The Third Yugoslav War Approaches

@pmakela1

Petri Mäkelä Retweeted GazetaExpressEnglish

Serious talk in #Kosovo on reactivating #KLA if #KosovoArmy isn't established immediately. #Escalation is imminent.
@20committee

Balkan rising.

I've been content to discuss such things in the Ukraine thread the past couple of weeks, but figured I'd bump this thread, because it's only a matter of time.

We'll see how the newly-minted President Donald J. Trump handles this one.

Serbia wants to annex part of Kosovo using 'Crimea model': president | Reuters

Dark days for the West approach. We better be strong, and, to quote my late, great high school football coach, "You better get your jock strapped on."

Yes, we will see how Trump handles it? We already know how Obama or Hillary would have handled (mishandled) it. We might even listen to the military for a change?

It's a start.

Serbia's close historic ties with Russia, however, are not really about Slavic unity. Russia as the defender of all the Slavs, going back to the days of the tsars, is just a myth. What really counts is Orthodoxy.

The Serbs are Orthodox Slavs, and, as far as the Russians are concerned, the Catholic Croats and the Islamic Bosniaks - all Slavs - can go to hell.

Orthodoxy yes, but also:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38630152

Kosovo independance from Serbia is at question.

Last edited:
Kosovar and Albanian media calling for annexation.

That would be an act of war, at least in Serbia's mind (which is all that matters).

This is all escalating quickly, much quicker than I had anticipated.

Also, calls by some in Kosovo to re-mobilize the Kosovo Liberation Army. Kosovo, for the record, does not have a standing military since NATO peacekeepers are a part of the Dayton Accord. This too could be construed as an act of war by the Serbs.

I know very little about the previous wars. Why does the USA really care what happens with this conflict?

Nato...and the spread of islam through violence. Not that i advocate american boots on the ground there...i dont. No more black hawk down type incidents. May end up a proxy war where we arm 1 side and soviets arm the other...again.

@Petrit

Great from @NATO SG on #Kosovo: KS Police need no permission from NATO to act in its entire territory. KS will decide itself on its army too

This will surely trigger the Serbs.

If you haven't been following the Balkans the last couple of days tensions are still high. Serbia put its armed forces on snap combat readiness and Kosovo has introduced legislation to formally the Kosovo Security Force into the Kosovo Armed Forces.

Kosovo Moves to Establish Army, Defying Belgrade

That may not trigger the war, but it will definitely put Belgrade on high alert.

I read last night where Russia is evidently sending even more Migs to the Serbs.

After a failed coup in Montenegro, I guess Putin has to go back to ole' reliable: Serb nationalism.

VN Store

Back