The WINE (alcohol) thread

No Cost CO near me and we have a no liquor law in grocery stores such as Trader Joes in TN--as of now.

This law is changing though I heard.

The zinfandel above...describe its taste so I know of it's something I may like.

Thanks.

I'm not good at describing wine taste but here goes:

Zins are generally young and relatively high alcohol so you do get some alcohol burn.

They are also considered "fruit-forward" so you get some of the fruit (more than just grape taste).

Finally, the ones I drink most are lush, full, smooth. They taste full rather than thin and are not spicy, peppery or dry. (they aren't sweet though)

I find them to be very easy to drink. I'm not usually looking for a lot of complexity that I have to discern. I just look for something that tastes good and is smooth to drink.

Reactions: 1 person
you ever tried, Prisoner

It's a blend, and really good, of Cab, Zin and Sirah

Prisoner is a solid wine, though Orin Swift sold it off recently. Not sure if the same winemaker is involved, so hopefully the quality remains.

I'm a big fan of Napa Valley and Sonoma wines. Mainly cabs, zins and blends from NV and pinots from Sonoma. Some favorites are:

Bordeaux varietals:
Hall
Venge
Chappellet
O'Shaughnessy

Pinot Noir:
Goldeneye
Walt

You can find a couple of Hall wines at Costco, and I highly recommend trying if you find them. Their Napa Valley cab is solid and their Kathryn Hall is harder to find but typically a very nice wine.

Weird timing for me to first see this thread.
I JUST got off a website called nakedwine.com that I recommend for you all. It's a wine club, from what I can tell, but for a first time visit you can get a crap load for very cheap. I just got six bottles of wine for a total of $26 including shipping. I don't know a whole lot about wine, but apparently these are all very nice wines. I usually just go for some Blackstone Cab Sav.
After paying for my order, I was asked to join the club and I said no. I still got an order confirmation and all so I think it's legit.
You might want to check it out.

I drink red wine every single day. I reach for a Malbec, with alternatives being a Pinot Noir, a Chianti, Shiraz (Syrah), a Zin (red, as it should be), or a Cab/Merlot. Also like the Italian reds, Valpolicella and Bardolino.

My go-to table wine Malbec brand is Frontera (Concha y Toro) from Argentina and I can get a 1.5 L for about 10 bucks, sometimes less. If you should want affordable French, La Vielle Ferme aint bad at all.

If I want to move up, I like the California brand, Chateau St. Jean -- everything they put out is well done, their "Reserve" grade is even better, and better still, their spin-off line, Cinq Cepages.

Lastly, for a white, I like the Greek RETSINA. It has a taste of pine resin about it, so it's not for everybody, but I love it.

My understanding is that the hearty Malbec and Pinot Noir are highest in the phenols and bioflavenoids that make red wine so heart-healthy.

Last edited:
My wife is a chardonnay fan. The Kimmel Four Blocks is a great modestly-priced chard from Mendocino. We also enjoyed a bottle of Copain, but it's a little more toward the $25 range. For an inexpensive, smooth chard, try Butternut or Creme de Lys.

Kiddiedoc, what do you all think of Pinot Grigio? That drier white is what my wife prefers and I can drink it too.

Kiddiedoc, what do you all think of Pinot Grigio? That drier white is what my wife prefers and I can drink it too.

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan. They are usually fairly light and I enjoy a "bigger," more complex taste (Chardonnay/Chablis for whites, Cab/Bordeaux or red blend/good Zin for reds). That being said, I've had a couple of PGs that are perfect for a warm, summer day.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Red All the way!!! I drink Bordeaux, malbec, & merlot. Really whatever the wife buys. I'm not afraid of the Bota Box either...

My wife is a chardonnay fan. The Kimmel Four Blocks is a great modestly-priced chard from Mendocino. We also enjoyed a bottle of Copain, but it's a little more toward the $25 range. For an inexpensive, smooth chard, try Butternut or Creme de Lys.

We had the Creme de Lys at lunch time today. It was about as good a white as I have ever had. :good!: :hi:

Anybody like Muscadine?

I had a bottle of Stonehaus...not bad.

Kinda like Moscato but with a little my grape taste too it, I think.

I drink red wine every single day. I reach for a Malbec, with alternatives being a Pinot Noir, a Chianti, Shiraz (Syrah), a Zin (red, as it should be), or a Cab/Merlot. Also like the Italian reds, Valpolicella and Bardolino.

My go-to table wine Malbec brand is Frontera (Concha y Toro) from Argentina and I can get a 1.5 L for about 10 bucks, sometimes less. If you should want affordable French, La Vielle Ferme aint bad at all.

If I want to move up, I like the California brand, Chateau St. Jean -- everything they put out is well done, their "Reserve" grade is even better, and better still, their spin-off line, Cinq Cepages.

Lastly, for a white, I like the Greek RETSINA. It has a taste of pine resin about it, so it's not for everybody, but I love it.

My understanding is that the hearty Malbec and Pinot Noir are highest in the phenols and bioflavenoids that make red wine so heart-healthy.

Bumping time is here.

For minor BP/vascular issues my wife has been recently directed toward the Reds by her doc as a more natural way. So we have begun the experiment with a lot of good recommendations from VN friends.

So far I agree with your comments on Chateau St. Jean. We have thoroughly enjoyed the Pinor Noir. We are now going with the surprising winner of many blind taste tests - 2010 Turning Leaf Pinot Noir. That also is a really, really good red at a great price ($8).

Did 7 Deadly Zins - which requires good taste buds to really appreciate. Did not care much for the less expensive table win type Cabs and Merlots like Woodbridge and Yellowtail. Will update periodically to check on any new posts in here.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back