The Section 103 Postgame Report

After the way he hustled and defended in the first half, it was a crime he didn't play more. I guess Bruce felt the need to leave his adopted son JP on the floor.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I would rather the whole team play with one arm than see Prince on the floor ever again. He will be selling insurance in Memphis in just 2 short years, Tabb will probably share an office with him.

I really wish we would get Tyler, Negedu, and Chism on the floor together. Our outside shooting sucks anyway, having Tyler at the 3 would be an upgrade I think.

Our O is so stagnant right now, nobody really wants the shot.

I've decided that I don't buy into the idea our team plays soft...I think it's more that they play lazy. They do a great job getting to the rim, then instead of going up strong and putting it in, they toss up a lazy little finger roll or try to finesse a little floater in. Drives are slow, like they're hoping to God someone fouls before they have to run all the way to the rim and put it in.

They go around screens, rather than through them, to let guys that make Lofton look like Gatlin drive at will and lay it up. Just lazy, slow basketball. Tyler Smith looks like he's in a totally different gear. Chism plays tough from time to time (last night being a great night on the boards), but other than that we'd rather take a 3 pointer from the wing with guys that don't have that shot instead of driving in.

Passes? Nah, we don't need to pass the ball. The inbound and the pass from the PG is plenty. Just jack up some shot...doesn't matter if anyone is around...they're still jogging up the court.

Defense? Don't get back...why in the world would you want to be in a defensive set before they other team gets the ball down the court? Let it go 5-4 while our 5th complains about a missed shot/uncalled foul, or gloats about that wicked finger roll that dropped.

We've got a talented team, but we are guaranteed at least 10-15 minutes of play that resembles pre-game warmups.

The worst part was the 3-part play by JP that killed us in OT. He misses a point blank shot, let's a guy go free for a reverse layup, and then airballs a three after we turn them over.

This team simply can't, or chooses not to, defend. I'm really not sure which it is. It's amazing how many open looks other teams are getting at the basket. The Vols just aren't contesting shots.

When the game is on the line, no one on the court plays with more determination than Tyler Smith. He steps up, and he delivers. I'll hate to see him go after this season.

This team looks destined for a 10-6ish SEC record. In the current SEC, that's just sad.

Last night confirmed my thoughts even more about Maze. Not the answer to our PG problems. Never was.

Pearl needs to stick to a 8 man rotation, Brian Williams need not play anymore minutes the rest of the season.. I got a new lineup and rotation for Pearl that seems to be the best for this team...

Starters...

Maze
Tatum
Tyler
Negedu
Chism

3 off the bench...
Hopson
Prince
Tabb

Tyler attacks, but the out of control quadruple pump thing has destroyed his offensive game. He needs to pull up and drill it or give it up.

Lack of Zone O killed us, along with Prince.

Teams are going to zone us all year. We have no PG.

We'll be lucky to score 60 againt UK Tuesday.

This team simply can't, or chooses not to, defend. I'm really not sure which it is. It's amazing how many open looks other teams are getting at the basket. The Vols just aren't contesting shots.

When the game is on the line, no one on the court plays with more determination than Tyler Smith. He steps up, and he delivers. I'll hate to see him go after this season.

This team looks destined for a 10-6ish SEC record. In the current SEC, that's just sad.

Yea, the SEC is bad this year, but we are not exempt from that so i think its just as sad for every other team in the SEC if they go 10-6ish

Lack of Zone O killed us, along with Prince.

It's hard for me to comprehend that a guard/swingman, on D-1 scholarship in the SEC, can get the ball at 19 feet and have every defender on the court scurry away from him, have all the time in the world to take his shot, and still miss the basket by 2 feet.

I believe Maze would be our most consistent 3 threat if he had the oppritunity to concentrate more on his shooting and move around the arc. Unfortunately with no other legit pgs thats not an option.

It's hard for me to comprehend that a guard/swingman, on D-1 scholarship in the SEC, can get the ball at 19 feet and have every defender on the court scurry away from him, have all the time in the world to take his shot, and still miss the basket by 2 feet.
With have two that fit that profile.... Tabb and Prince! You forgot to add he should also be able to put up a righthanded layup!

And, I don't know if this was discussed last night in the game thread, but did it annoy anyone else that Bilas continued, for minutes, to complain about the refs missing the call on Tyler Smith's hand going up through the net?

It's not that I think Bilas is anti-UT. It could have been a Gonzaga player's hand through the net, and it would have bothered me that he kept on complaining about it.

