Thoughts on Kentucky

The '10-'11 team had Miller, Liggins, and Harrelson. Those 3 guys were instrumental to that teams success. This team has Mays and Polson as upperclassmen. Mays and Harrow are going to have to be elite for this year's team to be very good.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah it is a stretch that some people are comparing UK's role players this year to guys from past years that were drafted in the NBA. In the past Calipari had NBA talent on his bench. I don't see that kind of talent this year.

I still think, baring injury, they lose less than 10 games this season though. Calipari might have to ride his starters into the ground to do that but if that's what it takes, that's what he'll do.

The '10-'11 team had Miller, Liggins, and Harrelson. Those 3 guys were instrumental to that teams success. This team has Mays and Polson as upperclassmen. Mays and Harrow are going to have to be elite for this year's team to be very good.

This team has more overall talent then the 2010-11 team but lacks the experience. We only had 2 5 star recruits with our 3rd being ruled ineligable(best recruit). This year has 4 5 stars recruits. If this team gels like that team and mays and harrow rise up to the occasion they're a final four team.

A lot of ppl would disagree but i believe a lot of the reason we got to the final four in 2011 was coaching. Look at the road we took and the team we had. Beat both Ohio St. and UNC. Two teams who were considered superior to us

Ok...just looked at UK's nonconference schedule and it's really weak outside of four games. They'll lose 3 of those and likely 5 to 6 SEC games. So 8 to 9 losses.

What makes you think we'll lose 3 of 4 of those games? We'll be favored in both the Baylor and Notre Dame games. With Duke's best big injured that gives us a legit shot. Im not saying i want to win that way but thats just how it is. The Duke game will come down to who rebounds best. They have one rebounder now. If Noel, Cauley, and Poythress rebound the way they should we've got it.

UK will definitely be down this year, moreso than any of Cal's other years at UK.

Could be a double-digit loss season, as this is easily his least mature roster to date. They'll struggle early but put together a nice run in March. Sweet 16 team, by all accounts.

I don't think they are as talented as the first Cal team or last year so I am not disagreeing there

but they aren't going to be playing those teams - they are playing the current NCAA field this year and compared to that they are still very, very talented

Cal still took the down team you mention (and you are correct that they are a down team comparatively) to the final four so ruling out a great year, an SEC championship and a deep NCAA run i think is very premature

when Harrow comes back this team will start to gel and they will be more talented than every team they play the rest of the year (harrow is not playing tonight so not counting tonight)
Hope they don't gel until after my Bears play them at Rupp in three weeks.

What makes you think we'll lose 3 of 4 of those games? We'll be favored in both the Baylor and Notre Dame games. With Duke's best big injured that gives us a legit shot. Im not saying i want to win that way but thats just how it is. The Duke game will come down to who rebounds best. They have one rebounder now. If Noel, Cauley, and Poythress rebound the way they should we've got it.

What Duke big is injured for tonight's game?

What Duke big is injured for tonight's game?

Marshall Plumlee. The younger brother who is supposedly better than his older brother, Mason. This is what a Duke fan i know claims. Whether thats true or not i don't know. But that certainly hurts their front court depth. Stress facture in his foot. 6-8 weeks

I getcha there arent a lot of upperclassmen but Harrow is really an upperclassmen if you count the xfer year and he is more talented than any of the 3 you mention

coming into 10-11 they had zero depths with their bigs, started 3 fresh and the 1 senior had never played any meaningful minutes (Harrelson averaged 1.3 pts yr before)

I think it is a reasonable comparison - that team gel'd late and looked really good in SEC and NCAA tourney - i think we will see the same thing this year

i am hoping for a different outcome as it would give me a lot of firepower with all my KY buddies - but certainly not expecting it

Marshall Plumlee. The younger brother who is supposedly better than his older brother, Mason. This is what a Duke fan i know claims. Whether thats true or not i don't know. But that certainly hurts their front court depth. Stress facture in his foot. 6-8 weeks

Didn't mason go for 19 points 10+boards last week? No slouch

Marshall has never played a minute at Duke. Mason is the best of the 3 and will be starting tonight.

Hopefully the refs have some ear plugs for this dook-kentucky game. Otherwise their ears will be bleeding after the game from all the crying from these two coaches.

I think you are judging far too much off of one game - and one game w/o the PG you are saying they lack

when Ryan Harrow comes back from the flu this team will have all the pieces they need to be elite

word from many close to UK bball is that Harrow consistently drubbed Teague last year in practice so what you are saying is a weakness could well be the team's strength once he gets over the flu

Well said.

Plumlee is abusing Noel, duke bigs are really outplaying KY bigs..

KY really has some serious issues scoring the ball it looks like in the half court.

Kentucky needs to do exactly what they're doing by feeding the post...much better use of their size.

VN Store

Back