The team just quit...

Good message for the team

[twitter]https://twitter.com/derrickfurlowjr/status/914273592682205185[/twitter]

JG's attitude is terrible too. It looks like it's happening on both sides of the ball. I think it started with Hurd last year. Butch tried to fit the offense to Hurd and in turn, Butch sacrificed team unity/success to make him happy and he still quit.

Disagree. He actually did the opposite and then chose to play Hurd in an offense that better fit running backs behind him.

Hurd made a poor decision and didn't handle that situation the way he should have. Which Im sure caused some locker room issues, but the rest of that story doesn't get played as much. Oddly or ironically enough its replaying itself in a different way now.

One common denominator.

I don't usually agree with you.

But...

Why don't we run trick plays anymore. We used to. It's almost like Butch had nothing to do with those. Why is that?

Georgia's freshman QB has done well this year. We have a freshman QB. He can't run the offense for crap. He doesn't play because of it. Why is that? UGA plays a freshman plays well.

Apparently there's a major difference in how their coaches vs. our coaches go about training, developing players. I don't see a major difference in the recruiting classes, except that they have gotten 2 better QB's in the past couple of years. No other rational explaination and several posters on VN mention this often. It seems we have talent but it has trouble meshing as a unit.

I feel our defense is showing some progress but verses UGA our offense hung them out to dry IMO. I don't think anyone can fully explain why UT football just can't get going and it's happening more and more frequently.

This is a good question. "Who are these guys playing for?". Butch would have us believe that he has key "leaders" that mentor the younger players. Huh? Are these players playing for various "leaders"? What happens when these leaders get hurt or fail. Are these players now leaderless? I just don't get why Butch would tribalize the team unless he can't lead the team himself.

That's a good response. No matter how you spin it our top 2 denfensive leaders aren't gonna play at all this year. DKjr and TKjr. It get's downplayed to the media but the loss of DKjr hampered UT's defense more than any coach is willing to admit. UT hasn't recruited LB's at a level they need to to build quality depth. The closest thing I've seen as a leader on the D is D.Taylor being somewhat vocal. Vicker's is a 5th yr. senior but not very vocal.

On offense it has to be J.Kelly but that shouldn't be the case. Kelly leads with grit and determination. QD is just too quite. He does know, to a large degree, how to set the offense but that's about it. He and our receivers aren't on the same page and all our receivers were covered very tightly in the Ga. game. J.Jennings had good leadership abilities but since being injured I don't think he's even been seen on the sidelines which isn't normal at all. Maybe these injured "leaders" are on the sideline and I'm just not seeing them. So their absence is an indication that something just isn't right internally with UT football.

I don't want to go all the way back to the J.Hurd debacle other than say it very much appears as though CBJ has a hard time getting some of the players to "give their all," which would start in the weight room and developing a winning attitude. I actually believe some of our players have, for some time now, simply lost confidence in 1st, the coach and 2nd, in each other. Leadership starts at the top,IMO.

I wanted to wait and not be emotional when I talked about this. I have been a big Butch supporter but even I have seen enough now. Time for that man to go period. The kids are not fighting for him. He has lost the team or at least it looks that way from the stands.

JG's attitude is terrible too. It looks like it's happening on both sides of the ball. I think it started with Hurd last year. Butch tried to fit the offense to Hurd and in turn, Butch sacrificed team unity/success to make him happy and he still quit.

Thanks possum. I said pretty much the same thing in a post a few mins. before this but can't go into detail because I don't know all the facts. I do think that the Hurd matter did something to divide the team in some manner. The bottom line, worst case scenario,.....it's about attitude and being a winner. Kirk Herbstreit said it best when he said UT has all the peices we just need to make them fit. Seems our coach simply isn't up to the task.

