The Offseason from Hell

First we suckered punched in the mouth, take a punch to the gut, and then get a kick in the balls while on the ground. Man after reading that list it gets one depressed, can't think of a time in the modern era that UT has been this low...

We got the most divided fan base that I've seen in a long long time and we're not even half way out of this....

If this list is rock bottom, then I am satisfied. Hopefully, this upcoming season will be our only bad year (hopefully still 6-6) and that every year, we should see our program rise back from the ashes. My hope is that we're atleast a competitive SEC East contender in 2012 (8-4, 9-3) and that we're a legit SEC contender in 2013 (9-3,10-2). We'll find out in a few years.

First we suckered punched in the mouth, take a punch to the gut, and then get a kick in the balls while on the ground. Man after reading that list it gets one depressed, can't think of a time in the modern era that UT has been this low...

We got the most divided fan base that I've seen in a long long time and we're not even half way out of this....

Had to be Myles Jr. and of course he acted alone:)

Ehh, crap happens....ain't nothing any of us can do about it

So when's rock bottom? Have we hit it? God, I hope so.

I hope it has passed, and its not coming this october v. Bammers. :cray:

This team will have to show a lot of fight to remain competitive in some of these games toward the late middle of the season when lack of depth will really show.

To play devil's advocate, we have had some good things happen also:

Derek Dooley is hired as Tennessee head foootball coach
Da'Rick Rogers 5 star receiver signs with UT
Justin Hunter 4 star receiver signs with UT
James Stone 4 star OL signs with UT
Rajion Neal 4 star RB signs with UT
Chuck Smith is hired to be d-line coach
Jim Chaney and Lance Thompson stay at UT
Lane Kiffin leaves Tennessee
DE Malik Jackson transfers to UT from USC
Justin Wilcox is hired as Defensive Coordinator
Peter Sirmon take graduate assistant spot
6 out of 7 Early enrollees stay at UT
UT signs 27 players

Seems like one list is 4 times as long as the other...

So when's rock bottom? Have we hit it? God, I hope so.

Keep your head up. Take a look at the 2011 schedule. We have to travel to Florida and Bama (which were likely losses at home anyway), but LSU, UGA, and SCar are all at home. We could take a significant step forward in the win column next season.

Seems like one list is 4 times as long as the other...

Yeah, but I think the good list shows how much of a wash it was losing the assistant coaches. Really, Dooley put together a nice staff and he salvaged a very good recruiting class. To me the only things that stand out on that list are Aaron Douglas leaving and the injuries. The rest don't impact us as badly as it would make it seem unless we get sanctioned for some reason.

To play devil's advocate, we have had some good things happen also:

Derek Dooley is hired as Tennessee head foootball coach
Da'Rick Rogers 5 star receiver signs with UT
Justin Hunter 4 star receiver signs with UT
James Stone 4 star OL signs with UT
Rajion Neal 4 star RB signs with UT
Chuck Smith is hired to be d-line coach
Jim Chaney and Lance Thompson stay at UT
Lane Kiffin leaves Tennessee
DE Malik Jackson transfers to UT from USC
Justin Wilcox is hired as Defensive Coordinator
Peter Sirmon take graduate assistant spot
6 out of 7 Early enrollees stay at UT
UT signs 27 players

No doubt, good things have happened too, and were clearly left off the list on purpose. For instance, they make a point to mention Ambles (presumably) decomitting, but say nothing of us adding Hunter/Rogers. But then mentions Rogers arrest. Injuries are bad this year, but I'm not sure that last year wasn't worse at this time (Jones, Moore, Rogers, Brown hip/concussions, etc. Arguable, since those weren't season ending and since DT is so thin. But likely playmakers were almost non-existent outside of Hardesty to start last year.)

Lots of bad things went on, but you could create a very similar list everytime a program that's a bit down has a coaching change. Let's see some other good things:

- Signed Brent Brewer (may turn out to be a trade up from Vinson as DB in general even though he's a SS instead. Think Teague could be a trade up at CB also.)
- Evander Wells/Walls (forgot which!) on the team (it's always good to add a guy who is immediately the fastest guy on the team. First few days of practice make it look like he can possibly contribute. Has speed and a little HS FB background.)
- Added Darr, Gooch out of nowhere. Darr will compete to punt and Gooch allows Thomas to go back to DT. Added some other transfers that might conceivably help some day, at least with scout team work. The puzzle has many, many pieces.

Edit: Rogers injury was season ending last year - forgot.

Last edited:
Since we lost to Va Tech, we've gone through everything bad imaginable. Though I'm not really too excited about the UTM game, I'm just excited to put this behind us. I didn't even read it all it was so long. Anyway, here it is, I saw it posted on TigerDroppings:
It's been bad but as the old saying goes "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger"

There are about 40 items on the list. Of those 40, about 12 refer to the coaching changes, 3 to Bryce Brown, 3 to Aaron Douglas, 3 to the bar fight, and 6 to normal recruiting happenings.

We've had some bad things, no doubt, but this list is fluffed beyond reason. Gotta add some stuff to the good list we've started. In addition to SIGNING Da'Rick Rogers, we've gotta add that he made it into school, is out of jail, and has looked good in practice. Add the same ones for Hunter, except substitute his long jumping success for the jail part..lol. Add about twelve reasons we like our new staff, including 3 or 4 lines referring to guys that we didn't want who weren't hired and the lists start looking similar.

The BM/MW injuries are legit (Kings is fluff), some of the recruiting losses hurt (Copeland, Taylor), and it hurt to lose Douglas and BB. Beyond that, the list just says we had a coaching change and we all knew that.

Last edited:
Only things that could top this off are NCAA sanctions, a losing season, and Fulmer hired as AD.

VN Store

Back