Timing of staff changes (if any) ?

volmandu

We have not seen any staff changes after a disappointing season. I know fans would like to see some upgrades. I am curious on whether it is better to make those changes before or after the bowl game ?
In my opinion, if we were headed to new year's bowl or playoffs, any changes would have to be after those games but for smaller bowls like MCB, wouldn't bringing in new staff allow you to recruit better ?
It could hurt chances of winning the bowl game by losing continuity but it would also allow new staff to slowly add new wrinkles to their side. Similarly, due to timing of staff changes, if any, it does hurt in getting early enrollees.

What are your thoughts ? Better to do them before or after bowl games or really doesn't matter ?

Why question the stability of the coaching staff the day before their bowl game. Recruits come on here and read this, you are killing recruiting.

On a serious note, probably after NSD for any position coach. That was recruits are signed. AD could be in place by then to work contract etc. S and C should be pretty soon, maybe after nfl season ends.

Reactions: 7 people
The coaching convention is next Sunday. If there are changes I would suspect them to be within the next few weeks.

after the Bowl game...things (should...if not, then Butch IS a Loser) will start to happen...

We have not seen any staff changes after a disappointing season. I know fans would like to see some upgrades. I am curious on whether it is better to make those changes before or after the bowl game ?
In my opinion, if we were headed to new year's bowl or playoffs, any changes would have to be after those games but for smaller bowls like MCB, wouldn't bringing in new staff allow you to recruit better ?
It could hurt chances of winning the bowl game by losing continuity but it would also allow new staff to slowly add new wrinkles to their side. Similarly, due to timing of staff changes, if any, it does hurt in getting early enrollees.

What are your thoughts ? Better to do them before or after bowl games or really doesn't matter ?

Definitely not a matter of if just a matter of how many and how soon. I would expect everything to really begin after the bowl game. You are just begging for transfers and other problems waiting till after signing day to make quite a few changes.Kids that had just signed and their parents could feel like they were lied to about who would be there this year. Not to mention we really could only improve with assistant coach recruiting. Then throw in the negative recruiting that Butch is waiting till after signing day to make several changes. Just highly doubt it extends past signing day.

My guess is we will know something maybe as early as next week. I read yesterday that Hoke is a real possibility as well as Fair. Reading between the lines of stuff I've read, I think Helfrich is a maybe? I'm no "insider", but there's been plenty of chatter about these guys. It's pretty much a general consensus that two assistants are going to be gone and maybe Strip if he retires.

My guess is we will know something maybe as early as next week. I read yesterday that Hoke is a real possibility as well as Fair. Reading between the lines of stuff I've read, I think Helfrich is a maybe? I'm no "insider", but there's been plenty of chatter about these guys. It's pretty much a general consensus that two assistants are going to be gone and maybe Strip if he retires.

Man .. I would love it if anything you said happened. Hoke, Terry Fair and Helfrich (any of these really if not all) could really boost football morale in this town ! My only thing is that if I was landing these guys, I would be doing it right away rather than waiting. Helfrich hiring could help us land/flip some good WRs and QBs. Same with other assistants.

It all depends on the situation. As of today, you don't do it at the bowl site. And you only fire an assistant in season if he embarrasses the program. But you finish the season and take care of your present team before you fret about the future.

If a change is needed, it needs to be done ASAP after the bowl game is over. Even if there is a recruit that coach has the inside track on, you are doing your program and that recruit a disservice by holding off.

But when you make these changes, you need to make absolutely sure the guy you are bringing in works well with the other coaches on his side of the ball. And as this year played out, I think we learned that is not always an easy transition.

Man .. I would love it if anything you said happened. Hoke, Terry Fair and Helfrich (any of these really if not all) could really boost football morale in this town ! My only thing is that if I was landing these guys, I would be doing it right away rather than waiting. Helfrich hiring could help us land/flip some good WRs and QBs. Same with other assistants.

Remember this: the absolute worst thing in the world a football coach can do is to bring in coaches to appease the damn fans. And any coach you bring in rarely makes an immediate impact in recruiting. Larry Scott is the exception, not the rule. Changes may help next years class, but usually hurts the incoming class.

If you have a staff problem, there is no recruit worth keeping. Plus, it would be manipulative to keep a coach long enough to sign a kid and then fire the coach. Butch dug this hole. I'm still suspect of the rumors that attempted to paint Jancek as some sort of philodendron.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Butch's character would not allow him to do anything to imply punishment for any of his staff. And rightly so. Let's have fun tomorrow and send off our seniors (and anyone else who plans on leaving), and then start the new cycle of rumors and innuendo.

If you have a staff problem, there is no recruit worth keeping. Plus, it would be manipulative to keep a coach long enough to sign a kid and then fire the coach. Butch dug this hole. I'm still suspect of the rumors that attempted to paint Jancek as some sort of philodendron.

Jancek was never going to be accepted by VN until he left. Butch did him a favor. :)

Why question the stability of the coaching staff the day before their bowl game. Recruits come on here and read this, you are killing recruiting.

On a serious note, probably after NSD for any position coach. That was recruits are signed. AD could be in place by then to work contract etc. S and C should be pretty soon, maybe after nfl season ends.
omg...You are killing recruiting ? Have you watched any football ? We lost to 2 of the worst teams in the east. We need to upgrade.

Reactions: 5 people
31 December: house cleaning on DB, OL and S&C for starters. Bring in a QB coach/OC. Don't rule out LB coach going as well.

Outside chance TE coach gets an offer for HC...and for coach Z to get released/Debord retirement.

IMO, we should get a S & C coach ASAP as he will work with the EEs and with the entire team over the winter when the other coaches can't.

IMO, we should get a S & C coach ASAP as he will work with the EEs and with the entire team over the winter when the other coaches can't.

Will be announced after the rams game. Probably Monday or Tuesday if it does in fact end up being Gullickson.

31 December: house cleaning on DB, OL and S&C for starters. Bring in a QB coach/OC. Don't rule out LB coach going as well.

Outside chance TE coach gets an offer for HC...and for coach Z to get released/Debord retirement.

For LB, Bob Diaco deserves a look.

omg...You are killing recruiting ? Have you watched any football ? We lost to 2 of the worst teams in the east. We need to upgrade.

You are talking about South Carolina, the team that just took USF to overtime before losing and Vanderbilt that also beat Georgia and Ole Miss before its bowl game debacle with powerful NC St.

Why would we want to change any coaches. Injuries to most of our top defensive players and some OL caused those loses. Not the coaches.

Our current coaches are great recruiters. Let them do their job which right now is to beat Nebraska.

FIRE'EM ALL.... i heard manning, gruden and cutcliffe are coming back.. the changes will happen after bowl game just relax

I agree. If any of the injuries we had this year really is due to failings in the S&C program, that is priority number 1. Even above hiring the right AD.

You do realize that level of "house cleaning" could seriously deplete this year's class, and all these "new and improved" staff members have less than 30 days to patch it up, right?

You are suggesting the kind of staff changes Dooley had every year we had him. I don't care if every new coach will one day have solid gold statues erected in the mount Olympus of football, gutting the staff is an act of lunacy to appease journalists and knuckleheads.

VN Store

Back