The Official PlayStation 5 Thread

Brave Volunteer

What the hell. I'm bored and since I'm probably the resident PlayStation guy here I figured I would go ahead and create this thread. I will update it as more information presents itself. If someone else wants to do a separate Xbox thread, go for it!

Console: PlayStation 5

Price: N/A

Release Date: Holiday 2020

gsmarena_002.jpg

playstation-5-button-02-1591933908407.jpg

PS5 FAQ - Everything You Need To Know (Honest) - PlayStation Universe

System Specs:
CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU: Custom RDNA 2.0 architecture. 10.3 Teraflops, 36 Compute Units at 2.23Ghz (variable frequency) with hardware raytracing support and Variable Rate Shading.
Audio: Dedicated audio chip, providing new "Tempest" audio engine for games
Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-Bit at 448GB per second
Internal Storage: Custom SSD 825GB
IO Throughput: 5.5GB per second (raw), 8-9GB per second (compressed)
Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
Optical Drive: 4X UHD Blu Ray player

Digital Foundry's PS5 architecture breakdown

Controller: DualSense

Price: N/A

Release Date: Holiday 2020

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5
1586611431291.png1586611418519.png

Features:
Built in haptic feedback & adaptive triggers
Built in touchpad
New "Create" button with new features yet to be revealed
Built in microphone for quick chat
Built in audio speaker
Rechargeable battery with USB-C charge port
3.5mm Headphone Jack
Compatible with PS5, PS4, and PS4 Pro Consoles

Last edited:
I really liked the shape of the old dualshock controller design. Hopefully this one isn't too much bigger but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

I really liked the shape of the old dualshock controller design. Hopefully this one isn't too much bigger but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Here's a side by side image showing the dimensional differences between them. I have "gorilla" hands so I welcome the slight uptick in bulk.

1586612978337.png

Here's a side by side image showing the dimensional differences between them. I have "gorilla" hands so I welcome the slight uptick in bulk.

View attachment 271067
Nice. It doesn't look too much bigger. I've just always preferred the more compact and lighter controllers. I wonder if they're planning on releasing a back paddle add on like they recently released for the dual shock?

Nice. It doesn't look too much bigger. I've just always preferred the more compact and lighter controllers. I wonder if they're planning on releasing a back paddle add on like they recently released for the dual shock?

Here's another one with DS4 overlaid on the Dualsense. Yeah I would imagine they would offer that add on for this controller as well.

1586613243488.png

PS5 Heatsink Patent Has the Web Hyped About Sony's Next-Gen Cooling Solution

Sony’s range of PlayStation 4 hardware is so loud it could be considered a public disturbance. We’re all praying to the hardware gods that it’s come up with a solution to keep its next-gen console quiet, then, and a patent from 2018 hints at what the device’s cooling system may look like. It’s worth mentioning that the PlayStation 5 isn’t referenced explicitly in the documentation, and plans are always subject to change.
Nevertheless, the abstract explains roughly how the cooling solution will operate: “A heatsink is disposed on a lower surface of a circuit board. The circuit board has through holes that penetrate the circuit board in an area where an integrated circuit apparatus is disposed. Heat conduction paths are provided in the through holes. The heat conduction paths connect the integrated circuit apparatus and the heatsink. This structure allows for disposition of a component different from the heatsink on the same side as the integrated circuit apparatus, thus ensuring a higher degree of freedom in a component layout.”

Speaking as part of his PS5 presentation earlier in the year, architect Mark Cerny explained that the unique design of Sony’s next-gen system will help to prevent it from turning into a hairdryer. He also mentioned as part of an interview with Digital Foundry that we’ll get to see the console’s cooling solution as part of a teardown in the near future.
For now, Reddit user nemesis_scale has prepared some renders which show how the patented heatsink could look in physical form. They’re not to scale, but should give you a better idea of what the Japanese giant has in mind here:

ps5-playstation-5-heatsink-1.original.jpg

ps5-playstation-5-heatsink-3.original.jpg

With competitor Microsoft promising whisper quiet performance for Xbox Series X, we’re hoping Sony has a decent solution to this problem, as the PS4 range is so loud it’s attracted ridicule in recent weeks.

Thanks for sharing. All the new info is exciting!

I've never had problems with a console being loud. Any volume from TV/surround sound has been louder than the console. A quiet console seems like a non-event to me, but I guess a lot of others feel differently.

I also don't get excited about backward compatibility. Once I finish a game, I usually don't go back to it. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here.

I just want a console with better graphics and higher frame rates.

Reactions: TAZVOL75
Thanks for sharing. All the new info is exciting!

I've never had problems with a console being loud. Any volume from TV/surround sound has been louder than the console. A quiet console seems like a non-event to me, but I guess a lot of others feel differently.

