The Official Tennessee vs. Ole Miss Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

I don't think they will make the NCAA tournament but , I'm very impressed how well this team has played this season with very little experience. Many bright years ahead for this squad .

If we can get 4 more wins and avoid any bad losses at home, I think we get in. RPI currently at 35 and SOS still No 2. We make a great case, and I would love to see us in the region headed by gonzaga and Oregon as the #1&2

If we can get 4 more wins and avoid any bad losses at home, I think we get in. RPI currently at 35 and SOS still No 2. We make a great case, and I would love to see us in the region headed by gonzaga and Oregon as the #1&2

I think you are correct, how many games are left?

hey, heard there was a game tonight...hope we win...:wavey:...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had 20 more FTs than Ole Miss--that's usually good for a W!

Let's win 4/5 more, if possible. This team badly needs a good athletic big--6'8 at least. Need more size.

Glad we won this game. I want to know what's happened to the playing time of Shembari Phillips? I mean he only played 13 minutes tonight & hasn't played much more than that per game the last 5+ games. He's the most versatile overall player we have. He plays both ends of the floor.

I haven't seen him have what I would call a bad game in the past couple of weeks either. He seems to play pretty well when he comes into the game. I don't really get it. He should be seeing the floor more than somebody that's out there playing for sure. He should be getting 22-25 minutes per game in my opinion.

He's not been given a chance to show what he can do because he doesn't see the floor enough. It looks like he's the odd man out situation but it doesn't fit that though. Phillips is not an odd man out player. He is an all-around player that can play both ends of the floor. What about Bone & Turner with all of those turnovers against Miss State that cost us the game?

Phillips was barely to be seen in that game as well. I don't think CRB is handling the playing time/rotation of Phillips well at all. He's the most dynamic overall player we have & for him to not even be given much of a chance shocks me.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Phillips transfer out after this season because of the way he's been treated this season by not given a chance. CRB seemed to play Phillips quite a bit early on but when it got to SEC play that changed. That's when we needed him most. I just don't get it.

When you look at his stats they're not much to look at since SEC play because he's not played too much. Does anybody else feel like I do about Phillips & how the situation with him has turned out for 2016-17? Thanks!

Glad we won this game. I want to know what's happened to the playing time of Shembari Phillips? I mean he only played 13 minutes tonight & hasn't played much more than that per game the last 5+ games. He's the most versatile overall player we have. He plays both ends of the floor.

I haven't seen him have what I would call a bad game in the past couple of weeks either. He seems to play pretty well when he comes into the game. I don't really get it. He should be seeing the floor more than somebody that's out there playing for sure. He should be getting 22-25 minutes per game in my opinion.

He's not been given a chance to show what he can do because he doesn't see the floor enough. It looks like he's the odd man out situation but it doesn't fit that though. Phillips is not an odd man out player. He is an all-around player that can play both ends of the floor. What about Bone & Turner with all of those turnovers against Miss State that cost us the game?

Phillips was barely to be seen in that game as well. I don't think CRB is handling the playing time/rotation of Phillips well at all. He's the most dynamic overall player we have & for him to not even be given much of a chance shocks me.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Phillips transfer out after this season because of the way he's been treated this season by not given a chance. CRB seemed to play Phillips quite a bit early on but when it got to SEC play that changed. That's when we needed him most. I just don't get it.

When you look at his stats they're not much to look at since SEC play because he's not played too much. Does anybody else feel like I do about Phillips & how the situation with him has turned out for 2016-17? Thanks!

Not really.

Reactions: 1 person

I like Phillips too, but to call him the most dynamic overall player is a stretch.....imo

I'm waiting on 247 and scout to form an opinion. Seriously, no TB. He is receiving a good education while being offered the opportunity to EARN playing time. I think CRB has done a good enough job with this young team to not question his distribution of playing time. And I also think Shembari is inconsistent enough to justify his playing time.jmo

Not really.

Why do you think Shembari isn't playing much then? He at times last season was the best player on the floor. He played better than Hubbs in most games last season.

This season he's just not been given a fair chance in my opinion & to prove that look at two things. His minutes & his stats. That's all you need to look at to see he's not being done right. Thanks!

Why do you think Shembari isn't playing much then? He at times last season was the best player on the floor. He played better than Hubbs in most games last season.

This season he's just not been given a fair chance in my opinion & to prove that look at two things. His minutes & his stats. That's all you need to look at to see he's not being done right. Thanks!
I trust the coaches

Jordan Bowden is better plain and simple

Reactions: 2 people

He's been given plenty of chances. He started several games with Bone out. He's just behind Bone, Turner, and Bowden right now, which means he has to split very few remaining minutes with Parker. They can't all play, and he's just the odd man out.

Reactions: 2 people

Several articles in the past month have indicated that Barnes hasn't seen the consistent focus in practice and games that he expects from Phillips.

"We need him to take his work ethic to a different level."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbss...-phillips-to-overcome-funk/amp/?client=safari

Jordan Bowden is better plain and simple

The addition of Turner as well has cut his time probably. Having this many players that can deliver on a given night is a good problem to have. Don't forget Bowden as well. I wonder if Hubbs departure will affect Phillip's time.

Really big win for us. I had all but given up. Everything was like pulling teeth. Trailed by 7 with about 4 remaining and won by 9! I was watching on Dish and we were up by 2 with about 2 min. to go and there was a rainstorm knocking the signal out. It came back on and we were up by 7 ( I believe ). Can someone fill in for me? How'd we get there?

NM I read your alls commentary for the last minute or so. Good description. Bowden with a dagger and an Ole Miss turnover.

Last edited:
Great win; great time. We never let them stretch out a big lead, we kept our head and stayed patient - and let Ole Miss take the gas late.

I miss normal start times though. 6:30 is tough during the work week; 9 is awful late. I-40 traffic meant we missed the 1st 5 min.

Two things can keep you on the bench when playing for Barnes.
Not playing defense or reading them properly(ex. Kwe this game)..
Not taking your shots when they are there.
Shembari's problem has been the same all season, even before the Florida benching. He doesn't take his shots and as Barnes has said isn't confident when he does.
Just getting any minutes is a sign Barnes wants him to succeed. He isn't seizing the moment.

Over simplified maybe, but JMO

VN Store

Back