The Semantics of "We Deserve Better."

Is that true? I don't doubt you i just wonder if there is any site demographics? Because id the majority are under 16, then I am in the wrong venue.
I had better things to do, than sit at a computer and look at stuff like this...get a life 16 year old people!

Why do you hate America? It's obvious you think we are no better than any other country out there, and that we only have what we have in this country because of our imperialistic foreign policy and war mongering that we use to pillage other countries and rob them of their resources.

Huh?

It's simple. "We" pay so those young men have the honor to play football, get a free education and showcase their talent for the NFL.

Yes "we" deserve better.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Your argument is valid to an extent. However, it's sad when "we" talk crap about the players when they make bad plays or don't execute, all while knowing that "we" are no more capable than them. Yes, they do have a lot of opportunity through playing football, but I'm pretty sure it is a lot of pressure to be 18-22 years old and have that many people living vicariously though your successes. When they screw up, it ruins our day/week. Having said that, I would love to see them win again on a regular basis.

Some of us are Alumni, have donated tons of our money to UT, have spent money and personal time traveling to support UT football all over the country, been devoted since birth and made UT sports a way of life, and after all that consider the fact we are therefore VOLS FOR LIFE!

Tennessee Football is bigger than Dooley, Hart, or any other employee of the university. They will come and go on to other jobs but we will all remain here V.F.L.'s until we die. Thus....WE deserve better....the legacy those V.F.L.'s that built "this" before us deserve better for all their blood, sweat, tears, and efforts to make Tennessee unlike any other program in the country.

Sorry that you simply never have figured that out on your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've seen some pretty decent responses. What type of answer are you looking for? I deserve to know

Additional question: if its about spending money, couldn't nearly every fanbase claim they 'deserve better' unless they are top ten or so?

It's simple. "We" pay so those young men have the honor to play football, get a free education and showcase their talent for the NFL.

Yes "we" deserve better.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So its more about them winning than their education I'm guessing?

Some of us are Alumni, have donated tons of our money to UT, have spent money and personal time traveling to support UT football all over the country, been devoted since birth and made UT sports a way of life, and after all that consider the fact we are therefore VOLS FOR LIFE!

Tennessee Football is bigger than Dooley, Hart, or any other employee of the university. They will come and go on to other jobs but we will all remain here V.F.L.'s until we die. Thus....WE deserve better....the legacy those V.F.L.'s that built "this" before us deserve better for all their blood, sweat, tears, and efforts to make Tennessee unlike any other program in the country.

Why so hostile sir?

I'm sure you have done a lot for the university. Not sure why that entitles you to a winning football team, but whatever.

I've not seen a lot of "We deserve better" irl but I have seen a lot of "the University deserves better".

And if you don't feel like "your" university deserves better than 6-7 wins a season then you are a dumbass. (Not saying you are OP, just generalizing a bit.)

Every fan of any school with an ounce of pride should think the same thing.

To speak about the coach specifically, UT should have had higher standards and a large enough money truck to get the BEST.

There have been some good ones. It just seems a little weird to say 'we deserve young men to play better.'

You could probably argue this from many angles, but I think folks feel like they deserve better coaching to enable the players to play "better" so they can reach their full potential. This should also include the X's & O's as well as talent development. The players who want to get better and work their ass off deserve this.

We fans are selfish, but it's kind of our job to root for and expect results. That's what makes us fans or fanatics? Saying you "deserve" something could be confused with selfeshness but to me it's a level of expectation we vol fans have of the program.

Okay, so just to start a thread that isn't about firing DD and to get it off my chest, why do I keep seeing fans say that they 'deserve' better than this?

Look, I know it sucks to lose and that the fanbase isnt happy with the current state of affairs, but I'm not sure where you get off saying that you deserve better (unless of course you are a power booster).

So here's your chance. Tell us all why you 'deserve' to have 19-24 year olds play a game more successfully so you can be happy on Saturdays in the fall.

p.s. I love UT football and want them to be better. Just not sure I see the logic in this statement.

Here's the thing.

I used to hate that line of thought- We (as fans) deserve better. I thought it was childish and petulant.

Then I sat in the Stadium Saturday.

I watched Reggie McKenzie walk out in front of a crowd of about 45k. He deserves better.

I watched that small crowd again watch the video of Eric Berry giving his dad a blue tick hound. Both of them deserve better.

I watched Generals and a fighter pilot that went to UT be recognized in front of that small crowd. They deserve better.

I saw several old lettermen grumbling about what UT looked like on Saturday. They deserve better.

I watched guys like Lathers (a guy that has busted his a$$ and is EXACTLY what you want representing UT) have their face blistered by his coaches as soon as they hit the sidelines...even though many times it appeared it was the defensive schemes put in that were failing. He deserves better.

I watched my father and uncle, both UT alums in their 60s who have watched UT since they were kids in Oak Ridge, shake their heads with every baffling call or ridiculous bust. They deserve better.

Are their parts of the fanbase that don't deserve better? Sure, they'd just complain as soon as whatever's better shows up.

