The Orlando Magic Thread

Bump for 2012

Orlando CEO Vander Weide resigns after 19 seasons with Magic.

This after he admitted to "calling Magic center Dwight Howard after having a couple of glasses of wine with his friends, and told Howard how much the Magic wanted to keep him in Orlando".

-----------------------------------------------

Otis Smith (Prez of Basketball Operations) told the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday that trading Howard isn't outside the realm of possibility.

"I think you have to look at everything," Smith told the Sentinel's Josh Robbins. "I don't think you can take anything out of consideration."

Per ESPN's Marc Stein, Orlando may trade Dwight Howard before December 25th.

I hope that Dwight stays so badly. I'm looking foreword to seeing him dominate in Orlando for years to come.

Orlando, you've got a problem.

Don't like SVG but Howard is out of control. He's tried to get SVG fired, Nelson traded, had one foot out the door the entire season. If you're going to give him this much control, make him the coach. No point in having a coach if the player is free to overrule him.

Would have been a hell of a title.

Deputy Marshal Dr. Shaquille O'Neal EdD GM.

And apparently he's going back to law school, so we can soon tack Esquire on to the end of that.

Apparently, the geography wasn't right for Jackson, who resides in Montana and California.

In an interview with HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel that will premiere Tuesday, Jackson said he regarded a job with the Magic as "one of the best opportunities in the game right now."

But when asked why he didn't show interest, Jackson responded, "I'm really attached to living here in the West. Orlando's a long ways away. It's — it's the other side of the country. So, you know, that's not the one for me."

As the Orlando Sentinel first reported on May 31, Vincent requested and received a meeting with Magic CEO Alex Martins after the Magic parted ways with General Manager Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy on May 21.

At that meeting, Vincent pitched a wild idea: the possibility of Jackson working with the Magic in a front-office job, perhaps as president of basketball operations. But it would have been a package deal: If Jackson came aboard, Vincent also would work in the front office and a former NBA All-Star and a Hall of Famer would work in a coaching capacity.

Magic officials never endorsed the plan in the first place and never had contact with Jackson.

The former All-Star, as the Sentinel reported on June 6, was Scottie Pippen. Pippen had played for Jackson when Jackson coached the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles.

Jackson acknowledged to Real Sports that Pippen reached out to him and tried to get him on board with Vincent's plan.

"I had a conversation with Scottie Pippen," Jackson said. "And Scottie's a person that I want to see get back into coaching and basketball. He's got a lot to offer. And he asked me if I would think about, you know, putting together a staff and coming to Orlando. So I said, 'I'll call you back in the morning and let you know.' "

That next morning, Jackson told Pippen he wasn't interested.

Phil Jackson Orlando Magic: Phil Jackson says he had no interest in joining the Orlando Magic - Orlando Sentinel

While LeBron was getting his first ring, the Orlando Magic made a hire.

Orlando Magic hire Rob Hennigan to be next general manager - The Washington Post

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Orlando Magic have hired Rob Hennigan to be the team’s new general manager.

Hennigan spent the past four seasons with Oklahoma City, including the past two seasons as the Thunder’s assistant general manager/player personnel. Prior to joining the Thunder, Hennigan spent four seasons with the San Antonio Spurs.

Only 30 yrs old.

Kind of hard not to be excited about that hire, especially compared to Smith. I'm ready for the Dwight mess to end.

VN Store

Back