This Saturday

Back in 1989 when I used to work with the Vol network. I went to my first game and called my Dad (We are from the Northeast and never had experienced an amazing spectacle as a game at Neyland Stadium). I called my Dad as I was watching the band come in for the first time on one of those old brick cell phones where calls were 10 bucks a pop and said that there were more people watching the band come in than were at Brown v. Harvard game and that he had to come down and see this and go to a game. Well his first was a few weeks later after my son was born to see his first grandson. I got tickets for the Tenn Auburn game which was epic in the rain. He was hooked. And for the rest of his life he was a fan with me my son and our whole family. Going to many games together..Including the 2 SEC Championship Games.1992 Florida game in the rain..The Miracle at South Bend amongst other games. It was never really the game..It was the time we spent together traveling..on Game day and following our Vols. I miss him every day since he passed in 2006. He was my best friend and mentor. I will be thinking of him as we travel up from Florida for the game and as I walk into Neyland. I am so sorry for your loss and also believe exactly what Captain Awesome said above about the Lord Jesus conquering death and the fact that my Dad is now part of the great cloud of witnesses rooting us on to complete our life race.

Reactions: 1 person
Got a bit choked up reading the op. Godspeed to your pop. Sounds like he was undoubtedly a man of honor and integrity, and I'm not talking about football.

Oh my God, the feels. You brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless you and go vols, just remember you're never alone when you're a Vols fan.

I am deeply moved by your post OP. Prayers from my family go out to yours. The best thing about being a vols fan is that it is like having one big family. God bless your father and God bless the Vols.

From an early age I realized that I would not always be able to hang with my Dad so tried to be around him as much as possible. This went on from childhood to the time he passed away in my thirties. As most of you will attest, there is never enough time. I still miss my Dad.

But I have concluded that having that person for my Dad was a gift and having all the time with him was a gift and the best thing you can possibly do is pay it forward. If you have kids, make sure you invest the time with them so maybe they have the same type of memories as you have of your father and are maybe moved to one day express things as eloquently as OP.

My dad will be coming in for the game this weekend and I will give him a big hug. Ever since I've been 4 years old, I've been going to games with my pop, so this hits close to home. What a wonderful dad and wonderful memories you have. He will always be a part of you and a part of this Vol family. Thanks for sharing. God Bless your dad and here's to him having the best seat in the house to watch us end this streak!

GO VOLS!

Prayers for you and your family. I am blessed to still have my dad. He's a huge ky fan, but we talk football every week and I love every minute of it. I am the same age as you, and not ashamed to say my dad is my hero.

I was born the son of Jerry McKinley Ladd of Kingston Tennessee in 1975. I have watched or listened to UT games with my dad since I could walk. My real first memories are of the 1982 UT vs Bama game. I remember jumping for joy listening to John Ward announce that the Volunteers had beaten the Crimson tide. Pure unbridled joy. My dad disliked Alabama with a pure passion. A passon that would be passed to me with the streak from 86-94. Little did we know we'd have to move to Birmingham in 1985 after Tennessee Forging steel in Harriman closed its doors. My dad being a 3rd generation steel worker by trade, and me the 4th.

Dad and I shared many Tennessee Saturday's over the next few decades, through all the ups and down of family life and work life, the one constant was Tennessee football.

From Cockrell to Manning to Worley we never missed a Saturday, even if we could only talk on the phone before the game, then at halftime, and after the game.

My dad used to tell me that it didn't take a lot to be a Florida gator or a Georgia bulldog, or the Crimson tide. But, men gave their lives being Tennessee Volunteers. That our name meant something, unlike others who used mascot names or such.

My dad died this past Monday after a sever bout with leukemia. I miss my dad terribly and it will get worse this Saturday. The sinking feeling only gets deeper as Saturday gets closer. I do know that he will be watching this Saturday from the best seat available. Here's hoping we can finally break the gator streak.

I've seen others here post about their fathers and the shared love of UT football. I would always call my dad after reading those heart wrenching posts, now I'm posting my own, about my dad. Guys and gals, call your dad and tell them you love them. Time is our greatest enemy.

Go Vols from me and my dad. :clapping:

May God be with you, TTT, during this time of great loss. I had the same relation with my Dad who started taking me to Neyland stadium in 1956 to watch Johnny Majors & Co. I was 11 years old. Growing up in Maryville, Dad and I attended many, many games, both home and away. Your beautiful, heartfelt words reminded me how much I cherish those memories since he passed in '85. I miss him every day. As the tears flow while I type these words, I'm sorry for your great loss, but, is it not wonderful that you and I have these fabulous memories forever till we can share them with our beloved Fathers when we greet them again. Our Dads were some of the original "Vols for Life". I will think of you and your Father this Saturday, for sure. Best of luck, my friend, and, again, thanks.... GO VOLS!!!

VN Store

Back