The QB situation (merged)

How does the best qb on the team have the worst stats on the team of any qb that played? He had better stats if you consider him a rb rather than a qb, because last i checked qb's need to be able to throw it not just run the ball or hand off. JG had better freshman stats than your savior dobbs.

Look. I wanted Guarantano to be great. I hyped him all summer last year. I also thought he could be better than Dobbs because it looked like he had better physical tools.

And then I finally watched him play. Look I don't care about stats. They are not always accurate representations of what happened in the game. Based on what I saw, Guarantano looked terrible. He had terrible presence in the pocket. He lacked awareness of pressure. He was not elusive at all. And his mobility and speed were vastly overrated.

I see little to no hope he becomes great. And for the record, Guarantano was a 20 year old redshirt freshmen last year while Dobbs was a 18 year old true freshmen in 2013. Silly to compare their stats. Guarantano was 14 months older than Dobbs when he started playing and he also had a year in the system while Dobbs showed up the summer of his freshmen year.

A more appropriate comparison is 2014 Dobbs to 2017 Guarantano if you consider experience in the system and age. And we both know there is no comparison between Dobbs in 2014 and Guarantano in 2017.

Reactions: 3 people
Which would you rather have:

1) 59.5% completion rate, 5.7 yards per attempt, 2 TDs and 6 INTs, or

2) 61.9% completion rate, 7.2 yards per attempt, 4 TDs and 2 INTs

#1 was Dobbs' freshman year and #2 was Guarantano.

Calm down and let's see what a good coaching staff can do.

Once again that's a silly comparison. Dobbs was a 18 year old true freshmen in 2013 who arrived in the summer. Guarantano was a 20 year old redshirt freshmen last year with a year in the system.

Its incredibly disingenuous to compare the two. There is a huge difference for QBs between being a true freshmen and a redshirt freshmen.

A more appropriate comparison is 2014 Dobbs to 2017 Guarantano. Both guys had 1 year in the system. With that said, redshirt freshmen Jarrett Guarantano was still 2 months older than sophomore year Josh Dobbs.

Reactions: 1 person
You're using drunk golf rules logic.

"I hit the ball on the green 35 feet from the pin! HOLE IN ONE!"

"Omg I drove it straight! PGA tour here I come!"

"JG completed 60% of his passes and no touchdowns in 4 games! GREATNESS!"

D1 SEC football is too fast for him. Factor in he has lead legs and his dual threat title falls flat, similiar to how he takes sacks.

That's not what I'm saying at all. You just want to make JG look worse than he actually played.

The four starts "with no tds" as you like to put it actually were good performances by JG.

First start 11/18, four red zone drives and a chance to win on a dropped td.

Second start. ALABAMA NATIONAL CHMAPIONS. 9/16 but I guess he should have scored a bunch on them.

Third start 18/23 78% passing and 26 points vs a SEC bowl team. But I guess 78% and 26 points is a bad qb performance because Chandler scored on drives JG lead.

Fourth start vs a bowl team in SM. 9/13 for 69 and HE DIDN"T FINISH THE GAME.

So 9 win SEC team 4 red zone drives with a dropped td.
NC Alabama 9/16

SEC bowl team UK. 18/23 78% 26 points

USM bowl team, didn't finish game 69% passing when he left. WM came in and was 1/8 vs the same team.

You are holding missing half a game and a game against the NC against him.

He played well the four games you keep crying about.

In also not optimistic about Jarrett Guarantano. He showed nothing last year. As others have stated he flashed no potential. Yes the oline was bad but even Will McBride flashed more potential in one game than Guarantano.

Will McBride is the best QB on the roster.

This is just idiotic. What did McBride show? 42.5% for 3.8 ypa.

How is that the best "qb" on the roster?:crazy:

He may be a decent slot wr or rb.

Seeing comments in this thread clearly show that some just really dont understand the true benefits of good coaching. Something JG has never had. But whatever.

Reactions: 3 people
I see little to no hope he becomes great. And for the record, Guarantano was a 20 year old redshirt freshmen last year while Dobbs was a 18 year old true freshmen in 2013. Silly to compare their stats. Guarantano was 14 months older than Dobbs when he started playing and he also had a year in the system while Dobbs showed up the summer of his freshmen year.

