Tidbits on The Coaching Search and Pearl Leaving

and if so, does that leave us with Mooney?

Or, a complete reexamination of the entire process to this point, the (minimum) addition of another $500K/yr to the rate currently being shopped, and starting anew.

Which I actually prefer - that is, if we miss Marshall, and are (essentially) left with Mooney, alone.

I don't have any direct knowledge of anything or anyone involved, but if the interest between Marshall and USC(e) is as mutually strong as it appears, that might be the driving factor in Columbia, in and of itself.

Why? It was his own fault and the university owed him nothing and he is whining about the money he did get.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

because Hambone's an idiot...
Pearl should have gone off on him for the timing of his statements prior to the tourny, having money to fight over was just another reason

Wow. That changes my view entirely. I was feeling sorry for him getting fired at first.

Brent never said anything about a "cussing match". Lawvol implied it, but the article can be read into many different ways.

If the Vols have a chance at Stevens or Frank and are too cheap to invest the money needed to get them, I'm baffled. Why are we willing to put gazillions into facilities and then not pay the right coach? It's lunacy.

If the Vols have a chance at Stevens or Frank and are too cheap to invest the money needed to get them, I'm baffled. Why are we willing to put gazillions into facilities and then not pay the right coach? It's lunacy.

Agree! Was asking this on another thread or maybe even this one earlier. Would be foolish not to realize that 2 mil or more a year is more than worth it considering the $ put into facilities and the need to keep attendance what it has been. It will probably take a while to get fanbase up for a guy like Mooney. Could be wrong

I've heard that this is exactly the case.

Apparently no one on The Hill understands ROI, and believe that its safer to protect the $13M in bball revenue by not paying a premium for a coach - when in fact, they're jeopardizing far more than the $1M that would likely give them their choice of candidates.

Like LWS said in another thread, the examples of Saban's Bama contract and Florida's combined $7M coaching salaries (between CUM and Donovan) - and the windfall which each produced, is absolutely lost on them.

Some say it's "risk averse" or "fiscally conservative" - I say its near-sighted at best and plain stupidity at worst.

Especially when these same people were just feeling so charitable in giving a cheating liar an unnecessary parting gift of $2M - and now who has effectively served to greatly hinder the hiring of his replacement via the money he got (that $2M would come in handy about now, huh?) and the cloud of sanctions which he left over the program.

If you're going to lavish someone, let it be the guy who you're bringing in, and not shoving out. And save all of the "Pearl made this such a better job than before" nonsense, too - because the current list of candidates looks eerily like the last one, if not worse, if you ask me. All of his "hard work" doesn't seem to be helping us right now, does it?

Maybe we'll get lucky with a less-expensive coach - and I hope we do, for sure - but that is too often the exception and not the rule.

My $.02

I don't think Tennessee wanted to give Pearl a parting gift but it probably made more sense to give him something and avoid a possible lawsuit. Not saying who would win or lose that but it's still expensive paying attorney fees and dealing with more bad press.

Since Bruce was working without a contract it was probably more about giving him some back pay than a parting gift.

I said they were planning to go to New York to try and jump line on Tennessee. Given who told me that, I have no doubt that was their plan. No reason to do that if you find out a guy is waiting on other jobs.

Was Tech able to jump us for Marshall?

VN Store

Back