The Runner's thread

if you want to go faster try including some intervals in one of your runs.

The problem with doing intervals at this point in my training is that I'm nowhere near my potential from just more mileage. My MWF runs all include some big long hills which is all the speed training I think I need/can handle at this point, especially with as much as I'm going to be increasing my mileage. Once I get my base up to 25 mpw, I'm going to start adding some different speedwork, but I'm going to stick with my hills for now.

Did 5.5 last night on a treadmill in 52:10, 9:28 pace, incline at 2. I will never do my long run on the treadmill again, that was pure torture.

Weekly Total: 11.36 miles

Last edited:
The problem with doing intervals at this point in my training is that I'm nowhere near my potential from just more mileage. My MWF runs all include some big long hills which is all the speed training I think I need/can handle at this point, especially with as much as I'm going to be increasing my mileage. Once I get my base up to 25 mpw, I'm going to start adding some different speedwork, but I'm going to stick with my hills for now.

Did 5.5 last night on a treadmill in 52:10, 9:28 pace, incline at 2. I will never do my long run on the treadmill again, that was pure torture.

Weekly Total: 11.36 miles

that may work but remember there is a big difference between hill intervals and speed intervals. You might be surprised at the gains by having one 30-40 interval run vs. 2 recovery runs once you get your base mileage.

jguy2 - awesome work on being consistent with running and losing some weight. The influence of body weight on running is very substantial - consider this - the top 10 male marathoners average 119 lbs!! Also, intervals are your friend but from what you've provided hills will provide the same benefit. Just remember, same pace up the hill, not same effort.

5 COLD miles yesterday at 7:55 pace, with some tough hills. If my dog wasn't about to eat the house due to lack of exercise, I might have stayed in. Glad she encouraged me!

2.75 miles in 27:09 today back on my usual hills. Time included stopping to pick up after my dog and waiting on traffic a couple of times, so I still made pretty good time for me on that route.

5.2 miles today, 43ish minutes. Got some sort of pain/cramp just below my left ribcage around mile 4. I've gotten cramps on the right side of my core before, but never my left. It was weird, but I fought through it and it subsided. Definitely slowed me down though.

5.2 miles today, 43ish minutes. Got some sort of pain/cramp just below my left ribcage around mile 4. I've gotten cramps on the right side of my core before, but never my left. It was weird, but I fought through it and it subsided. Definitely slowed me down though.

No joke...next time you get a side cramp while running doing a somersault (forward roll) and it will immediately go away.

No joke...next time you get a side cramp while running doing a somersault (forward roll) and it will immediately go away.

Haha, what? For real?

I'm definitely intrigued. Does this really work?

I think what the biggest deal was I waited until around 7pm to go for the run and all I had eaten beforehand was about 10-12 tortilla chips for the whole day. But I do occasionally get cramps/side stitches so I want to know if this really works. On the other side, I'm not extremely coordinated other than moving laterally, so I might kill myself attempting a somersault after running four miles.

Give it a shot. You can either suffer through or look like an idiot momentarily but then be pain free. Your choice. Report back.

First recovery day. I was planning on a quick 1.5 miler, then a dog decided to try to get to my dog. I'm sure I looked like a wild man the next few minutes waving my arms, yelling, and chasing the dog to try to run it off but it was persistent. I finally gave up on the run and started walking back, so it decides to walk behind us about 20 yards. Then I turned around and started sprinting at it and I finally managed to chase it off. After that I got to finish my run.

So to recap, first recovery run turned into closer to a two miler with some fartleks involving chasing a dog off.

Weekly Total: 4.5 miles

Need some advice...

My wife runs marathons. I don't run at all. As an anniversary gift, she wants me to run with her in a marathon in Nashville in April. This is a really cheap gift, so I agreed.

I need training and equipment advice. I'm 6'1" 182. I'm in pretty good shape for mid 30s. Workout regularly. I stay around 11% bf. I do next to nothing in cardiovascular training though.

Thanks in advance. My goal is to simply finish.

Need some advice...

My wife runs marathons. I don't run at all. As an anniversary gift, she wants me to run with her in a marathon in Nashville in April. This is a really cheap gift, so I agreed.

I need training and equipment advice. I'm 6'1" 182. I'm in pretty good shape for mid 30s. Workout regularly. I stay around 11% bf. I do next to nothing in cardiovascular training though.

probably the simplest and easiest plan to follow. tough to go from no running to a marathon but it can be done if you're committed.

Hal Higdon Training Programs

go to a running store like Fleet Feet for shoes. they will help you get the right shoes.

probably the simplest and easiest plan to follow. tough to go from no running to a marathon but it can be done if you're committed.

Hal Higdon Training Programs

go to a running store like Fleet Feet for shoes. they will help you get the right shoes.

Thanks! I printed that out. Sounds pretty reasonable. I'm going on my first run Fri eve. All outside. Can't do treadmills.

I've never heard of Fleet Feet. I've tried on some Nike, Asics, Saucony, NB, and Mizuno. So far I like the Mizunos the best.

Need some advice...

Wow, that's a large task, but if your goal is to simply finish you should be ok. Based off the stats you posted you are in reasonable shape to handle the endeavor. As the previous poster said, go to fleetfeet or the runner's market and get fitted properly for shoes. You may pay a little more in a specialty store but it's worth it. I would also recommend finding a group for your long runs to make those more manageable. Enjoy the ride, you're going to learn some things about yourself over the next 16-20 weeks.

VN Store

Back