Thursday Practice 4/2

Apparently he's still progressing. Started spring practice on the scout team and now working with the 2nd team offense.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I believe Coleman's suspension had a part to play in this. I am hoping the light comes on for Blair. Coaches have been speaking positive about him.

Plus, all of our OT works in progress will sooner or later be practicing against our speed rushing DEs like Barnett, Maggitt and Weatherd, so that's good for the OTs.

We're going to be fast everywhere. Everywhere.

billz.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I believe Coleman's suspension had a part to play in this. I am hoping the light comes on for Blair. Coaches have been speaking positive about him.

That's true. Dammit. Can't Butch get Danny O'Brien to just smack Blair in the face before every practice or something? That dude needs to get mean.

156 days 'til football time in Tennessee. I'm looking forward to it again this year in a way that I haven't in quite some time.

That's true. Dammit. Can't Butch get Danny O'Brien to just smack Blair in the face before every practice or something? That dude needs to get mean.

wasn't that RAY NITSCHKE and somebody else? that done that before a game ? jaw slappers too :)

Here are my thoughts:

1. I think it's a great thing that we have a lot that are injured and not participating. Yes, it stinks that these guys are missing out on snaps, but they are players that I'm not too worried about. North? He'll be fine. Hurd? Not concerned. Hate that you won't get to see them in the O&W game. BUT....the experience against the first team offense and defense that these guys are getting, guys like Griffin and Gaulden and Tuttle and Bates, is a VERY valuable thing that shouldn't be taken lightly. They're going to get more improvement practicing against the first team then they would the second team. It's going to play dividends for us, and I think that's why CBJ hasn't been hesitant to pull people out of practice if they're even slightly dinged up. We have the depth now, but we're still young. But you grow up with every rep. Imagine what happens in the fall when the hurt guys come back, BUT....thanks to these 20 practices that the second stringers got reps at first string, there's a little bit more heat on.

2. This year feels different. Last year, I seem to remember Butch trying to temper expectations, and there was a lot of things that need to be improved on. You heard a lot of talk about youth and learning the system, and having bad days. This year? If they're trying to temper expectations, they're sucking at it. All I'm seeing here is just praise being heaped on players. Pig, Kamara, Tuttle, Malone, Kendrick, Vickers, etc. The coaches are really seeming to like what is happening, and the media doesn't have much negative things to say either. It seems like we have really improved.

3. The attitude from the players just seems like its' a lot more "business-like." Everything I'm reading, players have tasted success with the bowl game, and they're just wanting more. It's going to lead to great things.

4. Jennings is a project, but, depending on the learning curve, starting at ground zero may be a great thing for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a redshirt this year. Sounds like it's going to take a bit for him to work out his mechanics. My prediction is he redshirts this year, and learns the offense, and then next year (Dobb's senior year), if he hasn't established himself in the race with Jones, Dormady, and hopefully Guarantano by the spring of 2016, then he'll be asked to move to WR, or learn the defense. That would give him four years to develop at a position he is better suited for. No way you cut this guy loose, all you hear about is his athletic ability. I think they're showing confidence in him at QB, and trying to mold him to see if it'll catch on. Time will tell.

5. Weatherd is such a jack of all trades. So hard to know where to put him. He's going to have a nice year this year. I really think he'll be even more effective than he was this year. Remember, he didn't come in until August, just a few weeks before the season actually started. He got a very late start, as most players at least had the summer. You're not going to be able to keep him off the field. Even if he doesn't have a position, and you just send him out there to "hit somebody" he's going to make an impact.

6. I know everyone is excited about our running backs....and I am as well. Kamara and Hurd is a great 1-2 punch, and will be fun to watch. But we all need to start hoping and praying now that John Kelly comes in and is something special right off the bat. We honestly have two great RB's, and then it drops off considerably. Definitely can use Holyfield and Falcon in this recruiting class. Need at least two more solid running backs, even if Kelly is serviceable. Losing Bussey hurt. He was what we needed.

7. Good to see Dormady is grasping the offense well. Seems like a very mentally prepared QB. And it doesn't hurt that he has the physical tools. I know he is a freshman, but I think he will be your number two guy in the fall. I don't think Jones will be able to catch him, no matter how good he is. Dormady has had more experience with the playbook, even going back to high school.

8. The great news about our defense? It's only going to get better. Moseley is out sick. He'll come back, and his speed will be much better. You must assume that a year in the weight room has helped him a lot. That was one knock on him was he was too small, and needed to add weight. He made some good plays last year, I highly expect he will improve. Of course, Kyle Phillips is hurt as well, he's going to be solid. Curt is out, we know what he can do. Bates is getting the rust knocked off, he'll be fine. It sounds like Gavin Bryant is finally starting to click. It excites me a lot (I've been waiting for him to break out) that Gaulden is doing well in the nickel spot. Just wait. Kid is going to be special. McDowell is going to get a lot more playing time. And then, oh yeah, KMac will come in, Picou will come in, Kirkland is going to get healed up, the speedster Justin Martin is coming in, Darrell Taylor, Austin Smith, Quarte Sapp...it's just going to get better. You can see the importance of Early Enrollees. It gives them an INCREDIBLE advantage.

