The Section 103 Postgame Report

hatvol96

1. Lackluster effort, which is to expected after the big weekend in Orlando.
2. Asheville is awful.
3. Brian Williams is a go to scoring move away from being a big time offensive force. Chism could take lessons from him on how to pass out of the double.
4. Good crowd for a bad opponent on a Wednesday night.
5. Whoever impressed upon Renaldo Woolridge to attack the rim off the dribble in the second half deserves kudos. He had been totally one dimensional the last couple of games.
6. Nobody does less work to get his points than JP Prince. I'm just waiting for a teammate to refuse to throw him the ball on one of his snowbird forays.
7. If what we're seeing now is all UT is going to get out of Wayne Chism, this team is going to fall well short of expectations.
8. It's becoming readily apparent that Tyler Smith is going to be the primary ballhandler in UT's halfcourt offense.
9. Josh Tabb showed more offensive aggressiveness tonight. He needs to keep coming with that.
10. I bet there was a point in his career when Bruce figured win #400 would come at Southern Indiana.

Also, there might be room for a #11 on this one - defense. There were times UNCA made us look silly with defensive breakdowns. Marquette will eat our lunch if we don't correct it.

6. Nobody does less work to get his points than JP Prince. I'm just waiting for a teammate to refuse to throw him the ball on one of his snowbird forays.

I keep wondering why Coach Pearl continues to give him that amount of playing time.

2. Asheville is awful.
3. Brian Williams is a go to scoring move away from being a big time offensive force. Chism could take lessons from him on how to pass out of the double.
5. Whoever impressed upon Renaldo Woolridge to attack the rim off the dribble in the second half deserves kudos. He had been totally one dimensional the last couple of games.
7. If what we're seeing now is all UT is going to get out of Wayne Chism, this team is going to fall well short of expectations.
8. It's becoming readily apparent that Tyler Smith is going to be the primary ballhandler in UT's halfcourt offense.
9. Josh Tabb showed more offensive aggressiveness tonight. He needs to keep coming with that.
10. I bet there was a point in his career when Bruce figured win #400 would come at Southern Indiana.

Which may very well be the reason he seems so content at Tennessee.

Is this what we expected out of Hopson? I guess I had high expectations but he has not been that good yet...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

2. Asheville is awful.

Gotta agree with all of those points...

UNCA is one of the worst teams i've ever seen play basketball. Big Wayne will find his game and you're right about Prince, he just doesn't do much offensively to take up that many minutes.

Does anyone think this 10 or 11 man rotation will work effectively. I would personally like to see it maybe come down to a solid 9 man rotation. It just seems like the players are having a hard time getting in the flow of the game before they are subbed out.

Is this what we expected out of Hopson? I guess I had high expectations but he has not been that good yet...

He's been solid offensively. His defense has been lacking, but it will improve. In high school the kid didn't really have to try on the defensive end. Now he's playing bigger, faster opponents. He'll stop watching the ball being passed around him and start paying more attention to his man as the season wears on.

Is this what we expected out of Hopson?
On my behalf, yes. He's a very good prospect. However, as I said about 1,466 times in the offseason, he's not a one and done type talent. He's not the only freshman having issues. Check out the numbers for Tyreke Evans and Demar DeRozan.

Gotta agree with all of those points...

UNCA is one of the worst teams i've ever seen play basketball. Big Wayne will find his game and you're right about Prince, he just doesn't do much offensively to take up that many minutes.

Does anyone think this 10 or 11 man rotation will work effectively. I would personally like to see it maybe come down to a solid 9 man rotation. It just seems like the players are having a hard time getting in the flow of the game before they are subbed out.

Pearl is using a 10 man rotation plus 1 Pearl. Not counting Pearl, I just don't see who you could completely cut from the rotation. None of your #5 men will get cut. Prince will not get cut form the rotation. He's second on the team in scoring. Woolridge maybe if Tatum and Hopson starts shooting a better percentage from the 3.

Hat do you feel if Tabb keeps improving his level of play and Bobby stays consistent in not turning the ball over that we will be better than last year at PG going into the SEC tourney and NCAA tourney?

On my behalf, yes. He's a very good prospect. However, as I said about 1,466 times in the offseason, he's not a one and done type talent. He's not the only freshman having issues. Check out the numbers for Tyreke Evans and Demar DeRozan.

This class was nowhere near the talent of last year or the year before.

Hat do you feel if Tabb keeps improving his level of play and Bobby stays consistent in not turning the ball over that we will be better than last year at PG going into the SEC tourney and NCAA tourney?
Yes, because Ramar was wildly inconsistent and Jordan Howell just flat couldn't play.

This class was nowhere near the talent of last year or the year before.
The best way to quantify that is that the chasm in those groups is the difference between Greg Oden and OJ Mayo as opposed to BJ Mullens and Demar DeRozan.

The best way to quantify that is that the difference in those groups is the difference between Greg Oden and OJ Mayo as opposed to BJ Mullens and Demar DeRozan.

Yeah. I was discussing with my roommate yesterday (an Ohio State fan) how BJ Mullens wouldn't be a top 10 player in either of last years classes. Nowhere near, in fact.

The best way to quantify that is that the chasm in those groups is the difference between Greg Oden and OJ Mayo as opposed to BJ Mullens and Demar DeRozan.

Hell, the 2nd tier was even spectacular. Blake Griffin may be the #1 pick overall this year.

Nice job. Chism concerns me as well.Certainly not on last years pace, of course I suppose it's too early to expect that.

Yeah - I love watching Hopson shoot. Even his mid-range shots are rainbows. Way better than JP Prince's shots that have no arc what-so-ever on them.

VN Store

Back