The Process

Michigan had a good time to recruit in meantime when Ohio St scrutinized by NCAA. Now that the smoke is clearing Ohio kids will go back to Ohio St and Michigan kids to Michigan. That favors Buckeyes as more talent across state not to mention splitting instate kids with Spartans is more likely than Cincinnati or Ohio Bobcats.

Michigan had a good time to recruit in meantime when Ohio St scrutinized by NCAA. Now that the smoke is clearing Ohio kids will go back to Ohio St and Michigan kids to Michigan. That favors Buckeyes as more talent across state not to mention splitting instate kids with Spartans is more likely than Cincinnati or Ohio Bobcats.

Ding ding ding!

Up north it's really Ohio State or Michigan for big time schools. Look at what schools are around Tennessee.

Yeah but they would've destroyed us and still probably been 7-5.

not sure they would have destroyed us - they may have beat us but I don't buy them destroying us last year

they didnt play anybody on that schedule

games against top 5 teams - 0

games against top 10 teams - 0

games against top 15 teams - 1 (they lost it convincingly)

games against top 20 teams - 1 (they lost it convincingly)

games against top 25 teams - 3 - they were 2-1 w/ one of those going to OT

now Hoke did a good job but there is no comparison in that schedule and what DD and UT faced last year

here is UT's breakdown

games against top 5 teams - 3

games against top 10 teams - 4

games against top 15 teams - 4

games against top 20 teams - 5

games against top 25 teams - 6

Michigan won 1 game against the top 25 in regulation and UT won 1 game against the top 25 in regulation

Brady hoke had a track record to show he can be successful in time and hired the ravens dc. It's an easy buy in. Plus up north it's always going to be oh st or Michigan. Down here you slip for as long as we have and you have a big hill to climb to get the competition out of your territory

This - without question.

When Michigan is up is when OSU is down, or when the talent level in Ohio is way up in the high schools so they can supply both. Hoke walked in with a decent roster in a mediocre league and coached them up. Dooley walked in with a bottom feeder roster, and compounded the problem with immaturity as a HC. But on the recruiting front Dools is absolutely doing it the right way IMO. He is building long term relationships with high school coaching staffs in TN and surrounding states that will be hard to break up if he gets the program back to winning. This season is key.

Michigan won a BCS game. Brady Hoke inherited a much better roster than Dooley. This year will tell us all we need to know about Dooley's coaching ability. We win and Dooley's still the coach, we don't and the next guy will inherit a very nice roster. 79 days...

This. Even if rich rod wouldn't have been fired they would have still got over the hump and won more games. Maybe not as many bc I think their team needed a fresh start. But yeah relationships are important in recruiting when the team has an off year, but winning ball games and putting players in the league will help pull recruits more than anything.

Michigan won a BCS game. Brady Hoke inherited a much better roster than Dooley. This year will tell us all we need to know about Dooley's coaching ability. We win and Dooley's still the coach, we don't and the next guy will inherit a very nice roster. 79 days...

Hoke also hasn't had to deal with the injuries to key players that we had to as well.

Ding ding ding!

Up north it's really Ohio State or Michigan for big time schools. Look at what schools are around Tennessee.

This has been my arguement for those who scrutinized DD when he was at LA Tech by saying, "If he's such a great recruiter, why couldn't he recruit there?"

Well, you try convincing a big-name kid to play in Runston, LA, surrounded by the SEC schools. Ain't happenin'.

People get tired of hearing about the process halfway through the process. It's all about being able to process what's going on with the process and understand that...it's all a process.

I foresee option B, but vote for option A. Buck Fama...no offense TW.

Gotta pull for bama over michigan... I pull for ANY SEC team when playing ooc. Except vandy...looking on ancestry.com, my significant dislike of vandy reminds me of George Cafego...we must be related.

They would not have had a "great season" if they had played Bama, LSU and Arky - I will guarantee you that

Probably the best quote in a while. In my opinion there are maybe 1-2 teams in the top 10 final rankings that would have won at least 1 game against those guys. Of course LSU and Bama ultimately won 2....

Reactions: 1 person
Gotta pull for bama over michigan... I pull for ANY SEC team when playing ooc. Except vandy...looking on ancestry.com, my significant dislike of vandy reminds me of George Cafego...we must be related.

In the end it's a wash. If Bama loses I'm glad...I hate them, but if they win, then the SEC looks stronger, which is always a plus.

Not even close to the same situations. My GOD people, wake up!

If you cant see the major flaws with your analysis then there is no reason for me to try and help you out.

Not even close to the same situations. My GOD people, wake up!

If you cant see the major flaws with your analysis then there is no reason for me to try and help you out.

With great power comes great responsibility your highness. If you cannot help to educate your subjects, you should consider vacating the throne in favor of a more beneficent ruler. :)

With great power comes great responsibility your highness. If you cannot help to educate your subjects, you should consider vacating the throne in favor of a more beneficent ruler. :)

A true King knows when the phrase "In one ear and out the other" is in play. Now kneel before me like this..! :bow2:

I'm about to go feed the homeless, rescue an old lady's cat, and help a blind man cross the street. Sorry if boredom meant checking on my beloved Vols while I was taking a dump.

The problem is that you keep taking a dump on this site. You never have anything positive to say, say you are interested in hearing other opinions, and then when you don't hear what you want, you pitch a fit and pick arguments.

Injuries derailed a season that could have ended with seven wins. I'm not saying it would have happened...just that it could have. Take on a bowl win and we match NC State's record and enter the season with momentum, right? Would we still be complaining about Dooley then?

Michigan did have an immediate turnaround, but they weren't suffering in recruiting before Hoke; they just didn't have a system that fit the talent. Tennessee didn't have talent. The challenge at Tennessee was more daunting. I'm not sure if another coach could have done more because the depth issues and lack of depth of talent were pretty severe.

Is Dooley the guy? I don't know, but I have doubts. He has another year to prove something. Would Brady Hoke or anyone else have helped us win by now? I don't know, but my guess is that we wouldn't be much better at this point. Sure, the boneheaded mistakes might have been eliminated, but we are talking about two or three losses turning into wins. That still leaves us talking about mediocre teams. Besides, Dooley is still coming into his own as a coach. This will be his sixth year as a coach, and his first year with strong talent and depth. This is his make or break season; let's sit back and watch to see what happens.

A true King knows when the phrase "In one ear and out the other" is in play. Now kneel before me like this..! :bow2:

Umm, not that kinda guy your majesty :)
Good try though.

As a royal decree, behead that previous poster and turn the head into an emoticon...will show you mean bidness

They would not have had a "great season" if they had played Bama, LSU and Arky - I will guarantee you that

Excellent point! They don't have, for the most part, the level of competition we have. Look at Ohio St, everytime they play an SEC team they get waxed but they always make them out to be the end-all. We played the #1 and #2 teams in the nation, back-to-back. Let's see someone else do that and see how they fair, particularly with mostly freshmen and sophs, and without the #1 QB and #1 receiver.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back