9. I really believe that Josh Malone and Marquez North are going to remind us of Justin Hunter / Da'Rick Rogers. Maybe better. I think Malone is going to have a breakout year. I just hope North can stay healthy. Remember when he came to Tennessee, he had barely played any WR at all. This is year three, and last year he was hampered with injuries. He has got it down now. It's gonna be a big year for him. I'm still waiting on Pearson to be everything we thought he was going to be. This is gonna be the year of the Pig. He's going to have a very memorable season. Hopefully DeBord will be smarter than Jake and get Pig at least 10-15 touches a game. They'll miss him when he's gone.

10. I'm glad to see that Tuttle is progressing well. He's still got a lot of weight he needs to shed. What do you think will happen in 5 months after he's been in Lawson's strength program and has shed some of it? That explosiveness is just gonna get better and better. Just thinking about Barnett, Tuttle, McKenzie, Maggitt on the line is scary. If they live up to their potential in the middle, there isn't a better DL anywhere.

11. I'm so stinking glad there isn't a QB battle this year. I think it makes everything go much better. Everyone knows who the leader is, and it sounds like he's doing a great job at it.

12. This is going to be a good year. I think we saw a LOT of improvement from year 0 to year 1. We're gonna see even more from year 1 to year 2. We're really becoming a culture of winning, and it's going to show on the field very soon. Join us or watch us, recruits.

Reactions: 21 people
I have not heard 1 thing this camp about Colton jumper. Is he hurt? I have heard good things about him and I would say he is flying a bit under the radar.

I have not heard 1 thing this camp about Colton jumper. Is he hurt? I have heard good things about him and I would say he is flying a bit under the radar.

Why do you expect he's going to be a factor? Doesnt surprise me at all.

I'm thinking for the first time in years this team will rely on the run much more than air. :)

Matt Slovin: Brady Hoke was at his second straight Tennessee practice today.

Dustin Dopriak

CBn0C58UkAAKpXU.jpg

Rucker

VQ

How many double tight heavy sets have we seen from this offense the past couple of years? Serious question, wondering if this is something fairly new with Debord. I like it, it will certainly compliment Hurd.

I would not mind seeing Pig get 5/10 touches a game, if I'm also seeing North get 10+ touches a game. A healthy North is a playmaker and I want to see that same development from Malone soon. What safety wants to see a 6'5" Croom with a full head of steam catching the ball on a dead sprint? That run down the sidelines last season showed the world what that young man is capable of, I expect deBord to use ALL our offensive weapons better this year, and that means Pig, like him as much as I do, should NOT be getting 15 touches a game, no friggin' way.

Reactions: 2 people
How many double tight heavy sets have we seen from this offense the past couple of years? Serious question, wondering if this is something fairly new with Debord. I like it, it will certainly compliment Hurd.

I agree that it will help Hurd.

I think it's going to help AK even more with his speed and shiftyness.

Pull a guard in front of them with a strong blocking TE in front too and those plays could go for some long distances or to the checkerboards.

I think buTch has wanted a much stronger running game since day 1 but he didn't have the players and now he's got a few and DeBord is the OC to put a few special plays together to try to make some big runs now and he's tough and demanding just like buTch is and that's a very good thing.

Demand and work towards excellence and that's the kind of execution you'll eventually get.

Good running game will also help Dobbs in huge ways.

This year we're going to see more of the playbook buTch has come out on the field.

We're only just warming up folks so get ready for even more good things to come.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!

Reactions: 2 people
I would not mind seeing Pig get 5/10 touches a game, if I'm also seeing North get 10+ touches a game. A healthy North is a playmaker and I want to see that same development from Malone soon. What safety wants to see a 6'5" Croom with a full head of steam catching the ball on a dead sprint? That run down the sidelines last season showed the world what that young man is capable of, I expect deBord to use ALL our offensive weapons better this year, and that means Pig, like him as much as I do, should NOT be getting 15 touches a game, no friggin' way.

Uh, if he's open 15 times a game, and he can make a play 15 times a game, then I am 100% fine with him getting 15 touches a game. I just want to see him utilized more than he was last year.

Coleman Thomas is a center, OOP last year at tackle. Not a factor.

Coleman Thomas is a center, OOP last year at tackle. Not a factor.

They actually planned to play him at tackle because of his size and athleticism. I believe they are still trying to figure out where his future is, so he was working at center, but could still be a tackle primarily.

VN Store

Back