KB's belated analysis of the draw:

Nadal Quadrant:
Nadal/Thiem v. Mayer/Gabashvilli
v.
Zopp/Lajovic v. Sock/(Johnson/Lokoli)

Ferrer/Bolelli v. Seppi/Monaco
v.
Karlovic/Haider v. Michon/Anderson

Does anybody here scare Nadal? I know Ferrer beat him in Monte Carlo, but I don't see him doing that again, especially in a five set match. Nadal will get a hint of a test against Dominic Thiem, and and then I don't see him being pushed again until the quarter when he'll likely play Ferrer, and I see him beating Ferrer comfortably.

Prediction: Nadal beats Ferrer

Murray Quadrant (formerly Stan The Man Quadrant):
Garcia/Mannarino v. Lopez/Young
v.
Monfils/Struff v. Belluci/Fognini

v.

Gasquet/Berlocq v. Verdasco/Cuevas
v.
Kohlschreiber/Istomin v. Matosevic/Murray

I have no idea who comes out of this section. This is imho the strongest section. I think Fognini is most likely to come out of the top 8, and the bottom 8 is anybody's guess. Probably Murray is the favorite, but you never know with him. Kohlschreiber could take him out, and Verdasco could take him out if he advances.

I don't see anybody on here beating Nadal in the semis.

Prediction: Murray beats Fognini

The Federer Quadrant:
Berdy/Nedovy v. Paire/Bautista
v.
Robredo/Schepper v. Isner/Kukushkin

v.

Youzhny/Stepanek v. Bagnis/Gulbis
v.
Tursunov/Querrey v. Schwartzmann/Federer

Federer will get more of a test than he wants from Schwartzmann, who is a solid young dirtballer. The winner of that four will be the winner of the Federer/Schwartzmann match and will almost certainly play Gulbis. That could be a tough matchup for Fed as well. In the top half, I'd say it's almost a toss-up between Berdy and Bautista.

I think you have to consider Federer the favorite to come out of here. Or maybe it's Gulbis. He's been hot lately. I doubt Djokovic likes that as Fed has always given him more trouble than anybody. And Gulbis is sneaky as well.

Prediction:
Fed beats Berdy

The Novak Quadrant:
Raonic/Vesely v. Gonzales/Simon
v.
Dolgo/Granollers v. Haase/Klizan

v.

Tsonga/Melzer v. Niem/Janowicz
v.
Cilic/Tamke v. Djokovic/Chardy

I think Cilic gives Djoker somewhat of a test, and maybe takes a set off him, but then Djoker prevails, and then prevails over Jo Willy in four sets as well. The only one in that top 8 that can challenge Djoker is Dolgo, and I'm not sure he'll come out of there. Could easily be Raonic, who played Djoker tight in Rome but won't do it again.

Prediction:
Novak beats Raonic

Semifinal prediction:
Nadal beats Murray in 3
Novak beats Fed in 5

Final preidction:
Novak beats Nadal in 5

I know, Novak v. Nadal: I lack imagination. But whaddaya gonna do?

Johnson prevails; Venus loses; Serena down a set and a break in second set. Crazy first few days in Paris.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Make that Serena down a double-break, 1-4, in second set. Wow.

Gone in straights. Don't think anyone saw that one coming. I thought they should just go ahead and hand Serena the title prior to that match.

Is Halep still in it on the women's side? If so, she's my pick now. Seems she in opposite half to Sugarpova? If so, that's my finals matchup from this point forward.

Here's hoping Berdych and his awful shirt go down in flames today. His personality makes it so hard to cheer for him.

This little chick that tore up Serena today might be the pick. Chickie can play when she sets her mind to it.

Simon is playing well. He played Rafa well on clay a few weeks back. If I recall, he's in Djoker's quarter.

I'm not convinced the upsets are over just yet. But what a day. Even Sugarpova struggled before righting the ship.

I feel absolutely terrible for Wozniaki. I haven't followed her relationship with Rory McIlroy at all. But apparently they sent out wedding invitations last week and a day later he calls her to say it was over. That explains her first round loss this week. Seems like RM could've waited until her slam was over to break it off. She says it was a complete shock.

Did anyone see Djokovic and the ballboy during the rain delay the other day? Awesome. Djoker is a pretty cool cat.

I think Halep, Ivanovic and Stosur have a chance on the women's side. Also Sharapova, who thankfully didn't injure herself doing cartwheels after the Serena loss. I was thinking Muguruza stands a chance, but for some reason players that take Serena down tend to lose in the next round.

Men's side, gotta like Djokovich. Perhaps Nadal can elude Old Man Time one more year, but I doubt it. Is it worth noting that Raonic hasn't dropped a set yet? Probably not.

Last edited:
Is Halep still in it on the women's side? If so, she's my pick now. Seems she in opposite half to Sugarpova? If so, that's my finals matchup from this point forward.

