TIME TO MOVE ON!!!

No! We can’t risk losing Nico in these last two meaningless games.
Losing what exactly? I am confused why everyone is so scared to play him. When he has gotten his chances he had looked smooth with the ball. He has been decisive on tucking the ball and running snd has shown he can be accurate on the run. What do we have to lose by playing him?

What if we get into next year and he’s not it? We need to know what he can do with the starters in live action before next year comes. What’s the difference in not playing him this year thsn rolling him out next year with no snaps at all? At least of he has a couple games under his belt, we know what he is like in game action.

Nico is getting a redshirt. Period. After today, why not. Nothing is gained by burning the front end at the expense of the back end. Joe's played all this year for a reason, Nico is a part of it. Not happening.

What about the 3 RBs who've completely no-showed in the 3 losses? A combined 219 yards among them, and an individual best of 63 and 35, both against Florida, and ZERO TDs. That's a helluva lot worse than anything Milton's done. Are we ready to move on from them?
When the other team is hell bent on stacking the box and tksing away the run, what do you want them to do? It’s hard to run when they are expecting the run and playing man coverage in the outside. They was gonna make sure we did not beat them running the ball, and if we won it would be throwing it.

I’ll say this again, Milton did not lose the game for us and I’m not calling for him to benched due to bad play. I’m simply saying is we are not getting any different results with Nico than Milton and there is no benefit to playing Milton beyond these next 2 games. There is however benefit to play Nico and getting him live reps for next year. If Milton was coming back next year, fine, I would say play him all season as he needs the experience. But that’s not the case now is it?

Last 2 years teams couldn’t just key on the run, they had to play both the pass and run every down. This year when teams stop the run we lose. Even after tonight the Vols are still #1 in rushing in the SEC. Expect UGA to come out with the same mentality and load the box up and make us pass to beat them. I mean 3 plays entire 1st quarter and 2 are runs. They was not scared of us passing the ball to beat them.

Nico is getting a redshirt. Period. After today, why not. Nothing is gained by burning the front end at the expense of the back end. Joe's played all this year for a reason, Nico is a part of it. Not happening.
Nothing is gained by redshirting Nico. Heupel is already in record stating he is not redshirting him. If he is as good as everyone thinks he will be, he won’t be here for 4 years. And if he is here his senior year then we have another problem. And that’s him not being as good as we all thought and UT QB situation is in just as worse shape than now. Next year we gonna start Nico with minimal snaps with a freshman Merklinger backing him up. I sure hope it works out, because if not we are scared worse next year than this year.

Why are you guys so quick to want to see Nico get eaten by Georgia? This is an emotional overaction. Milton was hardly the problem tonight. A running game, special teams, and the defense were the places you should be pointing your finger if anywhere.
All I’m saying is our record is most likely the same regardless who the QB is. What did you say when Dobbs started his 1st game in Tuscaloosa as a freshman? This has nothing to do with Milton. It has everything to do with getting Nico snaps and experience going into next year.

Benching a guy who stuck it out and was a good teammate for the last two games of his career likely wouldn’t be a great move for the locker room and may not be the signal you want to send to Nico and others. Milton will start the next two, Nico will likely play second half of Vandy, and maybe next week if UGA is up big

I doubt you see Nico vs UGA. Didn’t see him down 4 TDs against Missouri.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Nothing is gained by redshirting Nico. Heupel is already in record stating he is not redshirting him. If he is as good as everyone thinks he will be, he won’t be here for 4 years. And if he is here his senior year then we have another problem. And that’s him not being as good as we all thought and UT QB situation is in just as worse shape than now. Next year we gonna start Nico with minimal snaps with a freshman Merklinger backing him up. I sure hope it works out, because if not we are scared worse next year than this year.
Not disagreeing with you. Just stating my opinion that, for whatever reason, they appear to be shooting for the minimum for Nico. And it'll equate to a redshirt. Play him, don't play him, not the big issue for me. Finding an OL with which to run the ball against teams that matter -- does.

A little perspective may not hurt… USC is sitting at 7-4 with a returning Heisman trophy winner and likely the first NFL draft pick at QB. Joe has played better this year than he gets credit for. Frankly, I thought JM, Thornton Jr. and Samson were the only bright spots in the game yesterday.

All I’m saying is our record is most likely the same regardless who the QB is. What did you say when Dobbs started his 1st game in Tuscaloosa as a freshman? This has nothing to do with Milton. It has everything to do with getting Nico snaps and experience going into next year.
Not even close to being the same situation, reasoning, or goal.

