This is why VA Tech is so good

I went to a VT game on a Thursday night game 3 years ago when they played Maryland. When the team first came onto the field, it was electric. I remember thinking then that the fan base seemed alot more involved than when I am at UT games. I was with a friend who likes VT and I went just to see a game with the guys. They ended up winning by forty some points and the fans never seemed to slow down.

I really think alot of our problem is that we are an aging fan base. Many of our fans may have really started liking UT when they had a very successful run through the 90's. Plus, we are a product of our own success. We don't get too excited any more unless we are predicted to win the East and play for the SEC Championship or better.

I know this will probably get me crucified on here, but here goes. VT runs on the field to a Metallica song, Enter Sandman....a song that the younger generation can relate to and it pumps them up. What do we run onto the field to?....Good ol' Rocky Top??? Are you kidding me? I know it refers to Tennessee, but how many kids does that fire up? Especially a high school football recruit from Florida/Georgia/California/Texas etc. I know Rocky Top may fire up the 50-80 year olds in the crowd, but how much noise will they make anyway. We need a youth movement in our PR department and UT needs to make some small changes to engage the younger generation. I know this would pizz off alot of the older fans who contribute alot of money, but if it engages the fan base, it would generate more money in the end.

Last edited:
I went to a VT game on a Thursday night game 3 years ago when they played Maryland. When the team first came onto the field, it was electric. I remember thinking then that the fan base seemed alot more involved than when I am at UT games. I was with a friend who likes VT and I went just to see a game with the guys. They ended up winning by forty some points and the fans never seemed to slow down.

I really think alot of our problem is that we are an aging fan base. Many of our fans may have really started liking UT when they had a very successful run through the 90's. Plus, we are a product of our own success. We don't get too excited any more unless we are predicted to win the East and play for the SEC Championship or better.

I know this will probably get me crucified on here, but here goes. VT runs on the field to a Metallica song, Enter Sandman....a song that the younger generation can relate to and it pumps them up. What do we run onto the field to?....Good ol' Rocky Top??? Are you kidding me? I know it refers to Tennessee, but how many kids does that fire up? Especially a high school football recruit from Florida/Georgia/California/Texas etc. I know Rocky Top may fire up the 50-80 year olds in the crowd, but how much noise will they make anyway. We need a youth movement in our PR department and UT needs to make some small changes to engage the younger generation. I know this would pizz off alot of the older fans who contribute alot of money, but if it engages the fan base, it would generate more money in the end.

spoken like a true inhabitant of colonial heights.

I grew up going to Tech games and then went to school at UT. I have seen roughly 25 games at each stadium.

I have sat in the student section of each and the regular fan section of each.

Our student section is comparable to their regular fan section in terms of intensity, noise, obnoxiousness, and BAC. Our regular fan section does not compare to anything you see in that stadium. At 60,000+ fans it is louder than Neyland for just about every game. That place is wild no matter who the Hokies play. There have only been a few games that I have been in Neyland where the 100,000+ really came to life like the fans in Blacksburg do... '04 Florida sticks out the most.

Its not a slight on us, its just the way it is.

VN Store

Back