The Thread Where We Debate About Healthcare in America

Since Medicaid/subsidized Obamacare is free most people that qualify for it don’t sign up until they go to the doctor or ER. They have no incentive to do otherwise.
It's subsidized, not "free."

Their incentive to do so is to have insurance.

It's subsidized, not "free."

Their incentive to do so is to have insurance.
They don’t care if they have insurance. They don’t go to the doctor unless they’re sick. So they have no incentive to sign up for something when they can just sign up at the dr’s office or hospital.

They don’t care if they have insurance. They don’t go to the doctor unless they’re sick. So they have no incentive to sign up for something when they can just sign up at the dr’s office or hospital.

I don't know about Medicaid, but you can't sign up for regular health insurance at the hospital. You enroll at the beginning of the year.

Can you sign up for home owner's insurance when you call the fire department?

I don't know about Medicaid, but you can't sign up for regular health insurance at the hospital. You enroll at the beginning of the year.

Can you sign up for home owner's insurance when you call the fire department?
You can sign up for Medicaid at the hospital. It’s required by law for the hospital and medical facilities to do that. So I qualify for Medicaid, I don’t go to the doctor unless I’m sick or hurt, therefore I have no reason to sign up until I have to. And the people at the hospital handle all the paperwork.

I know this is a snarky remark but this is exactly how ACA was initially proposed. You sign up at the medical facility, you don’t have to pay premiums up front, and you cancel the policy after you leave. We saw a lot of that in the first years, people signing up under the 90 day grace period, getting major surgeries done, and then never paying the policy and letting it lapse. And there was no penalty for doing so.

I know this is a snarky remark but this is exactly how ACA was initially proposed. You sign up at the medical facility, you don’t have to pay premiums up front, and you cancel the policy after you leave. We saw a lot of that in the first years, people signing up under the 90 day grace period, getting major surgeries done, and then never paying the policy and letting it lapse. And there was no penalty for doing so.

I sign up through the marketplace for the year starting January 1. I can't afford to not have insurance. If there's a loophole, it's not an obvious one.

I sign up through the marketplace for the year starting January 1. I can't afford to not have insurance. If there's a loophole, it's not an obvious one.
You sign up for a policy effective 1/1. You get your knees replaced 1/15. You never pay your premiums. Your policy terminates 4/1. You owe nothing and the insurer pays it all.

You sign up for a policy effective 1/1. You get your knees replaced 1/15. You never pay your premiums. Your policy terminates 4/1. You owe nothing and the insurer pays it all.

Cheaters gonna cheat. But that's a different issue than what was raised in the article you posted above.

Cheaters gonna cheat. But that's a different issue than what was raised in the article you posted above.
Never said it was. You said the loophole wasn’t obvious, when it was pointed out almost immediately by insurers and used by people who signed up for ACA plans.

EKOYv3VW4AEBuXj

It's almost like a requirement that people needed to be signed up prior to the visit would be a good idea. We could call it "an individual mandate".

It's almost like a requirement that people needed to be signed up prior to the visit would be a good idea. We could call it "an individual mandate".
They don’t care. It’s like if McDonald’s gave you a free Big Mac if you walked in the store or registered online before walking in. If the result is the same people will just walk in. People who qualify for Medicaid aren’t subject to the mandate anyways.

Then why didnt they when it was required? ACA was a joke from the start anyone who looked at it with two brain cells could see.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Justifiably so.

Taxpayers are still paying for the uninsured since 95% of them know that they can saunter into any ER in America and get treated for a stuffy nose. The difference now is that the uninsured have no disincentive to avoid getting insurance. At least with the mandate, there was a penalty. So now we still pay for it while the uninsured laugh.

Taxpayers are still paying for the uninsured since 95% of them know that they can saunter into any ER in America and get treated for a stuffy nose. The difference now is that the uninsured have no disincentive to avoid getting insurance. At least with the mandate, there was a penalty.
Can't get blood from a stone.

People cried about the mandate and associated penalty.
The same people who are now signing up at the place of health care?

Doesnt seem to add up. I bet it happens/ed, but I am betting most arent the same crowd.

Taxpayers are still paying for the uninsured since 95% of them know that they can saunter into any ER in America and get treated for a stuffy nose. The difference now is that the uninsured have no disincentive to avoid getting insurance. At least with the mandate, there was a penalty. So now we still pay for it while the uninsured laugh.
Now we pay much more than we used to for the same end results.

Yay government regulations.

And lol at anyone who didnt see this coming.

VN Store

Back