The Pessimist Thread

I think you are wrong. According to the user agreement, we are required to respond to every thread on VN.

Liked. Apparently some believe it is an obligation to respond to every thread. That or they lack reading comprehension. Probably a mix of both.

Reactions: 1 person
It's not just today's commits, it's the entire class thus far. We now have 3 spots left. Our needs are more than 3 players. I would love to get the OT, but of more pressing need is another DT and LBs. I'd also love to get another DE, even with the DE that committed today, for depth reasons, but we don't have enough spots.

DL I think is fine. Would the staff take Phillips and or Tuttle? Probably. Taking 9 guys on the DL last year(7 stick it seems), plus taking 5 more this year(even if they did not take Tuttle/Phillips) is 12 guys in just 2 years. That's a 3 deep across the front in just 2 classes.

They have taken 6 LBs in the last 2 classes so far. I do think Sapp is a need knowing that.

Richmond
Jefferson
Phillips
Tuttle
Sapp
Martin

IMO that is the list where the rest of the class comes from.

DL I think is fine. Would the staff take Phillips and or Tuttle? Probably. Taking 9 guys on the DL last year(7 stick it seems), plus taking 5 more this year(even if they did not take Tuttle/Phillips) is 12 guys in just 2 years. That's a 3 deep across the front in just 2 classes.

They have taken 6 LBs in the last 2 classes so far. I do think Sapp is a need knowing that.

Richmond
Jefferson
Phillips
Tuttle
Sapp
Martin

No Ordway?

I promise you that with each spot taken, Lebvol beats himself up with this question. We will take more than 24.

Not at all. The max is 24. When there are no back counting spots available, it is what it is. :dunno:

I think the class will be 24. Today it is 22 and IMO it's actually probably 21. For now, I think the staff takes 3 more and it's done. Now if grades/issues arise before NSD, the staff will have other options at the ready. Do I think any of the current commitments are "insurance"? I do not. Would not be surprised at all to see 21 of the 22 current commitments sign with Tennessee.

Trust should be earned. The 2014 class is a great class, but it's built around legacies so it's hard to say that's how CBJ will always recruit. I hope it is, but only time will tell. The most important thing is translating this all to the field. He needs to show steps in that direction.

Legacies who were anything but guaranteed to come to UT.

They were far from low hanging fruit.

Reactions: 3 people
I find it hard to believe that CBJ would take their commitment if he didn't see something extraordinary in each of those so-called "head scratchers." He knows where he is in rebuilding and he knows how important it is too all of us and his livelihood. In Butch Stones I trust.

Richmond
Jefferson
Phillips
Tuttle
Sapp
Martin

I disagree that the DL is fine. If this were another conference, it might be fine. I don't feel we quite have an SEC DL yet.

Legacies who were anything but guaranteed to come to UT.

They were far from low hanging fruit.

Not much in life is a guarantee, but the blood ties they had to UT made them easier sells. Harder to sell to a recruit that has no ties.

I disagree that the DL is fine. If this were another conference, it might be fine. I don't feel we quite have an SEC DL yet.

I suppose I am looking at it more of a process than some are. 12 DL guys in just 2 classes. Now if CBJ does that for the next 2 years you have 24 DL kids taken in 4 years. That is 6 players deep at all 4 DL positions. That is stacking it up recruiting wise. I think the mistake people are making is trying to build an SEC roster depth wise in just 1-2 classes. You just can't do it. That takes time and you can't overload at 1-2 positions and not address others. 2 years from now maybe CBJ can focus on taking the best available and not so much worry about positions and needs. For now, he still has to fill needs.

Reactions: 5 people
What does it mean that we've accepted the commits of so many lesser rated prospects? Have we struck out with Shy Tuttle? Drew Richmond? Any number of prospects that many on here have been drooling over? When players I haven't heard of start committing to UT(and UT accepts), I get a little alarmed. We're now at 22 commits and not all of our needs are addressed. There's still a long way to go til NSD, but have we painted ourselves into a corner? I'm not a fan of taking a young man's commit with the idea of possibly chasing him off if bigger fish come along. Why tell some of these lesser rated prospects they have a spot when those big fish are still out there? Do the coaches know we aren't going to get these bigger fish? It's worrisome IMO.

And before I set off an uproar with those that will ultimately bash me as being negative, read the thread title. You don't have to respond to every thread on VN and there is an ignore function. I'm just curious if there are others who share my concern.

Say It Ain't So...

Reactions: 2 people
It has been said already but worth saying again: None of these kids have played their senior seasons and none of us know the conditions under which these kids commit. I'm sure the coaches reserve the right to continuously evaluate many and will change their opinion on a few. A few other commits will likely have a change of heart and decommit on their own.

We are understandably a tightly-wound fan base given our lack of recent success, but we need to find something more constructive to do than beat this same ole horse to death. August cant come soon enough.

Reactions: 3 people
I suppose I am looking at it more of a process than some are. 12 DL guys in just 2 classes. Now if CBJ does that for the next 2 years you have 24 DL kids taken in 4 years. That is 6 players deep at all 4 DL positions. That is stacking it up recruiting wise. I think the mistake people are making is trying to build an SEC roster depth wise in just 1-2 classes. You just can't do it. That takes time and you can't overload at 1-2 positions and not address others. 2 years from now maybe CBJ can focus on taking the best available and not so much worry about positions and needs. For now, he still has to fill needs.

I agree that you fill needs, but I have a different opinion on what those needs are apparently.

You can build an SEC roster in 1-2 classes, but it's not easy. Saban did it so to say it can't be done is wrong.

Time will tell. Lotta 3*'s regardless of when, how or why. We did get commits from two good 5*'s. We'll have to wait to see how the commits shake out when it comes time to put the pen to the paper.

lol one minute you praise butch now you want to hang him for not getting all 4 and 5 star players wait and see what happens ok.

I would remind everyone that VN conveniently offers an ignore function if you don't like the thread content. I don't mind differing opinions, but we can keep it civil. Argue the points, don't sling insults.

So wasn't Emmanuel Moseley a 2 star when offered? Didn't VN get a bit tense over him? And didn't he virtually secure a starting spot in Spring ball...proving that just maybe Butch has a clue?

Butch said he has his own rating system and that the only evaluations that matter to him are his staff's. Trust the process until it is clear that the process doesn't work. Not blinders, just the presumption of competence until proven otherwise.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back