The only way Nico starts this year is if Milton skips the bowl game. If you know anything about how Josh Heupel operates, there’s no chance that he is benching Milton for senior day against Vandy.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Benching a guy who stuck it out and was a good teammate for the last two games of his career likely wouldn’t be a great move for the locker room and may not be the signal you want to send to Nico and others. Milton will start the next two, Nico will likely play second half of Vandy, and maybe next week if UGA is up big
I've been thinking about this "lose the locker room" business as well as Heupel being a "players coach". Should it not be a 2 way street? Heupel is supposed to stick with and support Joe Milton because he's a good guy and has been loyal. So when a team or a good many players just mail it in against SCjr last year, UF this year, bama for a half this year and the entire game against Mizzou this year, isn't it fair to think this team might lose a position coach, coordinator or head coach? Why wouldn't a staff look to someone else if the player they put their faith in isn't getting it done or giving 100% for 4 quarters? Is that the coaches fault? Does the coach not owe it to the rest of the team to play any player who can help the team win?

I can accept our talent deficiencies and losing as long as the fight is there. For a good many, it was not there on Saturday. Aside from the talent deficiencies on this team, a bigger problem is our staff trying a bit too hard to be "players coaches" instead of just being coaches? Maybe turning to a younger player and putting some of these secure juniors/seniors on the bench is precisely what this staff should have done far earlier this season? Based on Saturday's performance, it's hard to imagine things being any worse. For that matter, the fans would be a lot less upset knowing a kids youth led to the breakdowns instead of a lack of effort by upperclassmen. Maybe that's how bama and uga keep their teams focused week in and week out. You take a play off at those places and there's someone salivating at the prospect of taking your job and more importantly, they know those coaching staffs won't hesitate to pull the trigger. Look at the impact on Milroe. Everyone said Milroe would be done when they benched him early in the season. Didn't turn out that way at all. Probably lit a fire under him that's led to a very solid year from the kid. No, I'm not calling for Nico. Just using Milroe as an example. Yeah, the stench from the Mizzou embarrassment remains in my nostrils.

I've been thinking about this "lose the locker room" business as well as Heupel being a "players coach". Should it not be a 2 way street? Heupel is supposed to stick with and support Joe Milton because he's a good guy and has been loyal. So when a team or a good many players just mail it in against SCjr last year, UF this year, bama for a half this year and the entire game against Mizzou this year, isn't it fair to think this team might lose a position coach, coordinator or head coach? Why wouldn't a staff look to someone else if the player they put their faith in isn't getting it done or giving 100% for 4 quarters? Is that the coaches fault? Does the coach not owe it to the rest of the team to play any player who can help the team win?

I can accept our talent deficiencies and losing as long as the fight is there. For a good many, it was not there on Saturday. Aside from the talent deficiencies on this team, a bigger problem is our staff trying a bit too hard to be "players coaches" instead of just being coaches? Maybe turning to a younger player and putting some of these secure juniors/seniors on the bench is precisely what this staff should have done far earlier this season? Based on Saturday's performance, it's hard to imagine things being any worse. For that matter, the fans would be a lot less upset knowing a kids youth led to the breakdowns instead of a lack of effort by upperclassmen. Maybe that's how bama and uga keep their teams focused week in and week out. You take a play off at those places and there's someone salivating at the prospect of taking your job and more importantly, they know those coaching staffs won't hesitate to pull the trigger. Look at the impact on Milroe. Everyone said Milroe would be done when they benched him early in the season. Didn't turn out that way at all. Probably lit a fire under him that's led to a very solid year from the kid. No, I'm not calling for Nico. Just using Milroe as an example. Yeah, the stench from the Mizzou embarrassment remains in my nostrils.
You make valid points

Can't really just move on as far as coaches they have to evaluate what just happened, come up with a viable solution, then they can move on. Fans have no choice.

Can't really just move on as far as coaches they have to evaluate what just happened, come up with a viable solution, then they can move on. Fans have no choice.
Usually, I'm one of the first to call for moving on and focusing on the next opponent, but in this case, I don't think it matters....at all. This week the fans have every right to focus on losing a game they could have won and really needed for a great finish to the season instead of a game they have little hope of winning. Yeah, I know beating uga would put us right back in the chase for the citrus and possible 10 win season which would be borderline miraculous for this roster, but that's really just wishful, if not fantastical, thinking on the part of the fans. No, I kinda think this team and staff needs to keep hearing about the 36-7 laydown. Then again, for it to bother them, it would mean they have pride to be wounded. I'm sure some do, but I'm equally convinced that a good many don't.

Unless Milton was your kid, should never fall in love with someone that can't come through when the stakes are at their highest and you are in desperate need of a win to salvage the mediocre season.

He’s still a great dude who has a bad game one time in every three. He has flashes of unparalleled athleticism but is inconsistent. I still love the guy like I love all these guys beating the ish out of themselves to bring acclaim to this University. We are what the record says we are.

Is a mediocre season really that disappointing given our preseason over/under? We’re staring down the barrel of 8 wins plus a middling bowl appearance, no? That was realistic worst case back in August. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unwad your panties, Gladys.

IMG_2906.jpeg

The only way Nico starts this year is if Milton skips the bowl game. If you know anything about how Josh Heupel operates, there’s no chance that he is benching Milton for senior day against Vandy.
Agree.
However, I see NO chance that Milton decides to skip bowl game. He'll feel the need to bestow his brilliance upon us one last time.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back