The Official Queens @ #1 Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. May 7th 6PM EST SECNET+)

My point as it pertains to last week/weekend, is that in that instant, because the two teams ahead of us had worse weekends, the Lipscomb game ended up not mattering, had we too lost our weekend series to UF we would have stayed or dropped based on that midweek game, maybe Clemson jumps up-above us in that scenario? We would not be 1 this week.

Does anyone want to see what happens if we lose to Queens and drop one or two versus VU?

Saying midweek games don’t matter is like saying injuries to significant players at this stage doesn’t matter.
You misunderstand me. I thought and still think you were right. I shouldn't have said that to 52. I thought it would make him feel better to understand what you said, since I assume he respects your baseball knowledge and views like I do, and he had gotten jumped last night for worrying about the midweek lost and he felt kind of isolated. Both of you thought I was antagonizing you, so I really must have expressed myself poorly. My bad.

Reactions: vol66 and knoxvol52
Queens Royals
(12-36) Overall (8-16) ASUN

View attachment 638794
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(39-9) Overall (17-7) SEC
View attachment 638795

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Top-ranked Tennessee hosts Queens University of Charlotte on Tuesday evening at Lindsey Nelson Stadium for its lone home game this week before hitting the road for another conference road series this weekend. The Volunteers rose to No. 1 in all major polls this week after a series win on the road at Florida over the weekend, capping the series with a dominant 16-3 run-rule victory over the Gators in Saturday's rubber game.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app as Zack Nelson (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) will be on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vine Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: First Meeting
in Knoxville: N/A
in Charlotte: N/A
at Neutral Sites: N/A
Last Meeting: N/A

NOTABLE

Another Strong Week for Pitching Staff
UT's pitching staff is coming off another impressive weekend where it allowed just seven earned runs at Florida to help lead the Vols to their fourth consecutive series win in Gainesville. Over the past two series, Tennessee's pitchers have posted a 2.12 ERA and 53 strikeouts compared to just 11 walks in 51.0 innings of work.

Vols Rise to No. 1
The Vols rose to No. 1 in all of the major polls this week, marking their first No. 1 ranking since June 6, 2022, when Tennessee was the unanimous top ranked team in the country for the 10th week during that season. The Big Orange have now been ranked No. 1 in at least one poll during 13 different weeks in program history, all of which have occurred during the Tony Vitello era (2018-present).

Moore Making a Case for SEC Player of the Year
Christian Moore is having an SEC Player of the Year caliber season for the Orange and White. The junior second baseman leads the league with a .430 batting average and 46 hits in conference play while ranking second in slugging percentage (.907), home runs (15) and total bases (97) and third in RBIs (32).

Moore was named the NCBWA National Player of the Month for April after leading the team in numerous offensive categories, including batting average (.452), runs (20), hits (28), doubles (five), home runs (10), RBIs (27), total bases (63), slugging percentage (1.016) and on-base percentage (.507). The junior second baseman also led the SEC in hits, while ranking second in RBIs and slugging percentage to help lead Tennessee to a stellar 13-3 record for the month with series wins over Auburn, No. 25 LSU, No. 3 Kentucky and Missouri.

Moore hit his team-leading 21st home run in last Saturday's series-clinching win at Florida and is now three away from tying the single-season program record of 24 set by Sonny Cortez in 1998.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Queens Royals (12-36, 8-16 ASUN)
  • Head Coach: Jake Hendrick (1st season)
  • 2023 Record: 17-38 (9-21 ASUN)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • 2024 ASUN Preseason Poll: 10th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (0)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Dillon Lewis (.376)
    • Runs: Dillon Lewis (54)
    • Hits: Dillon Lewis (74)
    • Home Runs: Dillon Lewis (18)
    • RBI: Dillon Lewis (57)
    • Stolen Bases: Dillon Lewis (18)
    • Wins: Landry Jurecka / Joseph Rodriguez (3)
    • Saves: Three tied (1)1
    • ERA (min. 20 IP): Joey Ruller (4.71)
    • WHIP (min. 20 IP): Joey Ruller (1.67)
    • Innings Pitched: Landry Jurecka (63.2)
    • Strikeouts: Landry Jurecka (66)

ON DECK

The Vols will make the short drive west to Nashville for another SEC East rivalry series at Vanderbilt this weekend. Friday's series opener is slated for a 7 p.m. ET first pitch on SEC Network+ while Saturday and Sunday's games will be televised on the SEC Network and ESPN2.

This should be a very feastable game for the Base Vols.

