The Semantics of "We Deserve Better."

royboyvol

Okay, so just to start a thread that isn't about firing DD and to get it off my chest, why do I keep seeing fans say that they 'deserve' better than this?

Look, I know it sucks to lose and that the fanbase isnt happy with the current state of affairs, but I'm not sure where you get off saying that you deserve better (unless of course you are a power booster).

So here's your chance. Tell us all why you 'deserve' to have 19-24 year olds play a game more successfully so you can be happy on Saturdays in the fall.

p.s. I love UT football and want them to be better. Just not sure I see the logic in this statement.

Reactions: 3 people
You are right, a lot of people (including myself) make a huge deal out of Tennessee Football. I can't really explain it I guess the best memory I have of Tennessee Football is when we defeated Florida in 2004 and I was only 7 or 8. I am 16 and I guess we as fans just feel like they should win more games. I like to think of it another way... I think the players deserve a better coach because we have a lot of talent on this team.

Reactions: 1 person
You're right. To be fair, we should insist that other programs have a chance to succeed. Being one of the best programs in history should be enough.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll give it a shot:

There seem to be two groups that might have a legitimate claim: those who live in and pay taxes to the State of Tennessee; those who purchase football tickets and/or give money to the UTAD.

The State of Tennessee provides money to the UTAD annually. Thus, anyone who pays taxes in Tennessee is, in some small measure, paying part of Dooley's salary. I think someone who is paying any money for such mediocrity has legitimate grounds for complaint; and, I think the purpose can reasonably say that they deserve that their money is better spent.

Same argument can be made with those who purchase tickets and give money to the UTAD.

As for me, I live in Boston and do neither. I do not deserve anything from the team. However, Dooley ought to be ashamed for the piss poor product he puts on the field week in and week out.

Reactions: 7 people
Okay, so just to start a thread that isn't about firing DD and to get it off my chest, why do I keep seeing fans say that they 'deserve' better than this?

Look, I know it sucks to lose and that the fanbase isnt happy with the current state of affairs, but I'm not sure where you get off saying that you deserve better (unless of course you are a power booster).

So here's your chance. Tell us all why you 'deserve' to have 19-24 year olds play a game more successfully so you can be happy on Saturdays in the fall.

p.s. I love UT football and want them to be better. Just not sure I see the logic in this statement.

Why do you hate America? It's obvious you think we are no better than any other country out there, and that we only have what we have in this country because of our imperialistic foreign policy and war mongering that we use to pillage other countries and rob them of their resources.

Reactions: 5 people
Hey if you like a mediocre team with then more power to you. Most fans would like to see their favorite team get wins against good teams. Not go down to last possession of the game against a team from the sun belt. Heck, even UK's AD thought they deserved better when the parted ways with Joker Phillips today.

Last edited:
Why do you hate America? It's obvious you think we are no better than any other country out there, and that we only have what we have in this country because of our imperialistic foreign policy and war mongering that we use to pillage other countries and rob them of their resources.

I approve this message.

You don't have to be a "power booster" to expect your money to be spent wisely-- lots of people pay $2K-$3K for season tix and donate four or five figures annually to their alma mater. UT seems to really want this to continue, judging by the barrage of emails, snail mail and phone calls urging donors to give give give.

Because I am a trophy husband and I am accustom to getting what I want. The world revolves around me And I want the Vols to win! So let's make it happen!

It's simple. "We" pay so those young men have the honor to play football, get a free education and showcase their talent for the NFL.

Yes "we" deserve better.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 3 people
Top 10 all time winning program with one of the biggest stadiums and some of the best facilities constantly disrespected by all other SEC teams. School and area that depend on fans and their dollars spent at the football games that will be hurting when those dollars aren't spent.

Vols football used to be the standardbearer for pretty much the entire state athleticswise and UTK football got to be the historically great program that it is by marketing itself that way and accepting statewide support. If Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek want to field a team that really isn't concerned with wins or losses then I wish they'd just hold a presser and say so.

Hey if you like a mediocre team with then more power to you. Must fans would like to see their favorite team get wins against good teams. Not go down to last possession of the game against a team from the sun belt. Heck, even UK's AD thought they deserved better when the parted ways with Joker Phillips today.

Because not understanding why fans think they deserve something is the same as wanting to lose.

The fact we are having a debate over this type of question just goes to show how far Tenn. has fallen and what we have become. On behalf of vol fans everywhere - we shouldnt have to justify wanting to win and to play better football.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll give it a shot:

There seem to be two groups that might have a legitimate claim: those who live in and pay taxes to the State of Tennessee; those who purchase football tickets and/or give money to the UTAD.

The State of Tennessee provides money to the UTAD annually. Thus, anyone who pays taxes in Tennessee is, in some small measure, paying part of Dooley's salary. I think someone who is paying any money for such mediocrity has legitimate grounds for complaint; and, I think the purpose can reasonably say that they deserve that their money is better spent.

Same argument can be made with those who purchase tickets and give money to the UTAD.

As for me, I live in Boston and do neither. I do not deserve anything from the team. However, Dooley ought to be ashamed for the piss poor product he puts on the field week in and week out.
Could not be said better!! Thank you!

Top 10 all time winning program with one of the biggest stadiums and some of the best facilities constantly disrespected by all other SEC teams. School and area that depend on fans and their dollars spent at the football games that will be hurting when those dollars aren't spent.

Probably best point you could make. Still not sure it equates with 'we deserve' but maybe...

Hey if you like a mediocre team with then more power to you. Most fans would like to see their favorite team get wins against good teams. Not go down to last possession of the game against a team from the sun belt. Heck, even UK's AD thought they deserved better when the parted ways with Joker Phillips today.

you clearly don't understand the man's question.

The fact we are having a debate over this type of question just goes to show how far Tenn. has fallen and what we have become. On behalf of vol fans everywhere - we shouldnt have to justify wanting to win and to play better football.

Wanting to win and saying 'we deserve to' are not the same thing. If you don't get that, then necermind.

Vols football used to be the standardbearer for pretty much the entire state athleticswise and UTK football got to be the historically great program that it is by marketing itself that way and accepting statewide support. If Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek want to field a team that really isn't concerned with wins or losses then I wish they'd just hold a presser and say so.

+1. It's not like I would stop caring entirely if they did this, but at least get everyone on the same page and let the fans know that the school isn't committed to fielding a winner anymore.

I'll take a shot. We live in a self-entitled, instant gratification society. We don't "deserve" anything from this team. In the end, it is a game being played by young mortal men for entertainment. The AD promises nothing as far as Ws and Ls. If you don't like it, don't endorse it. Am I disappointed? Heck yeah, but this University owes me nothing. If anything, I owe it for the awesome education it gave me.

VN Store

Back