'19 TN DT Tymon Mitchell

no it was collateral from our fans reaction to Butch. Mays was committed to UT and Butch, Mays was quoted as saying he didn't like how Butch was treated by UT.
Where was that quoted? Ive heard this before, but I have never once seen it. Please show me. Mays decommited from UT AND Butch, so I'm curious.

Mays decommited before Butch was fired.
but long after it was clear Butch was gone. Not sure where the quote was from, would have to dig up his thread. But if he wasn't upset why didn't he talk much/at all with Pruitt/Fulmer? and where did the infamous song come from, doubt he picked up that regard for UT at home or from a quick/large pile of money.

but long after it was clear Butch was gone. Not sure where the quote was from, would have to dig up his thread. But if he wasn't upset why didn't he talk much/at all with Pruitt/Fulmer? and where did the infamous song come from, doubt he picked up that regard for UT at home or from a quick/large pile of money.
I want to see that quote. I'm not saying he didn't say it, or something like it...I've just heard it mentioned a few times and have never seen it.

Last edited:
Probably didn’t help that Mays and Butch’s son both played/play at catholic. So if he was mad about Butch being “treated poorly” then that would further explain a little bit of disdain for UT after being 110% vol for over a year

Probably didn’t help that Mays and Butch’s son both played/play at catholic. So if he was mad about Butch being “treated poorly” then that would further explain a little bit of disdain for UT after being 110% vol for over a year
I think he soured on all of it...Butch, the program, UT, the fans...and then Pittman swooped in, and by the time Fulmer/Pruitt came along, his mind was made up, influenced greatly by fans reaction to his decommitment. From the moment Franks completed that pass, it was a complete sh*tshow in Knoxville, and it just kept getting worse and worse. So many factors as to why we lost Mays, but I don't believe it's because of how Butch was treated. I could be wrong, definitely would not be the first time.

Never said it was. Although "proximity don't mean diggity son" according to some, a kid who grows up in the shadow of your stadium is a kid you should get, regardless of who is coaching. Further, common sense would suggest that a university located in Knox County, would have a better likelihood of landing your average kid from Knox County than Palo Alto, CA. Now, am I saying we give every kid from Knox County with the slightest aptitude for playing football a scholarship? Of course not. What I am saying is that the kids with the size and athleticism to play big time college ball on the lines of scrimmage, particularly in the SEC, are sufficiently rare enough that in the future, to build the sort of depth we need at those positions, we want to keep the ones we do grow here in Tennessee, who are good enough for Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia here in Tennessee and wearing the Power T. Absolutely, we should look for these players in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and wherever else they may be found, but our odds of keeping a Cade Mays at home, on average, should always be better than getting an Ohio kid that Ohio State wants, a Pennsylvania kid that Penn State wants, etc., regardless of who is coaching. This is such a basic principle, that it was incorporated into basically every NCAA football game ever made. It's not that hard to understand. And no, I don't believe we didn't want Tymon Mitchell, you guys are free to believe that if you wish of course but you can look at the history of this very thread, that "we don't want him" spin started when it started looking like we weren't going to get him. Regardless, it is not a crisis that we didn't get him or Cade Mays, it's just that to get this program humming optimally, and build that depth we need, we'll want it to be as tough to get Tennessee kids out of Tennessee as it is to get Louisiana kids away from LSU historically, this year not withstanding. Flame away.
TL;DR

