The Official UGA @ Tennessee Series Thread (Fri. March 29 6:30PM EST SEC NET+) (Sat. March 30 5PM EST SEC NETWORK) (Sun. March 31 2PM EST SEC NETWORK)

How do they say Dong in French?

For our French speaking Vol fans.

Comme premier frappeur des siens, Robin Villeneuve parfait à la plaque!

Les nôtres
Les nôtres dans les universités et collèges américains

Texte et recherches de Jacques Lanciault

View attachment 630012

Mirabel, Québec, le 26 mars 2024 - Situation spéciale ce soir. Le frappeur de puissance Robin Villeneuve occupait le premier rang du rôle offensif de son équipe de baseball de l'Université du Tennessee…

Et le jeune homme de Gatineau a accompli la mission qui lui avait été confiée. En effet, il a réussi trois coups sûrs en trois présences dans le rectangle du frappeur!

L'athlète de 20 ans a mis la balle en lieu sûr dès la première manche… et deux frappeurs plus tard, il s'amenait au marbre avec le premier point du match.

Après avoir réussi un simple en troisième manche, Villeneuve a récidivé à la cinquième reprise… croisant le marbre pour la deuxième fois de la rencontre sur le coup de circuit du coéquipier le suivant dans le rectangle du frappeur.

Au final, la troupe du Tennessee a remporté la victoire au compte de 11 à 1 aux dépens de leurs rivaux de l'Université Tennessee Tech, alors que le baseballeur québécois a ramené un dossier de 3-en-3 avec deux points comptés.

Pour voir la liste des Softballeuses et baseballeurs de chez nous au sein de la NCAA, NAIA et NJCAA en 2024, cliquez sur ce lien.

Pour voir Les statistiques des nôtres dans les universités et les collèges - saison 2024, cliquez sur ce lien.

Photo ci-dessus : Fort de trois coups sûrs en autant de tentatives ce soir, le baseballeur québécois Robin Villeneuve a haussé sa moyenne au bâton à 0,356 avec son équipe de première division de la NCAA!
Bravo, Villeneuve!

Allez, les Oranges!
[The color. From "Allez les Blues" (Go Blues!) in French soccer]

Qui ne saute pas n’est pas Tennessean!
If you're not jumping your not a Tennessean

On a gagné!
We [have] won!

Un coup de circuit.
Home run.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Georgia Bulldogs
(21-4) Overall (3-3) SEC

View attachment 629887
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(22-4) Overall (3-3) SEC
View attachment 629888
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 5/5 Tennessee caps off its current homestand with another conference series against a ranked foe this weekend as No. 22 Georgia visits Lindsey Nelson Stadium for an eastern division battle. The Vols notched their first SEC series victory of the year by winning two of three games against No. 17 Ole Miss last weekend in Knoxville and will look to continue their stellar play at home.

BROADCAST INFO

Friday's series opener will be streamed online via SEC Network+ and the ESPN app as Will Boling (PxP) and VFL Cody Hawn (analyst) call the action. The final two games of the series will be televised on the SEC Network with Dave Neal (PxP) and Lance Cormier (analyst) on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson call the action all series long on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). UT basketball VFL Steve Hamer will join Wilkerson on the call for Friday night's series opener. A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS

GAME 1: RHP AJ Causey (5-0, 1.91 ERA) vs. LHP Charlie Goldstein (3-0, 5.16 ERA)
GAME 2: RHP Drew Beam (3-1, 3.34 ERA) vs. RHP Leighton Finley (2-1, 3.75 ERA)
GAME 3: TBD vs. RHP Christian Mracna (3-1, 3.57 ERA)

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: Vols lead, 127-121
in Knoxville: Vols lead, 71-50
in Athens: Bulldogs lead, 71-53
at Neutral Sites: Vols lead, 3-0
Last Meeting: L, 9-4 – May 7, 2023 in Athens

Tennessee is 8-7 against Georgia under head coach Tony Vitello (2018-pres.) and has won three of the five series in that span, but neither side has swept the other in that time. The Bulldogs won last year's series in Athens after dropping the series opener, but the Vols got the better of their SEC East counterpart the last time the two programs met in Knoxville, winning two of three games in 2022.

