This just absolutely blows my mind as a UT fan..

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
Our team was predicted Preseason #9 in the country and heavy favorites to win the SEC East. You mean to tell me that Butch Jones whom I used to have full support for, took a very talented Top 10 UT team and turned them into an 8-4 crappy bowl eligible team? I know we've had injuries out the yang yang and was expected to lose to Bama and maybe A&M but no excuse to lose to South Carolina or Vandy with the talent on our team. I really like Butch as a person and wanted him to succeed more than any other coach we've had. After the Vandy loss, I can't trust him anymore with any SEC game on the line.

Has there ever been a coach in Tennessee history to take a team that had major expectations from the entire country and turned them into a complete undisciplined joke of a team who couldn't even win the East while they're down???

Reactions: 5 people
2005 was worse than this year IMO. If we beat Vandy, we're all still mainly disappointed, but a Sugar bowl invite would've been a nice fallback for a team with as many injuries as they sustained. We somehow still finished 2nd in the East this year even though the division is one big mediocre mess.

Maybe the loss to Vandy will cause Butch to shake up the staff more than he would've if we had won and the Sugar Bowl invite had glossed over some warts. Time will tell.

Reactions: 2 people
UF goes into LSU with injuries and the East on the line and delivers.

UT goes into SCAR with the east on the line and fails.

UT gets a chance to salvage the season by beating VANDY and getting the Sugar Bowl.. fails again.

Butch is in over his head. Not hard to see.

Reactions: 29 people
Our team was predicted Preseason #9 in the country and heavy favorites to win the SEC East. You mean to tell me that Butch Jones whom I used to have full support for, took a very talented Top 10 UT team and turned them into an 8-4 crappy bowl eligible team? I know we've had injuries out the yang yang and was expected to lose to Bama and maybe A&M but no excuse to lose to South Carolina or Vandy with the talent on our team. I really like Butch as a person and wanted him to succeed more than any other coach we've had. After the Vandy loss, I can't trust him anymore with any SEC game on the line.

Has there ever been a coach in Tennessee history to take a team that had major expectations from the entire country and turned them into a complete undisciplined joke of a team who couldn't even win the East while they're down???

What's even sadder than that is people on the board tells us that we should be "happy" where we are....since Butch was the only one to take this God Forsaken job

Reactions: 5 people
Is there anything new in this thread?

Cdeu5OKVIAEdkyd.jpg

LSU was ranked 5th in the Pre Season. Stanford was 8, Notre Dame was ranked 10th, just behind us. Ole Miss 11th. TCU was ranked 13th...

But I guess Jones and Tennessee are the only team in the country who didn't meet expectations.

Reactions: 30 people

Calm down Princess. That's an awful lotta drama considering this.

We would have ended the season about #9 had we not lost Vandy. So, basically this team is 1 loss more than expected at this point. And that with probably the worst in-season player injury / attrition issues in the 120 history of UT football.

Bottom line is, it's nowhere near as dramatic as your making it. Unless of course you drank the PreSeason 11-1/12-0/Natty KoolAid and got disappointed. Then it's dire!

Reactions: 11 people
Calm down Princess. That's an awful lotta drama considering this.

We would have ended the season about #9 had we not lost Vandy. So, basically this team is 1 loss more than expected at this point. And that with probably the worst in-season player injury / attrition issues in the 120 history of UT football.

Bottom line is, it's nowhere near as dramatic as your making it. Unless of course you drank the PreSeason 11-1/12-0/Natty KoolAid and got disappointed. Then it's dire!

For me the win/lose record isnt the main issue. Its that the team that has been fielded is a poorly coached team. There is just no way around it. The defense was so bad it actaully takes effort to be that.bad.
I would love to get opinions if I am off base in that thinking and what indication others have seen that I have missed as to why it might improve?

Reactions: 1 person
Ah, forgot that one. Looks like Butch had to repeat similar history.

No it's not you forgetting. It's you spouting out trash and not knowing any of the facts. Maybe check the stats before you post garbage. Ah but that would be positive thinking not negative.

Reactions: 1 person
LSU was ranked 5th in the Pre Season. Stanford was 8, Notre Dame was ranked 10th, just behind us. Ole Miss 11th. TCU was ranked 13th...

But I guess Jones and Tennessee are the only team in the country who didn't meet expectations.

So? Does that make it any more acceptable to lose to South Carolina after a bye and to Vandy by double digits with a Sugar Bowl on the line?

Reactions: 3 people
This happens every year to a certain team....I would think historically more then one team has this issue.....you got 17-22 yr olds hearing they great etc it's bound to happen to a few teams.....

But I mean that's just being rational, you gotta take a step back, it sucks it was us....but a preseason ranking is just that....hence why they play the games and don't give paper championships....

Reactions: 3 people
This happens every year to a certain team....I would think historically more then one team has this issue.....you got 17-22 yr olds hearing they great etc it's bound to happen to a few teams.....

But I mean that's just being rational, you gotta take a step back, it sucks it was us....but a preseason ranking is just that....hence why they play the games and don't give paper championships....

Here here.

Reactions: 2 people
$ 16 million later and we lose to South Carolina& Vandy go to low tier bowl. Time for a change. What a waste.......14 starters back with good depth spells poor coaching......

Reactions: 4 people
2005 was worse than this year IMO. If we beat Vandy, we're all still mainly disappointed, but a Sugar bowl invite would've been a nice fallback for a team with as many injuries as they sustained. We somehow still finished 2nd in the East this year even though the division is one big mediocre mess.

Maybe the loss to Vandy will cause Butch to shake up the staff more than he would've if we had won and the Sugar Bowl invite had glossed over some warts. Time will tell.

Butch will have to move way out of his comfort zone in order to get this thing to a championship level... fire some of "his guys", hire replacements of high caliber who are not just yes men, and then give them the freedom to coach and coordinate using their own methods and techniques.

Is Butch capable of releasing control just enough to give his subordinates some creative control and control of their own destinies? We will see. If not he will and should be gone, sooner rather than later.

I think one of my top choices as a replacement for jones would be Mark Dantonio. Thoughts?

Get used to it. I've been a vol fan since the early 70's and it hasn't been a fun ride except for a few years in the 90's.

VN Store

Back