One way or the other this has to occur to move forward. CBJ has to man up and admit he made a serious mistake in promoting CLS to offensive coordinator. Scott brought Beard on board due to ties each had at Miami. A receiver has a "built-in advantage" against a defender because he knows where the play is going.Our young receivers aren't being coached or either it's not showing, how to go about getting separation from the defender. That falls under basic fundamental practices. By one way or the other, I mean either AD Currie lights a fire under CBJ's @ss to go get an OC who knows how to run an offense or CBJ takes it upon himself to realize his mistake. If CBJ allows stubborness,pride,whatever to interfere with rational thinking, I predict that UT football will suffer and continue to regress as is already occurring. CBJ allowed this situation to come about and it's his job to right the ship.

hell, mine would be too sitting behind dormady. don't tell the media the competition is close and then i have to sit while this guy stinks it up. give me a shot!

and please stop trying to fit JG with hurd. it is pathetic. look, obviously ur a dormady fan. he stunk it up. deal with it

I'm comparing QD to Hurd. Butch's offense is basically read option and QD looks more like a pocket passer to me. I agree, JG should've been in the game sooner but the way he acted on the sidelines when we played GT was immature and concerning (especially for a QB). BTW, I'm not a QD fan.

Listen I’m not defending Butch but what he as done up until last season was impressive the problem is when the pressure is on , Butch can’t handle it . Teams typically feed off their coach and what see is exactly that

It's becoming more and more obvious that players like Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Barnett, JRM, Sutton, etc. masked the complete inadequacy of Butch and his system for years. He had at least 2 years of a free pass just because of Dooley, then Dobbs and Co. managed to pull off enough magic on their own to keep us from falling completely apart.

If anything, this makes me appreciate those guys much more than I thought possible. We said it in years past, that Butch wasn't a game-day coach and there were questions about player development, but we didn't really look under the hood. Biggest red flag to me was the insistence on putting Dormady at QB and saying he would work just fine in this idiotic offense. It's been all down here from there as the results speak for themselves across the board.

By one way or the other, I mean either AD Currie lights a fire under CBJ's @ss to go get an OC who knows how to run an offense or CBJ takes it upon himself to realize his mistake. If CBJ allows stubborness,pride,whatever to interfere with rational thinking, I predict that UT football will suffer and continue to regress as is already occurring. CBJ allowed this situation to come about and it's his job to right the ship.

This should have been done this past offseason when anyone who knew anything about football could see that the only reason Lyles O did anything last year was because Dobbs could take broken plays and turn them into huge gains, we had rbs that could bounce out of the nonexistent holes and make yards and Malone and jj could win jump balls.
The actual O was garbage we just had players that would say screw the play call and just make things happen. Once he had the chance to bring in someone worth a darn he balked and instead went with a yes man that would stick with his garbage play book. Worse yet he is now making the Kelly run at the nonexistent holes instead of making plays, the wrs don’t break off their routes and do whatever it takes to get open and dormady, well last game he had 15 open yards in front of him and instead of running threw it at the feet of the rb to end the play.

Thanks possum. I said pretty much the same thing in a post a few mins. before this but can't go into detail because I don't know all the facts. I do think that the Hurd matter did something to divide the team in some manner. The bottom line, worst case scenario,.....it's about attitude and being a winner. Kirk Herbstreit said it best when he said UT has all the peices we just need to make them fit. Seems our coach simply isn't up to the task.

One way or the other this has to occur to move forward. CBJ has to man up and admit he made a serious mistake in promoting CLS to offensive coordinator. Scott brought Beard on board due to ties each had at Miami. A receiver has a "built-in advantage" against a defender because he knows where the play is going.Our young receivers aren't being coached or either it's not showing, how to go about getting separation from the defender. That falls under basic fundamental practices. By one way or the other, I mean either AD Currie lights a fire under CBJ's @ss to go get an OC who knows how to run an offense or CBJ takes it upon himself to realize his mistake. If CBJ allows stubborness,pride,whatever to interfere with rational thinking, I predict that UT football will suffer and continue to regress as is already occurring. CBJ allowed this situation to come about and it's his job to right the ship.

TN has great individual football players but it seems like this team doesn't trust, like, or believe in each other. It's a divided team and Butch is the reason for it.

VN Store

Back