NOTABLE

Beware of the Long Ball
This weekend's series will pit the nation's top two home run hitting teams against one another, as Georgia enters the weekend with an NCAA-leading 74 long balls while Tennessee ranks second with 68.

Both teams are averaging over 2.6 homers per game and boast multiple players with double-digit bombs this season. UGA's Charlie Condon leads the nation with 17 four baggers this year.

Home Run Record Within Reach
Junior slugger Blake Burke enters this weekend just one home run shy of tying Luc Lipcius' program record of 40 (2017-22). The California native hit his ninth of the year in Tuesday's midweek win over Tennessee Tech, which moved him into a tie for second in program history with Evan Russell (2018-22).

Fellow junior Christian Moore is hot on Burke's heels with 37 career homers after hitting three last week and is currently tied for fifth in UT history with Doug Hecker (1990-92).

Feeling Good at Home
UT has been extremely hard to beat at home inside the friendly confines of Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The Vols enter this weekend's series with a 19-1 record when playing in Knoxville this year and are 133-22 overall at home since the start of the 2020 season.

Freshman Phenom
Freshman infielder Dean Curley is having an incredible debut season for the Big Orange, batting .308 with a 1.167 OPS and ranking tied for second on the team with 26 RBIs. Curley's eight home runs this season are tied for the SEC lead and third nationally among freshmen. He also ranks second among freshmen in the SEC in RBIs, trailing only Texas A&M's Gavin Grahovac, who has 31.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Georgia Bulldogs (21-4, 3-3 SEC)
  • Head Coach: Wes Johnson (1st season)
  • 2023 Record: 29-27 (11-19 SEC)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • Rankings: D1Baseball – NR | USA Today – 24 | Baseball America – 24 | NCBWA – 22 | Perfect Game – NR
  • 2024 SEC Preseason Poll: 6th in Eastern Division
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (1)
    • Charlie Condon (2nd Team)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Charlie Condon (.517)
    • Runs: Charlie Condon (39)
    • Hits: Charlie Condon (46)
    • Home Runs: Charlie Condon (17)
    • RBI: Charlie Condon (37)
    • Stolen Bases: Five tied (2)
    • Wins: Goldstein & Mracna (3)
    • Saves: Brian Zeldin (4)
    • ERA (min. 10 IP): Brian Zeldin (1.32)
    • WHIP (min. 10 IP): Brian Zeldin (1.02)
    • Innings Pitched: Leighton Finley (24.0)
    • Strikeouts: Christian Mracna (31)

ON DECK

The Vols will not play a midweek game next week and will travel to Auburn next weekend for a matchup against the Tigers down on the Plains.

Good to see Tennessee ahead in an SEC baseball series and wins over Georgia in any sport always aids recruiting in the Peach State.

Excerpts below are from 11 Fantastic French Phrases for Baseball Terms
-------------------------
"During their years in Montreal, Expos games were broadcast in both English and French, with Jacques Doucet and Claude Raymond serving as the French-language team. To do so, they had to translate the lexicon of the historically American game into French. Some words were easy enough, but for quirkier terms they had to search for the right French phrase."

1. French Term: Balle papillon
Means: knuckleball
"Papillon" means butterfly, a reference to the knuckleball's fluttery movement.

2. French Term: Cercle d'attente
Means: On-deck circle
Literally translates to "waiting circle," which makes even more sense than our English term.

3. French Term: Changement de vitesse
Means: Changeup
"Changement" means "change" but the whole phrase actually translates directly to mean "shift." It's unclear how to reference a "shift" on the field in French.

4. French Term: Balle cassante
Means: Breaking ball
In French, the ball is not "breaking" but "brittle."

5. French Term: But volé
Means: Stolen base
"But" actually means "purpose" but it can also be used to mean a "goal" or "target', which is how it came to be the French word for "base."

6. French Term: Arrêt-court
Means: Shortstop
This actually says "stop-short" in French.

7. French Term: Coup sûr
Means: Hit
"Coup" is a widely used action word, meaning "blow" or "knock" or even "hit." "Sûr" means safe.

8. French Term: Flèche
Means: Line Drive
The direct translation means "arrow," which is a beautifully evocative and accurate description.

9. French Term: Mauvais lancer
Means: Wild pitch
Or, "bad throw," which it is.

10. French Term: Retrait and retrait sur trois prises
Means: Out and strikeout
"Retrait" is a withdrawal and "trois prises" is "three taken."

