The official "regular posters of the Basketball forum" thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
One name that consistently keeps popping up in conversations is Detrick Mostella. According to everyone we’ve spoken around the program Mostella has been extremely impressive. Word is that Barnes put the sophomore on a short leash shortly after his arrival and to his credit, Mostella has responded positively.

Some reports we’ve gotten out of recent pick-up games have suggested he’s consistently been the best player on the court.

-VQ

My worry is that Mostella was also consistently the best player many night in RTL games, his style of play is very conducive towards that type of game/pick up games. With that said, I know when these guys play pickup games it's much more aggressive and defense is actually played.

If Mostella suddenly becomes the guy we thought he could be, that obviously makes this team much better.

Reactions: 1 person
My worry is that Mostella was also consistently the best player many night in RTL games, his style of play is very conducive towards that type of game/pick up games. With that said, I know when these guys play pickup games it's much more aggressive and defense is actually played.

If Mostella suddenly becomes the guy we thought he could be, that obviously makes this team much better.

I don't understand why that is a worry

Here's the quote...

Some reports we’ve gotten out of recent pick-up games have suggested he’s consistently been the best player on the court.

If he was the best player in pick up games last year as well, but struggled to see the court, then that report maybe should be taken with a grain of a salt.

That make sense?

It's a worry because the theory is that Mostella's game doesn't translate well to a structured environment. The same reasons why And1 players generally can't make it to the NBA. It isn't a question of skills and abilities. It's a question of how those skills and abilities translate into a team-specific scheme, how the player handles being asked to mesh with teammates on the floor, and their attitude towards that.

It's a worry because the theory is that Mostella's game doesn't translate well to a structured environment. The same reasons why And1 players generally can't make it to the NBA. It isn't a question of skills and abilities. It's a question of how those skills and abilities translate into a team-specific scheme, how the player handles being asked to mesh with teammates on the floor, and their attitude towards that.

Thought last year after the first few games that he would for sure average 10 points a game.. Hope that happens this year, we need him!

Pretty sure that the guy next to Admiral Schofield is infact Lamonte Turner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 19
ok, was looking over the roster after the addition of Turner and noticed that in addition to the height mystery we have 2 bigs from Canada for the first time. now that didn't seem to odd until i looked at their majors....kosango is majoring in Theatre while Alexander is majoring in Cinema.........now that does seem odd! a 6-8 theatre major????

oh well........shaping up to be a fun season to watch...don't you think?

Regarding Tee Higgins, the most recent football commit. I've looked pretty hard and can only find this game winning 3 to beat Fulton. Does anybody have any other basketball video on him?

The 3 wasn't all that pretty. Imo but the awareness to go behind the back, when the defender went for the ball before the shot, impressed the heck out of me. Just that little bit has me thinking for not having to use a scholly, we could do a lot worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzT42MTZbA

Regarding Tee Higgins, the most recent football commit. I've looked pretty hard and can only find this game winning 3 to beat Fulton. Does anybody have any other basketball video on him?

The 3 wasn't all that pretty. Imo but the awareness to go behind the back, when the defender went for the ball before the shot, impressed the heck out of me. Just that little bit has me thinking for not having to use a scholly, we could do a lot worse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzT42MTZbA

I'd love to see him play both sports. Join the bball team each season after football is done. Antwaan Randle El did that for Indiana when he wasn't playing QB for the Hoosiers and Julius Peppers did the same for the Tar Heels back in the day.

Kid could be one heck of a swing man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back