ground.
7. Given the fact that he had already actively fought not to go to jail, it's not unusual for someone to just go limp.
8. No one wanted that outcome. Body cam officer stated several times that he can take a look at the warrant when he gets to jail...that's his due process.
Do you have produce the warrant? Seems like in today's word of technology, producing the warrant should not be a problem, and should be mandatory.

Reactions: zeppelin128
Do you have produce the warrant? Seems like in today's word of technology, producing the warrant should not be a problem, and should be mandatory.
I don’t see why it can’t be displayed on the laptops in their cars. I know they can play solitaire/freecell on them, I’ve watched troopers do that at a red light more than once.

Let's stay on point. You and i both know it's not reasonable to produce evidence of a warrant on every arrest.
Let's say a guy gets pulled over for speeding. It's determined that he has arrest warrants. I don't think the cop should have to produce the physical warrants for that arrest. It's not practical. On the other hand, when a cop goes specifically to serve a warrant, as it appears to be in the case, there is no reason they shouldn't possess the warrant. All JMO.

Let's say a guy gets pulled over for speeding. It's determined that he has arrest warrants. I don't think the cop should have to produce the physical warrants for that arrest. It's not practical. On the other hand, when a cop goes specifically to serve a warrant, as it appears to be in the case, there is no reason they shouldn't possess the warrant. All JMO.

More than reasonable. If you come to my house and say you have a warrant, better have it with you.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

This is the point I'm trying to make. Sure, if they are going for the sole purpose of effecting a warrant arrest (or serving one), they should have it in hand.

Bigger picture, it's unreasonable and unworkable to think every jurisdiction in every State in America should be required to show proof of a warrant from every other jurisdiction in every State upon effecting an arrest for said warrant.

"You know, I know you're wanted for first degree murder in California, but I just don't have the warrant with me. Guess I'll need better luck next time and you have a good day!"

And we can even get into the VPO situation. "You know, I know you kicked the hell out of your wife and you're violating her protection order. But I just don't have it on me, so sorry ma'am, but there's nothing we can do."

The big picture is what I'm pressing at.

This is the point I'm trying to make. Sure, if they are going for the sole purpose of effecting a warrant arrest (or serving one), they should have it in hand.

Bigger picture, it's unreasonable and unworkable to think every jurisdiction in every State in America should be required to show proof of a warrant from every other jurisdiction in every State upon effecting an arrest for said warrant.

"You know, I know you're wanted for first degree murder in California, but I just don't have the warrant with me. Guess I'll need better luck next time and you have a good day!"

And we can even get into the VPO situation. "You know, I know you kicked the hell out of your wife and you're violating her protection order. But I just don't have it on me, so sorry ma'am, but there's nothing we can do."

The big picture is what I'm pressing at.
The state of today’s technology says you’re wrong. Could be as easy as an air printer.

VN Store

Back