The Official Duke/UNC 2017/18 Basketball Thread!!!

And watch you cry about it

Hey man, I spend about 99% of my time on VN in the Recruiting Forum Football Talk threads, and I know you post in them very often yourself. I don't understand why you feel the need to take a dump in this thread.

I get that you think we are some sort of second-class fans because we have some allegiance to another team. But, everyone in this thread has it naturally. Your premise is that if someone doesn't disavow a rooting interest for any team besides Tennessee, they aren't a real fan. What you're missing is that, based solely on the number of states, people have a 2% chance of being born in Tennessee (if you used actual census figures, it would be less than that).

I wasn't part of the fortunate 2% that were born in Tennessee. I was born in North Carolina. And, like any decent resident of that state, I was raised on UNC basketball...you had to have a relative on the team to give half-a-crap about the football team because they always sucked.

After I finished 8th grade, my dad took a job in Chattanooga and, for a few years, I didn't take notice of UT football because I was so accustomed to not caring about football. When I was finishing high school, a couple of my friends were going to UT to play in some non-revenue sports (Golf and Track) so I started following UT with some interest...that just so happened to be when UT was recruiting Peyton so I was interested to see if he'd end up at UT with my friends. It was also looking like I would end up at a UT system school (UTC).

So around the 1992 and 1993 seasons I started watching UT football and fell in love. It didn't hurt that my growing interest and love for UT football coincided with the decade of dominance.

So there you have it. I now root for all things UT, and still care very much about UNC basketball.

If you can't understand that, there's not much I can do for you. And my story, in some way, shape or form, is very similar to nearly everyone else in this thread. Almost all of us put UT above the other schools we care about. I hope that gives you some insight and helps you understand how we can root for teams other than UT. Or, at a minimum, I hope that convinces you that there's no need to come in here and do nothing more than attempt to provoke and ridicule the posters in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Hey man, I spend about 99% of my time on VN in the Recruiting Forum Football Talk threads, and I know you post in them very often yourself. I don't understand why you feel the need to take a dump in this thread.

I get that you think we are some sort of second-class fans because we have some allegiance to another team. But, everyone in this thread has it naturally. Your premise is that if someone doesn't disavow a rooting interest for any team besides Tennessee, they aren't a real fan. What you're missing is that, based solely on the number of states, people have a 2% chance of being born in Tennessee (if you used actual census figures, it would be less than that).

I wasn't part of the fortunate 2% that were born in Tennessee. I was born in North Carolina. And, like any decent resident of that state, I was raised on UNC basketball...you had to have a relative on the team to give half-a-crap about the football team because they always sucked.

After I finished 8th grade, my dad took a job in Chattanooga and, for a few years, I didn't take notice of UT football because I was so accustomed to not caring about football. When I was finishing high school, a couple of my friends were going to UT to play in some non-revenue sports (Golf and Track) so I started following UT with some interest...that just so happened to be when UT was recruiting Peyton so I was interested to see if he'd end up at UT with my friends. It was also looking like I would end up at a UT system school (UTC).

So around the 1992 and 1993 seasons I started watching UT football and fell in love. It didn't hurt that my growing interest and love for UT football coincided with the decade of dominance.

So there you have it. I now root for all things UT, and still care very much about UNC basketball.

If you can't understand that, there's not much I can do for you. And my story, in some way, shape or form, is very similar to nearly everyone else in this thread. Almost all of us put UT above the other schools we care about. I hope that gives you some insight and helps you understand how we can root for teams other than UT. Or, at a minimum, I hope that convinces you that there's no need to come in here and do nothing more than attempt to provoke and ridicule the posters in here.

And that, as they say, is that.

Reactions: 3 people

Lol, yeah thats not it at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Then what is it? I took time to give you my side of the story...what's yours?

I have a second team i go for as well, navy When army beat navy this year, did you see me crying and cursing out the army guys giving me heck about it? No you didnt. We are all vols fans here. Nothing wrong with a little light hearted fun. Yet some folks want to cry, curse and throw out the race card like they have been personally wronged. Quite funny actually. So if we bust your nads about unc basketball making up classes for their pkayers and such, dont get your panties in a wad, its all in good fun.