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Never said it was. Although "proximity don't mean diggity son" according to some, a kid who grows up in the shadow of your stadium is a kid you should get, regardless of who is coaching. Further, common sense would suggest that a university located in Knox County, would have a better likelihood of landing your average kid from Knox County than Palo Alto, CA. Now, am I saying we give every kid from Knox County with the slightest aptitude for playing football a scholarship? Of course not. What I am saying is that the kids with the size and athleticism to play big time college ball on the lines of scrimmage, particularly in the SEC, are sufficiently rare enough that in the future, to build the sort of depth we need at those positions, we want to keep the ones we do grow here in Tennessee, who are good enough for Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia here in Tennessee and wearing the Power T. Absolutely, we should look for these players in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and wherever else they may be found, but our odds of keeping a Cade Mays at home, on average, should always be better than getting an Ohio kid that Ohio State wants, a Pennsylvania kid that Penn State wants, etc., regardless of who is coaching. This is such a basic principle, that it was incorporated into basically every NCAA football game ever made. It's not that hard to understand. And no, I don't believe we didn't want Tymon Mitchell, you guys are free to believe that if you wish of course but you can look at the history of this very thread, that "we don't want him" spin started when it started looking like we weren't going to get him. Regardless, it is not a crisis that we didn't get him or Cade Mays, it's just that to get this program humming optimally, and build that depth we need, we'll want it to be as tough to get Tennessee kids out of Tennessee as it is to get Louisiana kids away from LSU historically, this year not withstanding. Flame away.
You are so very wrong. A kid growing up in the shadow of a stadium wants to get out of that shadow most of time. Have you ever left the state? People want to get away from what they have always known. Its human nature. Understand it.

You are so very wrong. A kid growing up in the shadow of a stadium wants to get out of that shadow most of time. Have you ever left the state? People want to get away from what they have always known. Its human nature. Understand it.
You are so right, that's exactly why former local Knoxville high school greats like Todd Helton and Reggie Cobb signed with SEC rivals back in the day...wait what?

Reactions: The Dog
this is also not true. small time schools get far more local kids than they do national. even the out-of-staters are usually from neighboring states. its only with the big time money in recruiting that you see kids leave and go elsewhere. 37 of MTSU's 113 roster is from TN. only 15 are from outside the area. but that includes some kids from Ohio and Indiana, which isn't really that far.

think about your graduating high school class. I bet most didn't move all that far away. most probably stayed in town.

here is a link to something to back it up. https://ink.niche.com/going-away-college-data-dive-350000-hs-grads/

Niche data shows that 58 percent of students go to a college within 100 miles of their hometown, and 72 percent of students stay in-state. Only 11 percent of students venture more than 500 miles.

Reactions: LaagerVol

Don't buy this. Every kid is different. Some kids want the challenge of blazing their own path. Some kids want the security of familiarity.

IMO, Kevin Mays didn't want the challenge of what coming to UT offered. He chose what he perceived as the easier path. I have no doubt that if the Vols hadn't been a dumpster fire, he would be a vol today. Hope it works out for him.

Don't buy this. Every kid is different. Some kids want the challenge of blazing their own path. Some kids want the security of familiarity.

IMO, Kevin Mays didn't want the challenge of what coming to UT offered. He chose what he perceived as the easier path. I have no doubt that if the Vols hadn't been a dumpster fire, he would be a vol today. Hope it works out for him.
Kevin Mays was a Vol.

*Keith?

Kevin Mays was a Vol.
tenor.gif

this is also not true. small time schools get far more local kids than they do national. even the out-of-staters are usually from neighboring states. its only with the big time money in recruiting that you see kids leave and go elsewhere. 37 of MTSU's 113 roster is from TN. only 15 are from outside the area. but that includes some kids from Ohio and Indiana, which isn't really that far.

think about your graduating high school class. I bet most didn't move all that far away. most probably stayed in town.

here is a link to something to back it up. https://ink.niche.com/going-away-college-data-dive-350000-hs-grads/
Can't equate normal college kids to athletes and yes smaller schools get more local kids because those kids don't get a lot of out of state offers. I still think A LOT of kids look to blaze their own path elsewhere. You want something to back it up? Look at our class RIGHT NOW.

Can't equate normal college kids to athletes and yes smaller schools get more local kids because those kids don't get a lot of out of state offers. I still think A LOT of kids look to blaze their own path elsewhere. You want something to back it up? Look at our class RIGHT NOW.
you weren't specifying D1 kids.

and bringing our class into it means nothing. What the TN high school students themselves WANT and what we actually have are two completely different things. because of what WE want, not what they want.

Reactions: LaagerVol

VN Store

Back