The Tuesday night "Fire Currie" Thread [merged]

I’m mad at the way the admin handled the first part of this search but you can’t blame them for Gundy turning us down. Sounds like they put on the full court press. Would have been nice to see this effort prior to Sunday though.

Agree. There's a point where we have to put at least some trust in these guys to do right.

The Schiano thing was a fiasco but in the end I can understand professionally why they went after him. There are a lot of professionals involved in swaying people. No doubt he got a lot of push behind the scenes.

As one lone Vol fan I'm glad Schiano didn't get the job but I'm over the whole protest thing at every turn.

Let's let them do their job and make their decision and life goes on. If they make a bad hire - we'll suck for 4 or 5 more years and they'll do it all over again. Only one team gambled and landed a Nick Saban in the last decade.

It is nightmarish to think that Tennessee fans want to disassociate Tennessee's largest donor from the university.

The Haslams have donated millions upon millions of dollars to the University of Tennessee.

Good luck with that strategy.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's what I'm talking about. Trey can clearly see the problem why can't Vol fans?

[Twitter]https://mobile.twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/935702985262411776[/twitter]

Reactions: 6 people
I'm beginning to think the powers that be will give them all a bonus and contract extension for this. It's a continuum of last couple of AD's and Chancellors. A true "fifth column" at work. (look it up)

Probably have to settle for a lesser coach.. It's just that simple. 6 years 42 million is a lot of money though. I wouldn't hire just to get someone in there now for the sake of saving a few recruits. This hire is more important. Dangle the carrot and see who bites. Surely you can get someone better than Chad Morris (lord help us) for that type of money.

It is nightmarish to think that Tennessee fans want to disassociate Tennessee's largest donor from the university.

The Haslams have donated millions upon millions of dollars to the University of Tennessee.

Jimmy Haslam could go to prison for fraud. Let that sink in.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch Jones entered the season atop everyone's list of "COACHES MOST LIKELY TO BE FIRED BY NOVEMBER." There was always a chance that Butch could change that, but he didn't. The point is that Currie has had five months to think about, prepare, for this coaching change and he apparently didn't. And now here we are, scrambling. He had one job.

I believe Currie's had Schiano in his pocket waiting to pull him out for a lot longer than 5 months.

Reactions: 3 people

Better yet, let’s allow the Haslams to fill every opening on campus with their chosen people.

Reactions: 2 people
What decent coach is really coming to try and turn things around? Shouldn’t someone be blowing a few million in the short term on Currie’s buyout, rather than the extra 2-4 million PER YEAR it’s going take to get a coach...with a good potential of a buyout on the backside of the coach’s contract? Hasn’t anyone in UT Administration taken an Economics class? It getting laughable.

Last edited:
Define “proven coach”. A 2 year OC and prior head coach at Fordham? You’d be ok with that? No. You wouldn’t. We want bigger and better and it’s gonna take time. We screwed up the beginning of this search but you can’t blame the admin for going after Gundy and him saying no.

Well said! The search has been a joke but lets remain rational

I'll give you Currie should've never been hired. Blackburn should've.

But you fools trust Fulmer can hire a respectable head coach when he couldn't hire any respectable assistants to save his own ass?

But you fools trust Fulmer can hire a respectable head coach when he couldn't hire any respectable assistants to save his own ass?

I trust that my 3 year old daughter could conduct a better coaching search than the clown we have doing it now. So, yeah, CPF looks pretty competent in comparison

He delivered Carl Torbush to ETSU. It doesn't get any bigger than that.

Yes. And they need to stay over on the academic side, not keep their nose in the football program.

[Twitter]https://mobile.twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/935702985262411776[/twitter]

Reactions: 4 people

Pretty much this.

Tennessee football as the over forty crowd here has known it is gone forever. The last ten years and the last three days have put a stake in our heart. No decent coach in his right mind is going to step into this situation. The Nineties aren't coming back. We are the equivalent of Kentucky and Vandy now. That is just reality and is the new normal that Vol fans will have to adjust themselves to.

I respectfully disagree. Alabama had the same crisis as did USC. Pete Carroll and Nick Saban fixed it.

The nineties level of success is not out of reach for us. I personally think that with the right coach who knows the history and money we have that Tennessee is a sleeping giant in the college football world.

If we get the ball rolling, the whole state will rally and it won’t be stopped. The RIGHT coach is the push we need to get us going and we as Vol fans recognized that it wasn’t Schiano.

I’m mad at the way the admin handled the first part of this search but you can’t blame them for Gundy turning us down. Sounds like they put on the full court press. Would have been nice to see this effort prior to Sunday though.

UT's athletic director has misplayed his cards bigtime and coaches will sense this and it will only get worse as Currie's demeanor changes to desperate. He needs to be cool, calm and collective. Behind all this there appears to be a force working against him and those are the boosters who are tired of Haslam's attempts to control the AD. There is an inner strife and the fans and student/athletes just have to patiently endure it. Haslam is largely responsible for this ongoing mess and these other boosters know it and are gonna put an end to it. No pain no gain. We'll be made better for it.

VN Store

Back