Reactions: NO SIR EEE
My point as it pertains to last week/weekend, is that in that instant, because the two teams ahead of us had worse weekends, the Lipscomb game ended up not mattering, had we too lost our weekend series to UF we would have stayed or dropped based on that midweek game, maybe Clemson jumps up-above us in that scenario? We would not be 1 this week.

Does anyone want to see what happens if we lose to Queens and drop one or two versus VU?

Saying midweek games don’t matter is like saying injuries to significant players at this stage doesn’t matter.
@Orange wasn't knocking you, I posted that Tennessee wouldn't jump to number 1 because of mid week loss because midweek games matter. Then
Other posters stated that the loss to Lipscomb shouldn't matter. So began a 30 minute argument lol.

He was acknowledging that you had the same thought I did that midweek games matter.

Reactions: vol66
You misunderstand me. I thought and still think you were right. I shouldn't have said that to 52, I suppose, because I thought it would make him feel better to understand what you said, since I assume he respects your baseball knowledge like I do, and because he got jumped and felt kind of isolated. Both of you thought I was antagonizing you, so I really did express myself poorly.

Not in my case, you expressed it well. It was an opportunity for me to more fully express my reasoning, based on history. It wasn’t that long ago when we either needed to sweep or take 2/3 on the last weekend just to make Hoover and a midweek game loss in that scenario, would have been devastating.

We’re in great spot, if we can hold it for the next two weeks, soooooo much better than like a month ago.

GBO!!!

@Orange wasn't knocking you, I posted that Tennessee wouldn't jump to number 1 because of mid week loss because midweek games matter. Then
Other posters stated that the loss to Lipscomb shouldn't matter. So began a 30 minute argument lol.

He was acknowledging that you had the same thought I did that midweek games matter.

Not used to you causing trouble outside of the Lady Vols forum..

😝😊

Last edited:
Auburn and Ole Miss cancelled midweek games late last season. I don't recall their situations at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Ole Miss was the biggest and most consequential instance in 2022 when -- threatened by the prospect of missing the tournament altogether based on their record -- they cancelled a midweek game that (it was said) would have lowered their RPI, even if they won the game. By that means OM secured the very last spot and went on to win a CWS that they wouldn't otherwise have even been eligible to compete for.

Last edited:
Not sure, but it’s been a bit of a trend over the last couple seasons with bubble teams. I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s an SEC thing per se.
It may not be exclusively an SEC thing. It could be that's what was noticed here because we followed it more closely.

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb is 15 Sec wins, it doesn’t always work that way but most of the time…that said, teams on that cusp wanna save pitching, so…

And also, if yer no where close to 15, just get it over with. Personally I think that’s wrong and giving up a freebie chance to hold onto young players. However, if you’re trying to turn over a roster….i wouldn’t do it, but I can see why you would.

I was curious if there was a specific cancellation that people are screeching about that triggered his tweet.
NCAA sent out an email to D1 teams warning against cancelling games for RPI purposes. It was a preemptive strike. Unfortunately, it happens every year where teams realize their RPI will suffer just by playing and winning a game against a low RPI team.

For some reason, Ole Miss is the one I remember as doing the 'cancel mid-week game' because of RPI / or needed rest or something.

All kinda fuzzy

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Don’t know also remember last year or the year before that two SEC teams took a split at the end of the season when they could have possibly played the tgird game and it helped both of them. I might be imagining that, but I don’t think so.

How is weather in Knocksville looking for tonight’s game?
Not very good given the severe weather forecast and a line of storms approaching Nashville from the west. Then there is Underground calling it "play ball"...
5:00 pm
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
83 °F86 °F15 %0 in79 %66 °F57 %11 mph SW29.73 in
6:00 pm
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
83 °F86 °F15 %0 in70 %66 °F57 %10 mph SW29.72 in
7:00 pm
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
82 °F85 °F9 %0 in64 %66 °F59 %8 mph SW29.72 in
8:00 pm
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
80 °F83 °F15 %0 in68 %67 °F65 %7 mph SW29.73 in
9:00 pm
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
77 °F81 °F17 %0 in56 %66 °F69 %7 mph SW29.74 in
10:00 pm
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
76 °F79 °F21 %0 in65 %66 °F73 %6 mph SW29.75 in

Reactions: volplaya8
I get all the SEC hate but, when UT fans poke the fans of other SEC/NCAA teams as rough as I have been reading...don't get bent when they fire back when we are not on top. I would rather barely get in the final tournament and take home the trophy aka Ole Miss a couple years back than to show up #1 and choke. Go Vols and looking forward to the Queens game. Men's baseball team named "Queens"...lol. Are they fishing for bulletin board trash talk?

VN Store

Back