11. French Term: Vol au sol
Means: Shoestring catch
These last-second catches, just before the ball hits the grass, are what the French call a "ground flight."
Awesome post. Hat's off, Monsieur. I might start using this next time I discuss baseball....just to see if they're listening 😉

Excerpts below are from 11 Fantastic French Phrases for Baseball Terms
-------------------------
"During their years in Montreal, Expos games were broadcast in both English and French, with Jacques Doucet and Claude Raymond serving as the French-language team. To do so, they had to translate the lexicon of the historically American game into French. Some words were easy enough, but for quirkier terms they had to search for the right French phrase."

1. French Term: Butterfly ball
Means: knuckleball
"Papillon" means butterfly, a reference to the knuckleball's fluttery movement.

2. French Term: Waiting circle
Means: On-deck circle
Literally translates to "waiting circle," which makes even more sense than our English term.

3. French Term: Gear Shift
Means: Changeup
"Change" means "change" but the whole phrase actually translates directly to mean "shift." It's unclear how to refer to a "shift" on the field in French.

4. French Term: Breaking ball
Means: Breaking ball
In French, the ball is not "breaking" but "brittle."

5. French Term: Stolen goal
Means: Stolen base
"But" actually means "purpose" but it can also be used to mean a "goal" or "target', which is how it came to be the French word for "base."

6. French Term: Shortstop
Means: Shortstop
This actually says "stop-short" in French.

7. French Term: Sure Shot
Means: Hit
“Blow” is a widely used action word, meaning “blow” or “knock” or even “hit.” “Safe” means safe.

8. French Term: Arrow
Means: Line Drive
The direct translation means "arrow," which is a beautifully evocative and accurate description.

9. French Term: Bad throw
Means: Wild pitch
Or, “bad throw,” which it is.

10. French Term: Withdrawal and withdrawal on three takes
Means: Out and strikeout
“Retrait” is a withdrawal and “trois prizes” is “three taken.”

11. French Term: Ground flight
Means: Shoestring catch
These last-second catches, just before the ball hits the grass, are what the French call a "ground flight."
This is brilliant, great find.

How do they say Dong in French?

For our French speaking Vol fans.

Comme premier frappeur des siens, Robin Villeneuve parfait à la plaque!

Les nôtres
Les nôtres dans les universités et collèges américains

Texte et recherches de Jacques Lanciault

View attachment 630012

Mirabel, Québec, le 26 mars 2024 - Situation spéciale ce soir. Le frappeur de puissance Robin Villeneuve occupait le premier rang du rôle offensif de son équipe de baseball de l'Université du Tennessee…

Et le jeune homme de Gatineau a accompli la mission qui lui avait été confiée. En effet, il a réussi trois coups sûrs en trois présences dans le rectangle du frappeur!

L'athlète de 20 ans a mis la balle en lieu sûr dès la première manche… et deux frappeurs plus tard, il s'amenait au marbre avec le premier point du match.

Après avoir réussi un simple en troisième manche, Villeneuve a récidivé à la cinquième reprise… croisant le marbre pour la deuxième fois de la rencontre sur le coup de circuit du coéquipier le suivant dans le rectangle du frappeur.

Au final, la troupe du Tennessee a remporté la victoire au compte de 11 à 1 aux dépens de leurs rivaux de l'Université Tennessee Tech, alors que le baseballeur québécois a ramené un dossier de 3-en-3 avec deux points comptés.

Pour voir la liste des Softballeuses et baseballeurs de chez nous au sein de la NCAA, NAIA et NJCAA en 2024, cliquez sur ce lien.

Pour voir Les statistiques des nôtres dans les universités et les collèges - saison 2024, cliquez sur ce lien.

Photo ci-dessus : Fort de trois coups sûrs en autant de tentatives ce soir, le baseballeur québécois Robin Villeneuve a haussé sa moyenne au bâton à 0,356 avec son équipe de première division de la NCAA!
To translate "Dong" I suppose you would need a slang word that preserves the comic top-spin of "Dong." We'll need to confer with @BruisedOrange, but I would choose a word that means a "bat" or "stick," but also can mean a "dong" in slang. And use an adjective to add the top spin.