I also don't get excited about backward compatibility. Once I finish a game, I usually don't go back to it. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here.

I just want a console with better graphics and higher frame rates.

My PS4 Pro sounds like a hair dryer sometimes! I welcome a quiet machine!

As for BC, I want it because now that we are in a predominantly digital age, I think its more important than ever to be able to carry your digital library over with you since you can't trade digital games in as credit. I'm especially interested if there are significant resolution and framerate bumps with the new hardware.

I updated the original post with Digital Foundry's PS5 tech breakdown video. Some of you might find it interesting.

Ok question for you guys who play both xbox and ps.

I have been playing games for over 30 years.

I flipped from computer gaming to xbox way back and have owned every xbox since.

I did own a ps3 but mainly played metal gear and rpgs.

My point is I have been playing shooters on the xbox controller for decades and my muscle memory is very use to this style controller.

How different does it feel playing with a ps4 controller. My concern is the thumb sticks being 100 percent horizontal and not diagonal.

Thoughts?

I flipped from computer gaming to xbox way back and have owned every xbox since.

My point is I have been playing shooters on the xbox controller for decades and my muscle memory is very use to this style controller.

How different does it feel playing with a ps4 controller. My concern is the thumb sticks being 100 percent horizontal and not diagonal.

Thoughts?
I don't have a problem switching back and forth between the two, but I don't play many shooters and everyone has their own preference so my opinion may not fit everyone. I hope any negative notions aren't based on the ps3 controller because they improved that greatly for ps4, and I assume/hope they'll do similar improvements on ps5.

Thoughts?

Ive been going through this situation in the past few months. I’ve literally always been on PlayStation, from one through 4. But my ps4 died, so I’ve been on Xbox one for like 5 months now. It’s been tough for me to adjust, but I mostly play things like fortnite, cod, siege, stuff like that. It’s not bad now but definitely takes some getting used to.

Reactions: NEO

Thoughts?

I've always found it fascinating that some gamers have such strong opinions regarding controllers and more specifically, stick layout. For me personally, symmetrical, asymmetrical, it doesn't matter to me one iota. I have both types. I play with both types regularly. My conclusion is....they're BOTH fine! I can put one down, pick the other one up, and not skip a beat. However there are many who don't feel that way at all. There are gamers on both sides of the fence that will die on that hill for their chosen layout.

Honestly, if I could make one personal change to any of the controllers it would be the ABXY face buttons on the Xbox controller. I do not like those hard rounded "jewel" style buttons. I much prefer the flat, softer face buttons on PS4 and Switch Pro Controller. Those jewel style buttons irritate my right thumb after a while.

I've always found it fascinating that some gamers have such strong opinions regarding controllers and more specifically, stick layout. For me personally, symmetrical, asymmetrical, it doesn't matter to me one iota. I have both types. I play with both types regularly. My conclusion is....they're BOTH fine! I can put one down, pick the other one up, and not skip a beat. However there are many who don't feel that way at all. There are gamers on both sides of the fence that will die on that hill for their chosen layout.

Honestly, if I could make one personal change to any of the controllers it would be the ABXY face buttons on the Xbox controller. I do not like those hard rounded "jewel" style buttons. I much prefer the flat, softer face buttons on PS4 and Switch Pro Controller. Those jewel style buttons irritate my right thumb after a while.
Agree. I like the clicky face buttons like the Razer Wolverine. DS4 is second. The XB1 controller is definitely the worst in that regard.

My goal is to try to stick with one main console this generation. I haven't decided yet which it will be, but I like a lot of what Microsoft has been putting out as of late, while Sony on the other hand has been relatively quiet. I'll personally probably play Gears, Halo and Forza more than I will any of the first party Sony single player games. But I could also play those xbox games on PC, so, that's the dilemma.

You getting both?

Last edited:
I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I want to buy a console now while I'm stuck at home but the PlayStation 5 is so close to being released and I'm not sure that it'd be a smart move for me to buy a PlayStation 4.

Thoughts?
Been from Sony to Microsoft and back again. It's takes a couple weeks to adjust. But I've never had an issue doing it. Whichever you play feels like second nature pretty quick. The hardest to get used to is a Nintendo controller because you usually interact with things using a diffrent button, and that's a game design choice not inherent to the controller.

I haven’t played a video game in 7 years. My ps3 just plays blu-rays. Has playstation really dropped off in popularity?

I haven’t played a video game in 7 years. My ps3 just plays blu-rays. Has playstation really dropped off in popularity?
LOL, no. At around110 million units sold,, the PS4 is the second best selling console of all time, behind the PS2. As a brand, PlayStation owns 4 of the top 5 spots of all time highest selling home consoles. The only non PlayStation console in the top 5 is the Wii.

VN Store

Back