TN @ MI St "Important Post Game Notes"

I am so proud of the new guys! They stepped up and handled business! WAY TO GO NEWBIES!!!!!

BTW: JABARI IS SUCH A GREAT BENCH CHEERLEADER! INSTEAD OF HOLLERING, "LETS GO!" ON THE COURT , He's jumping out his seat hollering it on the bench! LOl! He was really hyped up when his roomie, STELLA, made those 2 tres!!!! lmbo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Good game, glad to get a win. We did some positives things last night, but I'm going to list three negatives because, after a good night's sleep, these things are still bothering me.

1. Derek Reese needs to learn to hold onto the ball in traffic. He panics when he gets the ball no matter where he's standing on offense, tries to make a clumsy move, and gets the ball poked out. It's happening multiple times per game. Has to stop. I'm beginning to feel embarrassed for him.

2. Hubbs is showing flashes, but I noticed more than once last night that he wasn't fighting to get open. MSt. extended their defense for much of the night, and Hubbs didn't hustle to get open to help get our offense going. He also had the chance to turn the corner and get to the rim against his man on at least one occasion but stopped short and passed the ball. I don't know why he doesn't want the ball, but he could be scoring at will against these man to man defenses if he wasn't afraid of his own shadow.

3. We need to get Devon Baulkman more involved. >50% from three on the season and he only gets two shots? Run a few plays for the guy.

Well to commit 32 fouls and have 4 players foul out and to be on the road and go 12 mins without scoring in the first half, and to have Miss St shoot basically 50 fts to our 20 and to still win the game by 14 the only thing I derive from all of that is that Miss St. is one "really bad" basketball team!!!

I would add that at the end of the game after we got mugged all game with few calls, they starting calling fouls on MSU to put us on the line and stop the clock.

The refs were bad and the one foul call on the break where we dd not touch the guy was an anticipation call (big no no for a ref) but he had blew the whistle and its not like he was going to admit to that.

I don't feel as though I tend to sugar coat things, but I'll be honest, I'm not displeased with last night's game. First conference road game for this team and they shut the thing down before the midway point of the second half thanks to some opportune shooting by Reese and Mostella. Even though Richardson was not his best, he still played tough and made key plays. Armani was dreadful, but other guys stepped up and got it done. Really liking Punter

Reactions: 3 people
9 total players entering the SEC schedule is going to make it interesting. Looking forward to seeing how coach handles it. It may alter his style of play in order to be able to field 5 solid players in the last minutes of the game.

I almost punched that ref through my TV. TERRIBLE!

Remember when I told you about SEC home cooking? Last night won't be the last time your TV is in danger. Thankfully no trip to Rupp this year or I would just tell you to go ahead and get a replacement TV picked out on Amazon.

I am so proud of the new guys! They stepped up and handled business! WAY TO GO NEWBIES!!!!!
BTW: JABARI IS SUCH A GREAT BENCH CHEERLEADER! INSTEAD OF HOLLERING, "LETS GO!" ON THE COURT , He's jumping out his seat hollering it on the bench! LOl! He was really hyped up when his roomie, STELLA, made those 2 tres!!!! lmbo!
Any word about how serious Detrick's foot injury is?

Final Score: 61-47 Tennessee Win
Total fouls on TN: 32

- Detrick Mostella seemed to have hurt his left ankle and couldn't return to the game. Also noted that Detrick was holding his ankle the entire time on the bench.

-Derek Reese has received boss status from every fan who caught the game. Potential top 10 play. (Check it out if you missed it)

-Josh Richardson only scored 11 points but had 7 rebounds, 5 assist and 2 stls.

-Robert Hubbs looked very aggressive in shot selection and consistently attacked the rim. Scored 8 pts 1-3 from 3 and 3-4 from the foul line.

-Tariq Owens (freshmen) is too skinny to be an effective post in the SEC currently. We're really going to miss Jabari McGhee if he chooses to redshirt or if he can even get healthy in time.