I get that the ref "technically" missed the call. But, that was final shot of the game, and it didn't have a prayer of going in the basket. Tyler's hand didn't touch the ball, or the rim, or alter the shot in any way. Why would anyone want the game to be decided on a call like that?

some very good points brought up in this thread, and most all of which valid.

the defensive woes continue, and last night i saw lack of effort and utter confusion. i wish it was only one issue, but this team so far in this season has only shown a penchant for giving up way too many uncontested shots, inside and outside, and they also get caught out of position way too easily and apparently can't defend ball screens....

Jay Bilas was dead on in his assesment that we simply don't get any anyone's way. when bouldin went 85 feet in the 1st half, Bilas couldn't believe it. in the 2nd half, late, when he got that uncontested lay up, he was very candid in saying "it's not like he used great speed to get around them, he took 4 dribbles, Tennessee just didn't get anyone in his way". he was very critical, in a constructive way if that's possible, of Tennessee's defensive struggles......

kudos to Wayne Chism. there were points in the game where i thought if he could do that on a consistent basis he could be one of the best players in the SEC.

Brian Williams........if he just had a shot. I agree with those that want more Negedu.

JP......at times i am amazed at what he can do with the ball. the other side of that coin is there are still too many times where i'm screaming WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Offensively, this team still has the same problem. no real shooters. no reason to come out and guard anyone. i don't think they can count on Tatum getting 20+ every night.

just a myriad of issues for this team to overcome right now.........and with conf. play starting up this weekend............ugh.

oh well......i'll simply leave it with this....i thought the overall effort was there (how many times in the 2nd half did we miss those inside shots.....2nd chance, 3rd chance.......oh, it was infuriating to see 2, 3 shots go up and Gonzaga finally come away with the rebound). i thought they made some very poor shot selections when it mattered most. i still think when TBA is up for a game, it's a very tough place to play. and as a former student that never saw anything like last night in that building, i am thankful for that. 37 home game winning streak that was 2nd in the nation at the time? never thought i'd see that.

as for Pearl......he'll be fine and this team will get better. there is some young talent and as long as he can continue to recruit like he has we'll have talent on the floor.

anyway.......

And, I don't know if this was discussed last night in the game thread, but did it annoy anyone else that Bilas continued, for minutes, to complain about the refs missing the call on Tyler Smith's hand going up through the net?

It's not that I think Bilas is anti-UT. It could have been a Gonzaga player's hand through the net, and it would have bothered me that he kept on complaining about it.

I get that the ref "technically" missed the call. But, that was final shot of the game, and it didn't have a prayer of going in the basket. Tyler's hand didn't touch the ball, or the rim, or alter the shot in any way. Why would anyone want the game to be decided on a call like that?
i thought he spent too much time on it, but i didn't think he was complaining.......i never heard him say that Gonzaga should have won or anything......in fact he did wind up saying it didn't matter.

i think his big thing was that the ref had told him something, and the play was contrary to what the ref said he saw, and how he interpreted the rule.

it was a valid gripe. and i think for all involved, were glad that the game wasn't decided on that call.

jmo.

I could care less about our missed 15-21 footers. We missed way too many 1 footers.
they're both part of the same problem.

but i agree, there were way too many shots, 2nd chance shots, 3rd chance shots, and so on.......that simply didn't drop. very frustrating.

After watching that game last night, I think that if there is anyone left that defends the play of JP Princess they should be immediately banned.

I laughed out loud when he took that three....pitiful. Negedu is one of the few players on this team that shows defensive intensity and he sits so Princess can turn the ball over and not defend.

I hope we can find the right mix soon, or it is going to get bad.

Teams are going to zone us all year. We have no PG.

We'll be lucky to score 60 againt UK Tuesday.

And until we figure out that you beat zones from the high post or lane, we'll continue to look stupid against them. 5 guys in a pentagon formation just doesn't work.

what I saw last night...

Maze looks confused, scared or nervous. One late timeout I saw him taking deep breaths and looking very nervous.

The only player I really enjoy watching is Chism and as mentioned he still has mental lapses.

The 14 point run to start the game by Tatum was incredible. He should be very good, very soon.

I wish Pearl would give Hopson his walking papers. I specifically watched him last night and I have rarely seen a player act like that. Zero passion, zero heart and you can clearly tell he doesn't give a damn about the team.

Um JP, dunk the effing basketball and do nothing else.

Tyler plays hard and is a good college player but does not have an NBA game IMO. He still doesn't have a jump shot.

Loved the atmosphere last night!

I cussed...

VN Store

Back