But the UT family as a whole for damn sure deserves better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
In the big game of life, all I do is win win win! So something gots to give here

Why do you hate America? It's obvious you think we are no better than any other country out there, and that we only have what we have in this country because of our imperialistic foreign policy and war mongering that we use to pillage other countries and rob them of their resources.

Not America...

I'm sure you have done a lot for the university. Not sure why that entitles you to a winning football team, but whatever.

Man it is about all...ALL...players, ex-players, students, donors, Alumni, and fans across the state or across the country or the world....starting all the way back to 1891.

Per Wiki:
The Vols have amassed a successful tradition for well over a century, with their combined record of 794-349-52 ranking them ninth on the list of all-time winningest major college programs as well as second on the list of winningest SEC programs. Their all-time ranking in bowl appearances is third (49) and sixth in all-time bowl victories. They boast six national titles in their history and their last national championship was in the 1998 college football season.

The Vols play at historic Neyland Stadium, where Tennessee has an all-time winning record of 426 games, the second-highest home-field total in college football history for any school in the nation at its current home venue. Only Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, which opened in 1913, eight years before the 1921 opening of Neyland, has hosted more victories (432) for its team. Additionally, its 102,455 seat capacity makes Neyland the nation's fourth largest stadium and largest below the Mason-Dixon Line.

All those VFL's before us built this program to where it is today. Their legacy and tradition of winning deserves to continue. That is why we all deserve it. We are the 2nd winningest football program in S.E.C. history....you don't think the VolNation deserves to keep it that way?

It is my opinion of course but all the answers you get are pretty much going to be. It sounds like maybe you don't want a real answer. You just want to stay stuck to the no one deserves anything trip...but whatever.

We have been getting what we deserve for the past four years. We ran off a coaching legend becaus idiots thought it was better for the program. It's worked out well hasn't it?

Man seriously what kind of answer are you looking for? Haha he gave you a legitimate reason. But you're right we don't "deserve" anything. The kids playing deserve better. They all had multiple opportunities to go else where but they choose UT. Although education is good, you are kidding yourself if you think that these kids come here for only the education. These players want to go to the NFL and they have coaches that are not coaching them up and getting the most out of them. THEY deserve better and as fans we see that and want them to have better coaches. I for one am not going to another game until they make a change. We have more talent then what is being utilized! Anyone who has given money to the AD can make their own argument as to why they deserve better. Mine is simply that the players that put on that orange jersey on Saturday and represent this great university deserve to have the best opportunity possible. That's not happening right now ad makes most of us sick. (Maybe not you)

Here's the thing.

I used to hate that line of thought- We (as fans) deserve better. I thought it was childish and petulant.

I watched Reggie McKenzie walk out in front of a crowd of about 45k. He deserves better.

I watched that small crowd again watch the video of Eric Berry giving his dad a blue tick hound. Both of them deserve better.

I watched Generals and a fighter pilot that went to UT be recognized in front of that small crowd. They deserve better.

I saw several old lettermen grumbling about what UT looked like on Saturday. They deserve better.

I watched guys like Lathers (a guy that has busted his a$$ and is EXACTLY what you want representing UT) have their face blistered by his coaches as soon as they hit the sidelines...even though many times it appeared it was the defensive schemes put in that were failing. He deserves better.

I watched my father and uncle, both UT alums in their 60s who have watched UT since they were kids in Oak Ridge, shake their heads with every baffling call or ridiculous bust. They deserve better.

Are their parts of the fanbase that don't deserve better? Sure, they'd just complain as soon as whatever's better shows up.

This is exactly what I am trying to get to. But the OP seems to think that is all garbage...at least from his response to my post. True VFL's deserve better...young, old, and past.

I'll give it a shot:

There seem to be two groups that might have a legitimate claim: those who live in and pay taxes to the State of Tennessee; those who purchase football tickets and/or give money to the UTAD.

The State of Tennessee provides money to the UTAD annually. Thus, anyone who pays taxes in Tennessee is, in some small measure, paying part of Dooley's salary. I think someone who is paying any money for such mediocrity has legitimate grounds for complaint; and, I think the purpose can reasonably say that they deserve that their money is better spent.

Same argument can be made with those who purchase tickets and give money to the UTAD.

As for me, I live in Boston and do neither. I do not deserve anything from the team. However, Dooley ought to be ashamed for the piss poor product he puts on the field week in and week out.

After the money leaves your pocket.. it is then by definition not your money any more..

So no, you have no right to determine how it is spent at that point..

You can however choose to keep it in your pocket.. and then it stays your money...

Here's the thing.

at what point was there only 45k in the stands?

We have been getting what we deserve for the past four years. We ran off a coaching legend becaus idiots thought it was better for the program. It's worked out well hasn't it?

How good was his teams the past five years he was coaching here? I don't remember him beating Saban, miles, Meyer, Spurrier etc.. That's the SEC now a days if you cant hang then something has to give. I loved Phil but his day was long gone. All this complaining about firing him isn't going to bring him back. Just give it a rest and move on

VN Store

Back