A more appropriate comparison is 2014 Dobbs to 2017 Guarantano if you consider experience in the system and age. And we both know there is no comparison between Dobbs in 2014 and Guarantano in 2017.

ok...here you go:

1) 63.3% completion rate, 6.8 yards per attempt, 9 TDs and 6 INTs, or

#1 is Dobbs as a sophmore and #2 is Guarantano as a freshman.

"No comparison"...hardly a true statement. Try again.

Reactions: 10 people
Once again that's a silly comparison. Dobbs was a 18 year old true freshmen in 2013 who arrived in the summer. Guarantano was a 20 year old redshirt freshmen last year with a year in the system.

Its incredibly disingenuous to compare the two. There is a huge difference for QBs between being a true freshmen and a redshirt freshmen.

A more appropriate comparison is 2014 Dobbs to 2017 Guarantano. Both guys had 1 year in the system. With that said, redshirt freshmen Jarrett Guarantano was still 2 months older than sophomore year Josh Dobbs.
No. It is incredibly disingenuous to say that a qb that has not proven he can even complete 50% of his passes at this level is a better qb than the statistical leader on the team. And when you compare the level of competition it isnt even close. You are basing your decision based on what that you saw? He held the ball too long and took too many sacks. Both of those are coachable errors. There are so many holes in your analysis here it is laughable.

Reactions: 4 people
I get that it's fun to ponder these things in the off season. But, we do have lots of people ready to throw in the towel too early on players and the team each year.

"I think he sucks and is not the answer for our Vols." I think this is a ridiculous statement. He Sucks? Patience is not your forte. My guess is that both JG and Dormandy could have succeeded with better coaching, and more reps for JG. But, once the real game started, neither looked even close to prepared. And, it is fair to say that Dobbs looked terrible early on. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door.
JG with more experience and good coaching has a high upside.

Age has nothing to do with this. JGs completeion % and yards per attempt were better tha Dobbs JR season. Thats with Dobbs having 3 years in the system. Oh an thats with Dobbs having, Marshall Faulk, Calvin Johnson and AJ green on offense. Remember?

JG had Kelly. Thats it. Our offense last year had basically 1 player who could be counted on every week. Kind of hard when your best WR is your RB and virtually no other WR can even get open.

You people are clueless.

Reactions: 4 people
That's not what I'm saying at all. You just want to make JG look worse than he actually played.

The four starts "with no tds" as you like to put it actually were good performances by JG.

First start 11/18, four red zone drives and a chance to win on a dropped td.

Second start. ALABAMA NATIONAL CHMAPIONS. 9/16 but I guess he should have scored a bunch on them.

Third start 18/23 78% passing and 26 points vs a SEC bowl team. But I guess 78% and 26 points is a bad qb performance because Chandler scored on drives JG lead.

Fourth start vs a bowl team in SM. 9/13 for 69 and HE DIDN"T FINISH THE GAME.

So 9 win SEC team 4 red zone drives with a dropped td.
NC Alabama 9/16

SEC bowl team UK. 18/23 78% 26 points

USM bowl team, didn't finish game 69% passing when he left. WM came in and was 1/8 vs the same team.

You are holding missing half a game and a game against the NC against him.

He played well the four games you keep crying about.

This is just idiotic. What did McBride show? 42.5% for 3.8 ypa.

How is that the best "qb" on the roster?:crazy:

He may be a decent slot wr or rb.

Horseshoes and hand grenades..

hshg1.jpg

I wanted JG to be good, but he wasn't/isn't. The game is too fast for him. He scrambles like my 86 year old grandma climbs steps.

I'm holding out he can get coached up..but I'm not holding my breath. I fear the sudden surge in grad transfer QB's pretty much shows how the new coaching staff evaluated JG.

Reactions: 2 people
Tn has to fix the unsexy problem of the offensive line deficiency first. No transfer of sane mind would want to come here and run for his life behind Smith and the four dwarves. Guarantano becoming the next Dobbs is a beautiful idea, but catching lightning in a bottle again so soon seems unlikely.

The same could be said about how trent dilfer called JG the prototype SEC QB, how he could make all the throws, and he has the size and speed.