-Armani Moore had a rough game. 0 pts 0-3 shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 4 turnovers and 5 fouls. As did Willie Carmichael (freshmen), he shot 0-3 and had 5 fouls in 22 minutes played.

-Devon Baulkman (JUCO) and Kevin Punter both had solid performances. Devon scored 10 pts, 3-7 total shooting and 2-4 from 3. Kevin scored 15 pts, shot 4-8, and 2-3 from 3.

-Tennessee had 32 total fouls. Though that's a lot, the officiating was the worst I've seen all season. We did commit some stupid fouls this game but there were far too many head scratchers.

Thanks for reading and like always, Go Vols!

I think in one stretch the refs went 8-9 seconds without calling a foul!

UT had 2 seconds left on the shot clock and had to inbound the ball. Miss St had gotten the lead down to 8. Reese caught the inbounds pass and turned around and jacked a 3 as the shot clock expired.

We did that twice in this game!!! Usually it's the other way around....finally some GOOD luck. Ugly game but a great win. Let's all get to TBA on Sat & show those inbred bummers what a crowd is!

Which one exactly are you talking about?

I think that it was on a breakaway by MSU after a TN turnover. MSU was driving from the left, took the ball to the rim, TN defender was trailing and pulled up at the last second rather than hacking the driver. Basket made plus one free throw. I think the defender was Punter.

I think it's at 8:05 in the second half

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/playbyplay/NCAAB_20150107_TENN@MISSST_2

Last edited:
I think that it was on a breakaway by MSU after a TN turnover. MSU was driving from the left, took the ball to the rim, TN defender was trailing and pulled up at the last second rather than hacking the driver. Basket made plus one free throw. I think the defender was Punter.

NCAA College Basketball Play by Play - Tennessee vs. Mississippi State - Jan 07, 2015 - CBSSports.com

That was it. Punter even raised his hands away from the player and he still called it.

SEC doing what the SEC does in every sport - field corrupt officials.

That was it. Punter even raised his hands away from the player and he still called it.

SEC doing what the SEC does in every sport - field corrupt officials.

Classic case of an official allowing himself to get caught up in the moment and the crowd, and then anticipating the foul call when it never actually happened.

NCAA College Basketball Play by Play - Tennessee vs. Mississippi State - Jan 07, 2015 - CBSSports.com

Yeah. I remember that one. It did look like Punter pulled up to concede the layup and the ref just decided to call it anyway.

All these ref calls are backfiring on the league. Donnie still has them playing tough defense and figuring out ways to win. Not backing down an inch. Everybody but Campbell plays serious minutes every game. This will make the team better this year and in the future. Obviously need a quality PG and C, but they compensate for it with quickness, length, and playing within the system.

Donnie does what Zo talked about doing. As expected Cal is starting to back up. Got beat badly by a now 9-6 USC last night. Their early W's were against creme puffs except for the early win against Syracuse. They even lost to 4-11 Cal State Bakersfield at home - his Austin Peay moment.

:eek:lol:
Remember when I told you about SEC home cooking? Last night won't be the last time your TV is in danger. Thankfully no trip to Rupp this year or I would just tell you to go ahead and get a replacement TV picked out on Amazon.

That was brutal. Great job by both coaches keeping their benches from clearing. The crowd was dangerously hostile as well. Could have been ugly.

That was brutal. Great job by both coaches keeping their benches from clearing. The crowd was dangerously hostile as well. Could have been ugly.

I agree with you about the crowd. Imagine if all the State fans had stormed the court in anger. It would have taken at least 2 or 3 minutes to round all 19 or so of them up.

Reactions: 2 people
Wtf thats absurd.

There was a point in the 2nd half where you could see CDT started to argue then just turned around and walked away with a "what's the point" kind of look at the ref.

The calls that bothered me were the block call (on punter I think) when the kid basically just jumped straight into him. And the horrible charge call on Armani where he tried to back the guy down and the defender flopped so hard it looked like he'd been hit with a wrecking ball. Both were in the 1st half.

VN Store

Back