The Petitioners were right

Pearl is not an elite coach. Elite coaches have at least a Final Four. Elite coaches don't lose twice in the first round with another year barely beating a 15 seed then losing to the next under dog in only six years.

70.4% is ok but not great. Stop trying to use D2 stats.

Name me a list of "ok" coaches that won 70% of their D1 games over a 10 year period.

And give me a break on the elite coaches don't lose in the first round crap. The guy you dismiss as terrible, Tyndall, beat Rick Pitino in the 1st round.

In a single elimination tournament anything can happen.

Also, why not use D2 stats? Was Bruce not coaching them?

At every stop he's made, he's won, and won big. Once again, find me a guy with 10 years coaching right now who has won at higher than 70% of his games and that is only an "ok" coach. There's right at 350 coaches right now in DI. It should be easy.

Name me a list of "ok" coaches that won 70% of their D1 games over a 10 year period.

And give me a break on the elite coaches don't lose in the first round crap. The guy you dismiss as terrible, Tyndall, beat Rick Pitino in the 1st round.

In a single elimination tournament anything can happen.

Also, why not use D2 stats? Was Bruce not coaching them?

At every stop he's made, he's won, and won big. Once again, find me a guy with 10 years coaching right now who has won at higher than 70% of his games and that is only an "ok" coach. There's right at 350 coaches right now in DI. It should be easy.

Good and great are different. Mark Few 80%, Roy Williams 79 % Bill Self 75% Shaka Smart 75%. Other coaches that are considered great or elite that have won about 70% all have Final Fours and or NCs. Pearl has underachieved in the post season. I liked Pearl and he was a good coach but not elite. So is Tubby Smith elite? More years coaching. Still about the same winning percentage as Pearl. Way more post season success. He made two Sweet 16s with Tulsa in four years at the school. Back to back.

And once again I never said Tyndall is terrible. Just not a top tier choice. He would be a very average hire.

Reactions: 1 person
Pearl is a better coach than Green and you are arguing against thin air right now. GA's point apparently went way over your head.

But, as a side note: how many "elite" coaches are 0-for-6 in major conference tournaments?

I think Izzo was 0-10 at one point, but I could be wrong, just going by memory. There are a lot.

The petition wasn't a mistake because it WASN'T A COLLECTIVE EFFORT!!! Some website puts up an internet poll and 30,000 plus random surfers (including me)clicked yes :huh: This wasn't on VQ or UTSPORTS or LocalVolFans.com or PTA PBS OR NRA nothing! :scare:

Keep hearing references to Vol fans "regretting this move"...WHAT A CROCK!!! If this was a sanctioned move...WHERE'S THE FACE ON IT? Sanctioned parties...that make organized moves...ARE ORGANIZED!!...thusly there should be a talking rep of this movement...WHAT'S HIS/HER NAME? :mad:

The Vol fan that posts on this site,is basically in a sports bar and enabled to spout opinions,state facts,post links and gifs et al...all with the saving grace that we can click off anytime/any second without the consequence of making a decision for the university we pull for....embrace that reality TOLD-YOU-SO'ers and Cuonzo disciples...Daddy didn't love you back...it's not everybody else's fault! :cray:

I tried to like this post but it would let me.

Colon conspiracy colon

Good and great are different. Mark Few 80%, Roy Williams 79 % Bill Self 75% Shaka Smart 75%. Other coaches that are considered great or elite that have won about 70% all have Final Fours and or NCs. Pearl has underachieved in the post season. I liked Pearl and he was a good coach but not elite. So is Tubby Smith elite? More years coaching. Still about the same winning percentage as Pearl. Way more post season success. He made two Sweet 16s with Tulsa in four years at the school. Back to back.

And once again I never said Tyndall is terrible. Just not a top tier choice. He would be a very average hire.

So you named 0 coaches who won over 70 percent for more than 10 years that are only considered "ok" coaches. And yes, Tubby Smith is very elite. 500+ wins, NCAA champion, one of only 9 coaches in NCAA history to take 4 different teams to the NCAA tournament. That's quite a resume. It's why he's a first ballot HOFer.

So you named 0 coaches who won over 70 percent for more than 10 years that are only considered "ok" coaches. And yes, Tubby Smith is very elite. 500+ wins, NCAA champion, one of only 9 coaches in NCAA history to take 4 different teams to the NCAA tournament. That's quite a resume. It's why he's a first ballot HOFer.

Wow. If you think Tubby is elite, we have very different definitions. How many elite coaches do you think there are? 50?

Everything better than "ok" is elite to you? No wonder.

Wow. If you think Tubby is elite, we have very different definitions. How many elite coaches do you think there are? 50?

Tubby has 500 wins, a national title, and has done something that only 9 coaches have done in NCAA history. How does that not make him elite?

And "ok" was used to describe Pearl. Thus I simply wanted to hear of the coaches who've coached D1 for more than 10 years, win at least 70% of there games and are only considered "ok".

VN Store

Back