The (Unofficial) 2013 Aussie Open Thread

I was surprised by how little I actually cared about the men's final even after getting up at 3:30 am to watch it.

I respect both Djokovic and Murray, but, honestly, lost interest quickly. I think it is more about the lack of Federer and/or Nadal in the final. We've all been spoiled by what they've brought to the game since 2004-2005.

I am one that believes this is the true golden age of tennis because of Federer and Nadal (and more recently Djokovic). Without those guys around, its just not the same. Federer is almost done* and Nadal seems like he could go either way these days. But I'm realistic that Federer's days of winning slams is just about up. With a favorable draw and upset or two, he can steal another one, but it's just too much to ask a 31 year old to survive two weeks with Djoker, Murray, Nadal, and DelPo waiting in the wings.

*Now that I've had time to reflect on Federer's performance, I think he should be happy about this tournament. He played well, but faded in the 5th against Murray. He also left Murray worse for wear heading into the final.

** Djokovic now has 6 grand slam titles. I find it astounding that he now has one less than McEnroe, Connors has 8, Agassi has 8, Lendl has 8, Becker has 6, Edberg has 6. Djokovic could realistically bypass everyone on that list this year.

***I think the obvious biggest story in tennis right now is Nadal. Does he come back to dominate the clay season and win yet another French Open? Or is this Murray or Djokovic's year? I'm not a Nadal fan, but I like it better when he is in the game.

I was surprised by how little I actually cared about the men's final even after getting up at 3:30 am to watch it.

I respect both Djokovic and Murray, but, honestly, lost interest quickly. I think it is more about the lack of Federer and/or Nadal in the final. We've all been spoiled by what they've brought to the game since 2004-2005.

I am one that believes this is the true golden age of tennis because of Federer and Nadal (and more recently Djokovic). Without those guys around, its just not the same. Federer is almost done* and Nadal seems like he could go either way these days. But I'm realistic that Federer's days of winning slams is just about up. With a favorable draw and upset or two, he can steal another one, but it's just too much to ask a 31 year old to survive two weeks with Djoker, Murray, Nadal, and DelPo waiting in the wings.

*Now that I've had time to reflect on Federer's performance, I think he should be happy about this tournament. He played well, but faded in the 5th against Murray. He also left Murray worse for wear heading into the final.

** Djokovic now has 6 grand slam titles. I find it astounding that he now has one less than McEnroe, Connors has 8, Agassi has 8, Lendl has 8, Becker has 6, Edberg has 6. Djokovic could realistically bypass everyone on that list this year.

***I think the obvious biggest story in tennis right now is Nadal. Does he come back to dominate the clay season and win yet another French Open? Or is this Murray or Djokovic's year? I'm not a Nadal fan, but I like it better when he is in the game.

I think the general consensus is that the game needs Rafa. Tennis just isn't the same without him.

He'll be dirtballing for the next few months. I feel like this should give him enough time to round his game back into form. I hope so. It just wouldn't seem right if Nadal didn't win the French.

VN Store

Back