He does and Dilfer wasn't paid to say it like Simms was paid by the Shrout family. Of course Simms is going to hype someone he has a financial interest in.

hshg1.jpg

I wanted JG to be good, but he wasn't/isn't. The game is too fast for him. He scrambles like my 86 year old grandma climbs steps.

I'm holding out he can get coached up..but I'm not holding my breath. I fear the sudden surge in grad transfer QB's pretty much shows how the new coaching staff evaluated JG.
Are you kidding? When the game is too fast for a qb they lead the league in int's (dormady) when they hold the ball too long and take a ton of sacks it means they have no faith in either the line or the recievers. There is nothing in JG'S play or stats that suggest he cant be a qb at the d1 level.

I'm not sold on JG either, but I'm going to be optimistic because we now have a much better OC and OL coach.....this is enough, for me, to at least be opened minded.

ok...here you go:

1) 63.3% completion rate, 6.8 yards per attempt, 9 TDs and 6 INTs, or

#1 is Dobbs as a sophmore and #2 is Guarantano as a freshman.

"No comparison"...hardly a true statement. Try again.

If you think the guy who played against Alabama in 2014 and led the epic comeback over South Carolina is comparable to the guy who didn't win a single game is comprable then so be it.

And its disingenuous that you didn't include the rushing stats. Its not like JG wasn't touted as a dual-threat QB during the recruiting cycle. And now y'all are pretending like rushing is irrelevant to his play.

I wish Guarantano was as good as those pretty nice passing stats suggest. But I saw nothing from him while watching the games to think he will develop into a good player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These QB discussions blow my mind. JG has plenty to work on and may or may not start next year, but it was very obvious to me that he can make SEC throws. No way you can write the guy off after his freshman year playing behind a garbage o-line.

Reactions: 7 people

hshg1.jpg

He is a good passer.

We don't know about his scrambling with the line and injury. Even if he can't scramble he has an elite arm and posted good passing stats.

Well the fact they will only bring a gt in the fall, if at all, and blueshirt him means they are confident in JG. Any gt won't be here for spring. They may decide they don't even need one if WM looks like a capable backup.

They aren't bringing in a gt in the spring to compete. Period. They have offered some blueshirts, meaning the gt qbs are not a high priority.

He had a pretty good completion ratio with a 2 second drop and pass, thanks to the Matadors of old last year. New OL might get him 3 full seconds and he could be even better.

And its disingenuous that you didn't include the rushing stats. Its not like JG wasn't touted as a dual-threat QB during the recruiting cycle. And now y'all are pretending like rushing is irrelevant to his play.

What is the role of a QB? Only in the triple option or a spread based attack is rushing a major factor in a qb's statistics. Because we all can name the top 3 rushing qb's in nfl history right? No? How about top 3 in passing yards? Most casual fans can name three of the top 5 passing yards qbs.

Seeing comments in this thread clearly show that some just really dont understand the true benefits of good coaching. Something JG has never had. But whatever.

No. We understand the benefits of better coaching. Guarantano just never flashed much talent. Plus the fact he's so slow and has such bad instincts in the pocket is what bothers me.

I can't excuse how lost he looked reacting to pressure. That is natural instincts kick in. He showed no elusiveness, awareness of pressure, or explosiveness.

He looked like a statue in the pocket.

No. We understand the benefits of better coaching. Guarantano just never flashed much talent. Plus the fact he's so slow and has such bad instincts in the pocket is what bothers me.

I can't excuse how lost he looked reacting to pressure. That is natural instincts kick in. He showed no elusiveness, awareness of pressure, or explosiveness.

He looked like a statue in the pocket.

He was hurt the last month of the season.

I'm very concerned with our QB situation, they are okay at best. The OL needs to beefing up more so they can hold the line better. WR's need some "stick em" to reduce the numbers of dropped passes. Oh yeah GBO

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These QB discussions blow my mind. JG has plenty to work on and may or may not start next year, but it was very obvious to me that he can make SEC throws. No way you can write the guy off after his freshman year playing behind a garbage o-line.

I can't get over the poor instincts. When things break down he looks like he's running in sand. He lacks the natural instincts Dobbs had when things broke down. Will McBride showed me more in terms of pure instincts when it came to reaction time than Guarantano.

Once again I hope y'all are right cause I want the kid to succeed. But he gave me no hope with his play last year.

VN Store

Back