Batte énorme
enormous bat

Grande baton oscillante
big swinging stick

Or maybe dispense with the bat pun, and just leverage the comedy already present in a great French slang term:

cyclope
Cyclops

Last edited:
To translate "Dong" I suppose you would need a slang word for "penis" that preserves the comic top-spin of "Dong." We'll need to confer with @BruisedOrange, but I would choose a word that means a "bat" or "stick," but also can mean a "penis" in slang. And use an adjective to add the top spin.

Verge magique
magic rod

Batte énorme
enormous bat

Grande baton oscillante
big swinging stick

Or maybe dispense with the bat pun, and just leverage the comedy already present in a great French slang term for penis:

le cyclope
the Cyclops
Lololol.

How about this, what do you think?

IMG_7216.jpeg

To translate "Dong" I suppose you would need a slang word for "penis" that preserves the comic top-spin of "Dong." We'll need to confer with @BruisedOrange, but I would choose a word that means a "bat" or "stick," but also a "penis" in slang.

verge magique
magic rod

batte énorme
enormous bat

Grande baton oscillante
big swinging stick

Or maybe dispense with the bat pun and just leverage the comedy already present in a French slang term for penis:

le cyclope
the cyclops
🤵‍♂️Well, a proud moment for me, and a lasting one, as it is now forever enshrined on the internet.

I have been "conferred to" for a slang word for penis.

🥲 I want to take this moment to thank my parents, my grandmothers, my Sunday School teachers, my past students for whom I always hoped to be a good role model...

----------------------------------
How painfully humiliating to now have to confess that I always thought the etymology of "dong" was an allusion to ringing a bell.

Hurts...
😖
like taking one in the clappers.

Last edited:
🤵‍♂️Well, a proud moment for me, and a lasting one, as it is now forever enshrined on the internet.

I have been "conferred to" for a slang word for penis.

🥲I want to take this moment to thank my parents, my grandmothers, my Sunday School teachers, my past students for whom I always hoped to be a good role model...

----------------------------------
How painfully humiliating to now have to confess that I always thought the etymology of "dong" was an allusion to ringing a bell.

Hurts...
😖
like taking one in the clappers.
😆😂😭

I think it does refer to the ringing of a bell. But it is, or I always took it to be a (as the French say) double entendre (double hearing). Maybe that was just me.

P.S. What you say from listening to actual French broadcasts is irreplaceable. I am just out here spit balling.

Last edited:
What you say from listening to actual French broadcasts is irreplaceable. I am just out here spit balling.
Oh, no. Can't take credit. Those were all excerpts from the linked article.

By the way... I checked on the French onomatopoeia for the sound of a church bell, and it said dingue-dongue.
So if that's accurate, maybe Robin will have a dongue-fest.
[...not to be confused with dengue fever.]

And it's a rule (somewhere) that you can't post the word "onomatopoeia" without also posting...

Bang! went the pistol.
Crash! went the window.
Ouch! went the son of a gun.
Onomatopoeia
I don't wanna see ya
Speaking in a foreign tongue.

Last edited:
Seen a guy at the VFW who walked with a funny sorta limp. Asked him about it, and he said he served in Nam and got injured in Le Dong. But I could never find it on a map.
I am too innocent to consider that your friends may have been making a joke about certain contagious conditions they have exposed themselves to.
There is a Dong Hoi city and a Dong Nai province. Idk. Maybe they were speaking of their wallet on R&R: #57,275.

Last edited:
I am too innocent to consider that your friends may have been making a joke about certain contagious conditions they have exposed themselves to.
There is a Dong Hoi city and a Dong Nai province. Idk. Maybe they were speaking of their wallet on R&R: #57,275
I think dong nai is when you intentionally walk a slugger.

edit: Or, maybe when a slugger is due...

Oh, no. Can't take credit. Those were all excerpts from the linked article.

By the way... I checked on the French onomatopoeia for the sound of a church bell, and it said dingue-dongue.
So if that's accurate, maybe Robin will have a dongue-fest.
[...not to be confused with dengue fever.]

And it's a rule (somewhere) that you can't post the word "onomatopoeia" without also posting...

Bang! went the pistol.
Crash! went the window.
Ouch! went the son of a gun.
Onomatopoeia
I don't wanna see ya
Speaking in a foreign tongue.

A reference to the late, great John Prine? Big win to you, sir!

VN Store

Back