Last edited:
I have a second team i go for as well, navy When army beat navy this year, did you see me crying and cursing out the army guys giving me heck about it? No you didnt. We are all vols fans here. Nothing wrong with a little light hearted fun. Yet some folks want to cry, curse and throw out the race card like they have been personally wronged. Quite funny actually.

Cool, man. You do you. I just don't understand why you need to crap on this entire thread because a few posters rub you the wrong way.

On the Army/Navy stuff...there's certainly plenty of good-natured ribbing that goes on between both groups. I don't know why you wouldn't have taken the opportunity to engage!

As for the fake classes, I don't think I've ever even responded to anyone giving UNC crap about that...the institution certainly deserves ridicule for that mess.

:salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Cool, man. You do you. I just don't understand why you need to crap on this entire thread because a few posters rub you the wrong way.

On the Army/Navy stuff...there's certainly plenty of good-natured ribbing that goes on between both groups. I don't know why you wouldn't have taken the opportunity 7to engage!

As for the fake classes, I don't think I've ever even responded to anyone giving UNC crap about that...the institution certainly deserves ridicule for that mess.

:salute:

Its all good man, i dont think i really crapped on the whole thread once i heard the guys stories about the thread. I just loled when duke lost, cause well its funny. Cant stand duke.

Oh and i do engage on army/ navy stuff just dont cry and curse at people

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
And it looks like Unc has the best player in the country coming next year.

Little >

Also, Zion is going to be such a huge bust. Have a good day 😎

I remember talking with my friends the other day when the McDonalds game came up and I swore up and down Zion is overrated. Derrick Jones-esque in the open floor but not amazing in the half court setting. People get too caught up with the dunks and highlight tape.

If you can't understand that, there's not much I can do for you. And my story, in some way, shape or form, is very similar to nearly everyone else in this thread. Almost all of us put UT above the other schools we care about. I hope that gives you some insight and helps you understand how 29we can root for teams other than UT. Or, at a minimum, I hope that convinces you that there's no need to come in here and do nothing more than attempt to provoke and ridicule the posters in here.
e
e

I live in charlotte, have for 20 plus years, and married a Carolina girl in a tarheel family. I call myself a Tennessee tarheel...there are many like me, I have created several myself by making my buddies watch UT football, over here in Bball country, and they fell in love with our Vols during the 90s as well. I pull for Carolina in all sports unless they are playing our Vols. There is actually a couple places that UT fans get together in Charlotte to watch the Vols games, and many of those folks are Heels fans also...the fact that we play in different conferences makes being fans of both a lot easier...never internal conflict...internal conflict was when i pulled for Peyton, my fave all time, to beat my Panthers in the superbowl...I have been a panthers fan since before we played our first game as a franchise...Peyton deserved a 2nd trophy though as he's the GOAT. 1st and last time I pull against my panthers.

Long post, sorry guys.

Reactions: 3 people
I remember talking with my friends the other day when the McDonalds game came up and I swore up and down Zion is overrated. Derrick Jones-esque in the open floor but not amazing in the half court setting. People get too caught up with the dunks and highlight tape.

People who think Zion is going to be a bust have never seen him do more than dunk. Zion potentially being a bust is the least of my worries. Him being a small ball 4 or 5 is exactly what he’s meant to do and that’s exactly what he’ll play.

People who think Zion is going to be a bust have never seen him do more than dunk. Zion potentially being a bust is the least of my worries. Him being a small ball 4 or 5 is exactly what he’s meant to do and that’s exactly what he’ll play.

Never said bust, but he has weaknesses.

Never said bust, but he has weaknesses.

I do agree, his shooting is a weakness. How much of a weakness I really don’t know because he’s never really had to shoot jumpers. I’ve seen his stroke and it’s not awful, he has much better mechanics that Duval’s was this year and there’s something to work with there. I have a little confidence that it’ll be alright because Scheyer has been a great shooting coach.

I think he'll be a college bust, simply because I think most highly touted one and done players don't do anything great in college. It's rare that they make huge impacts as freshmen, though most amaze in moments of brilliance.

It’s plausible to think he'll have at least a decent NBA career while simultaneously thinking he'll struggle in college.

I think the strategy at Duke, UK, KU, etc, is try to get as many of these guys as possible, with the hope that at least one of them will be great for their one year in college.

But, for every Bagley there's four or five highly rated recruits that don't have much of a payoff in college.

VN Store

Back