Here's hoping Berdych and his awful shirt go down in flames today. His personality makes it so hard to cheer for him.

She is, but she's not my pick. I'm going with my girl Ag Rad. I love her game -- she's so crafty.

I think Halep, Ivanovic and Stosur have a chance on the women's side. Also Sharapova, who thankfully didn't injure herself doing cartwheels after the Serena loss. I was thinking Muguruza stands a chance, but for some reason players that take Serena down tend to lose in the next round.

Ummmm.....Ag Rad.

On the women's side, I think the following players can win it:

Halep
Cibulkova
Ag Rad
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Navarro (maybe)

I'm not bullish on Stosur. And, as you alluded to, I think Muguruza has a better chance of losing in the next round than winning the tourney.

I hear he's pretty funny. I've heard he's a great twitter follow.

(1)
Simon is playing well. He played Rafa well on clay a few weeks back. If I recall, he's in Djoker's quarter.

(2)
I'm not convinced the upsets are over just yet. But what a day. Even Sugarpova struggled before righting the ship.

(3)
I feel absolutely terrible for Wozniaki. I haven't followed her relationship with Rory McIlroy at all. But apparently they sent out wedding invitations last week and a day later he calls her to say it was over. That explains her first round loss this week. Seems like RM could've waited until her slam was over to break it off. She says it was a complete shock.

(4)
Did anyone see Djokovic and the ballboy during the rain delay the other day? Awesome. Djoker is a pretty cool cat.

(1)
Simon's a good player, but he just lacks firepower. To take out the top top guys, it isn't enough to be steady. You gotta be able to hurt them. Simon doesn't really have any true weapons.

(2)
I'm glad I didn't bet on Serena. She was 50-1.

(3)
It's a bummer. She seems like a really nice person. But I also don't want to paint Rory as the bad guy....whether he did it via telephone or not. He seemed genuinely torn up about it himself in his most recent press conference. Breakups are hard, but it's better that than an unhappy marriage.

(4)
I completely agree. Not only do I like Djokovic, but I've even come around on Federer. I don't know who to dislike anymore. I guess I could go with Milos Raonic as I've always hated servebot tennis, but Milos isn't quite good enough to hate. But if he ever wins a grand slam, he's my guy.

Can't believe I left off Aggie from my list. Or Sloane. Either could take it. Not much on the men's side happened today. Interesting to see Donald Young starting to play strong. Could be interesting to see if he can win two more rounds. Three won't happen..

I've read about Thiem and he's bright future in tennis, but hadn't really watched him play until today v. Nadal.

First, he is really young. Second, his body hasn't developed athletically enough to hang with the likes of Nadal on clay no matter how strong his game may be. But he may be one to watch in the future. Pulverizes the ball.

I need to see this Townsend girl play. She big. But she plays big too. She's an attacker and that is awesome.

Looking forward to the upcoming matchups on the men's side. It's going to get good here soon.

What female player should volnation put the curse on next?

Didn't get to watch much of either match today, but Federer is through in 4 v. Tursunov; Djokovic is up 4-1 v. Cilic in the 4th with a two set lead.

Federer v. Gulbis in next round. Depends on which Gulbis decides to show up as to whether its a match or not. Things are starting to get interesting finally on the men's side.

If you missed it, check out this picture of Monfils. It's not a photoshop. Dude is not of this world.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2014-05-29-at-2-09-58-pm.jpg
    screen-shot-2014-05-29-at-2-09-58-pm.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1 person
I've read about Thiem and he's bright future in tennis, but hadn't really watched him play until today v. Nadal.

First, he is really young. Second, his body hasn't developed athletically enough to hang with the likes of Nadal on clay no matter how strong his game may be. But he may be one to watch in the future. Pulverizes the ball.

I need to see this Townsend girl play. She big. But she plays big too. She's an attacker and that is awesome.

Looking forward to the upcoming matchups on the men's side. It's going to get good here soon.

I was impressed w/ Thiem. Gonna be a baller when he fills out.

Didn't get to watch much of either match today, but Federer is through in 4 v. Tursunov; Djokovic is up 4-1 v. Cilic in the 4th with a two set lead.

Federer v. Gulbis in next round. Depends on which Gulbis decides to show up as to whether its a match or not. Things are starting to get interesting finally on the men's side.

If you missed it, check out this picture of Monfils. It's not a photoshop. Dude is not of this world.

Let's try Maria. I'd rather see someone else come through.

I feel bad about jinxing Ag Rad

I wouldn't be surprised if Gulby wins.
Jack Sock has a winnable match
I don't like Young's chances against GGL.

And Taylor Townsend is def a big girl, but she's freaking good at tennis. i bet against with Navarro and won, but Townsend still impressed from what I saw.

VN Store

Back