'22 TN ATH/RB Dallan Hayden (Ohio State commit)

Dallan Hayden is a very, very good back.... He was grossly misused by former RB coach Tony Alford. When he was in games he was very productive. He would have probably started at Ohio State next year if he would have stuck it out... Make no mistake he is an excellent back and I'd take him every day including sunday.

It seems like it would be very difficult to convince a RB to come after Spring with Sampson solidified as the starter.
Yep. I think we'll roll with Bishop and Keith. Just blows my mind that kids always seem to be injured right before spring ball and become questions for the fall. Why wait to schedule needed surgeries?

Yep. I think we'll roll with Bishop and Keith. Just blows my mind that kids always seem to be injured right before spring ball and become questions for the fall. Why wait to schedule needed surgeries?
I thought pre-injury Bishop showed some real promise last year. He seemed to have a knack in finding a way to get some yards where none appeared available

It seems like it would be very difficult to convince a RB to come after Spring with Sampson solidified as the starter.
I agree. Our running back shelf is looking pretty crowded. Unless the kid just wants to play for his dad's old college, I don't see him just coming here because he sees a genuine opportunity. However I do think that if he were to show up here, he would at least find himself being our number two running back.

I agree. Our running back shelf is looking pretty crowded. Unless the kid just wants to play for his dad's old college, I don't see him just coming here because he sees a genuine opportunity. However I do think that if he were to show up here, he would at least find himself being our number two running back.
Competition brings out the best in the best. Just look at Jalen Hurd. He was guaranteed the gig and it did him no favors.

Reactions: xpsyclonex2002
We have a brief window with Nico. If we can add someone like Hayden, do it. He and Sampson would be a good 1-2 combo. And there is no guarantee Seldons shoulder is ever 100% all year. See Jabari Small.
Im all for it but the pass protection comments from Ohio state fans even though they praise his running ability still give me pauseā€¦Sampson was not good in pass pro last year but he was also young so there is room for improvement.

Dallan is a redshirt junior and if he is still having trouble with pass pro that is a problemā€¦

he would almost undoubtedly get more work as a number 2 here than he would at Ohio State. Our number 3 got more yards and touches than their #2.

but if pass pro is a problem, its probably not a fit.

If we go after a RB, would think we'd go after a senior. We have a young RB room as is.
Sampson and Hayden are in the same class. Both could theoretically leave after this season. When it comes to RBs, everyone eats in this offense.

Reactions: SoilVol
We have a brief window with Nico. If we can add someone like Hayden, do it. He and Sampson would be a good 1-2 combo. And there is no guarantee Seldons shoulder is ever 100% all year. See Jabari Small.
Why risk Nico when it has already being stated that Hayden has a weakness at protecting the QB? I do not see any kind of benefit of UT signing this kid. If the kid could be a starter at OSU next year why would he be looking to transfer other than seeking a higher paycheck?

Reactions: DaddyChad
Why risk Nico when it has already being stated that Hayden has a weakness at protecting the QB? I do not see any kind of benefit of UT signing this kid. If the kid could be a starter at OSU next year why would he be looking to transfer other than seeking a higher paycheck?
This. And even moreso this in our system where we donā€™t sub during a series. Sampson is risk enough with his struggles in pass protection. Unless rumors of his pass protection struggles are overplayed I would pass on this one.

Reactions: onevol74
Man Hayden is a beast when he's been on the field and I would take him any day over the guys we have behind Sampson.Thats not a knock on Keith or anyone but give me the 2 year college experienced guy over a bunch of fresh dudes who haven't really played yet..

Hayden may have warts in pass pro or whatever but I'd put my money on him before the others..I would be curious as to why he is transfering??Was it more a Hayden thing or competition who knows??I get it though there's a lot more to him coming here than just "Hey u wanna be a Vol toss them pads on" lol...

Reactions: SoilVol
Don't see the need to add another RB. All things considered, we should have 5 healthy backs going into fall camp.

Bishop and Keith getting all these reps this spring helps strengthen the depth at the position in case of an injury. Plus the staff seems real high on Peyton Lewis. I think we will be fine.

Don't see the need to add another RB. All things considered, we should have 5 healthy backs going into fall camp.

Bishop and Keith getting all these reps this spring helps strengthen the depth at the position in case of an injury. Plus the staff seems real high on Peyton Lewis. I think we will be fine.
You are correct.

A lot of these other people are being victims of the moment

I feel the same way. And maybe Hayden is content with being in a 1 & 2 committee behind Sampson. He saw us successfully utilize 3 backs last year. If he puts together a solid campaign he will have very little tread on his tires and could get drafted.

From our perspective, Seldon is unproven and injured. Keith, Bishop, and Lewis are unproven. Hayden brings a ton of experience.

Trust the staff with it if they do or don't. If they don't then that makes me think they really like what they've seen from the youth.

Im all for it but the pass protection comments from Ohio state fans even though they praise his running ability still give me pauseā€¦Sampson was not good in pass pro last year but he was also young so there is room for improvement.

Dallan is a redshirt junior and if he is still having trouble with pass pro that is a problemā€¦
So what happens if you were to add Hayden but Bishop and Keith decided to leave? Unlikely but could happen. I donā€™t see where he is worth the risk or roster spot. Seems like we could use OL in the portal.

Reactions: GoodTimeVol

VN Store

Back