Tim Banks is either lying or delusional.

I never witnessed Pruitts genius while.he was at Tennessee. I believe our defense with.Banks would shut down Ga. State.
Yeah we were talking about the worst defense in history. A guy said it was this year. I said Sal Sunseri was worse and better as a DC than Sunseri. Banks is not relevant to my reference of Sunseri holding Pruitt's jockstrap.

You took one sentence and made a comment. If you read the whole thread, I said our defense was the worst defense for one game. Sal Sunseri’s defense was worse overall. If your going to comment, read the whole thread.
Not going to read the whole thread and I comment so what? What are you going to do about it?
What you said was this was the worst defense you had ever seen. I disagree. Single game or season. You do Mr. Overly sensitive.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
To the defense genius please send your resume to CJH beginning 1/2/23. If you can't recruit 5* defense linemen, linebackers and defensive backs please save him the trouble. GBO!

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
We are 10-2, we have some issues but this is far far far from the worst defense overall ever. Our run D was actually pretty stout this year as was red zone defense. We had some lapses but we also had some good games by the D as well. You are what your record says you are. We are 10-2. Our D is going to continue to get better! Garners group will continue to get stronger and tougher!!!!GBO!

Last edited:
Defense won the Pitt game, especially in the second half. We scored 3 points in the second half. Defense dominated UK.

People will use whatever metric to try to support their opinion, but yards per game is not a good metric to use with our offense.
Very true if you take into consideration how many drives our offense runs then the numbers are high but they are not as bad as they seem. Let say our offense has 13 drive and the other team has 11 drives. Now in those 11 drive the opponent avg yards per drive is 40 but only scores 20 points for the whole game. That means we would have allowed 440 total in that game so it pretty much comes down to getting over the field and stop allowing our opponent to go 80 yards down the field 6 to 10 times which is pretty much what happened against Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina.

To the defense genius please send your resume to CJH beginning 1/2/23. If you can't recruit 5* defense linemen, linebackers and defensive backs please save him the trouble. GBO!
If you can't recruit.......please read your sentences before hitting send. DA.......

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
So you think since the offense was number one in the country in year two - an amazing feat in everyone's eyes - that therefore the defense has no excuse not to improve more in year two over one? And, I believe I saw that scoring defense was in the 40's, which is a significant improvement.
The D doesnt need to be #1. Top 30 or better? Probably. However... the most common measure of team defense is total defense. You can pick and choose stats all you want to try and find improvement. Improvement across the board should be expected. We havent improved but MARGINALLY on defense from last year. I cant understand why so many get so defensive because I point out obvious deficiencies. Our defense MUST improve dramatically for us to win any type of championship. Or maybe we just stop playing for champioships and reset expectations.

The D doesnt need to be #1. Top 30 or better? Probably. However... the most common measure of team defense is total defense. You can pick and choose stats all you want to try and find improvement. Improvement across the board should be expected. We havent improved but MARGINALLY on defense from last year. I cant understand why so many get so defensive because I point out obvious deficiencies. Our defense MUST improve dramatically for us to win any type of championship. Or maybe we just stop playing for champioships and reset expectations.

I'm happy with steady improvement year over year to build a championship program. Don't have nor do I expect to have DRAMATIC improvement year over year when just a couple years ago we were a dumpster fire. Our defense this past season was every bit as good as we could have expected given the talent level left to us by the predecessor. I can't understand why others don't understand that the dramatic and amazing improvement in the offense year 2 is the outlier, the anomaly, and that happening doesn't mean the defense should have been expected to follow suit in year 2.

Only one stat matters, how many points did you give up? We ranked 44 out of 130 teams. So a little above the mean. I would not call that a "great defense" but not quite the dumpster fire some on here seem to think.

Georgia‘s defense had a well justified claim to maybe being the best D in the country. South Carolina‘s OFFENSE on the other hand……
If we hope to win the SEC, both games need to be won. This year in particular, if we had beaten UGA, then we could have lost to South Carolina and still went to Atlanta.
That was a terrible time to have our worst offensive performance, much like South Carolina was a terrible time to have an awful defensive performance. Two losses. One each for the offense and the defense.

If we hope to win the SEC, both games need to be won. This year in particular, if we had beaten UGA, then we could have lost to South Carolina and still went to Atlanta.
That was a terrible time to have our worst offensive performance, much like South Carolina was a terrible time to have an awful defensive performance. Two losses. One each for the offense and the defense.
There is one big difference. In one loss, we were the underdog and expected to lose. In the other game, we were clear favourites expected to win by 20+ points.

The defensive line is solid. They defend the run well, but that's about all they do.

When they get pressure on the QB, the secondary looks a lot better than they are. LSU game was a good example of this, but they have been extremely inconsistent at getting pressure. If we hope to come away with a win against Clemson, this will be the key to the game IMO. We will also have to run the ball well too.

I agree if we don't keep pressure on the qb, it will be a bad night. Get pressure and I think we win.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
It was a bad defense which allowed way too many 3rd and long conversions all season. The 4th quarter vs Florida and the entire South Carolina game were in the mold of Sal Sunseri's 2012 unit.

I wouldn't expect the DC to trash his players though.

Their defense is freaking loaded across the board

I think he was addressing the fact that someone was disputing the question of passing yards versus the defense and he was clearly pointing out that being forced to pass is not the only reason. Your response has demonstrated they have better players than we do.

8th in the conference in yards per play, 6th in conference games. With what is still essentially a rag-tag bunch. Keep up the recruiting, and we'll start seeing top 3 in that category as well as takeaways and tfls.

Yeah, also, Spencer Rattler playing out of his mind for the first time in three years didn't help. He'd sucked all year up to that point.

They weren't that bad statistically. They gave up some yards but play a lot of snaps

Absolutely. They had their moments where they didn’t play that well, but, when you run the style of offense that we run your defense is on the field A LOT. It’s the new age of college football. Even the mighty Bama was giving up 25+ points per game. With Heupel’s offense if your defense can just stop the other team two or three times you’re in good shape.

They did their job more often than not and with little depth. That’s why I really don’t get all of the Banks hate. The South Carolina game was an exception where they clearly just laid down for whatever reason. That was very reminiscent of 2011 Kentucky and like many of the guys on that 2011 team, I’m sure they regret their pout fest in hindsight.

VN Store

Back