The Official Cleveland Cavaliers Thread

Why doesn't Cleveland just wait until next year and sign Love as a FA? Then they could keep Wiggins and their draft picks and get Love.

If they trade Wiggins for Love, its the Heat 1.5. He'd be lucky to go 2-2 again in the Finals.

I am in agreement that it wouldn't be a good plan to give all 3 a max contract. Love does not resemble the formula they just tried, though. He's an elite rebounder and both Love and Irving are better passers than Bosh and Wade, which gives them a lot more balance than the last 3 had. Though Love and Irving may get max contracts, those would still be cheaper than what they were paying the Heat (by about $6-7M per year).

They need to see a lot more out of Irving before they give him a max contract.

Did you just say "more balance" when both Kyrie and Love are terrible defenders?

Do you know how win shares are calculated and you agree with the methodology, or did it just sound like the right thing to say?

37th of 42 all-time great seasons still means something.

Love is also 1 of 2 to do 20 and 15 in the last 35 years, but his season ranks 3rd of 3. Mundane numbers.

Well 37 out of 42 and 3 out of 3 ended up not in the playoffs.

Which PF is replacing Love and beating out Dallas for that 8 spot last year? Does anybody think anybody else could have made them a playoff team?

Why doesn't Cleveland just wait until next year and sign Love as a FA? Then they could keep Wiggins and their draft picks and get Love.

The smartest move would be to wait it out until the deadline. Minnesota probably isn't going to do better than what Cleveland is offering.

I am wondering if they'll have cap room to do it. They'd have to amnesty Haywood (somehow he's scheduled for $10M next year). They'd have to get rid of more than that.

I am wondering if they'll have cap room to do it. They'd have to amnesty Haywood (somehow he's scheduled for $10M next year). They'd have to get rid of more than that.

They can't amnesty him because he didn't sign with then. They release him. His contract is not guaranteed next year.

The fact that Minnesota is balking at two overall #1s and a future first round pick tells you Love's value. Minnesota doesn't even have the leverage in this deal (Love wants out).

26, 12, and 4....nobody has done that in the modern era, whether they were on a good team or a bad team. He's one of the most unique talents in the league.

Reactions: 2 people
The fact that Minnesota is balking at two overall #1s and a future first round pick tells you Love's value. Minnesota doesn't even have the leverage in this deal (Love wants out).

26, 12, and 4....nobody has done that in the modern era, whether they were on a good team or a bad team. He's one of the most unique talents in the league.

One of those #1 overall players is Bennett. Who just had the worst rookie season ever. And the pick, unless protected, will be a late round choice.

So it's practically Wiggins.

Minnesota has some leverage. He's under contract still and Cleveland appears to be desperate to add him.

They're also trying to get a bidding war between GS and Cleveland.

Im sure they could make it. Anyone know how much they will have next off season? I could see them trading Waiters and Thompson to make room...

Don't trade Thompson unless he's going to leave anyway....you have to keep bargain players in order to win titles, IMO. I feel like this is the worst mistake GMs routinely make.

According to this site: HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Cleveland Cavaliers

Next year, Haywood is off the books at 2 mil, Varejao has a team option at 9.8 mil. I think he would take a lot less (5mil range) to stay. So theres 7M free.

Thompson is due a pretty high salary next year at 7.1, and Waiters is due 5.1. So trading them frees up another 12M which brings them up to 19M which I'm sure is plenty to get Love and a role player or two.

Thompson and Waiters are nice players, but if you can get LeBron, Love, Kyrie, and Wiggins all on the same team I think its a no brainer.

According to this site: HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Cleveland Cavaliers

Next year, Haywood is off the books at 2 mil, Varejao has a team option at 9.8 mil. I think he would take a lot less (5mil range) to stay. So theres 7M free.

Thompson is due a pretty high salary next year at 7.1, and Waiters is due 5.1. So trading them frees up another 12M which brings them up to 19M which I'm sure is plenty to get Love and a role player or two.

Thompson and Waiters are nice players, but if you can get LeBron, Love, Kyrie, and Wiggins all on the same team I think its a no brainer.

I want Waiters gone. I think he sucks. Thompson is good now. Wiggins is a question mark. If you want to win now, then you stick with Thompson. Wiggins is a keeper if you want to prioritize future success. There is no reason to believe he could be a key cog in a title run the next 2-3 seasons. He's a project.

That's funny, I remember you being on the exact opposite side of this discussion, like, three days ago.

You're right that it's not proof positive.

But, in fairness I was saying Cleveland never makes the right move, so why would their refusing to give up Wiggins be considered the right move? Minnesota is a different story. Nobody wants to play there, but they make pretty fairly good draft and personnel decisions:

They traded Mayo for Love
Trading Ridnour for Martin (not a great move, but a smart one).
AK47 signing
Budinger signing (too bad for injuries)
They got rid of Flynn at the right time

Drafting Pekovic and Rubio

Not the best resume, but when you consider how many picks Cleveland has had, and that they had Lebron to lure in talent, and Cleveland still rarely makes good moves, they have no excuse. Irving and Thompson are the best moves they've made in a long time, and Irving hasn't lived up to the hype yet.

Minnesotas front office moves are the punchline of countless nba jokes.

Got rid of Flynn at the right time? How about drafting Flynn at all? How about drafting Flynn and Rubio back to back? Inside the top 10? Gtfo

Reactions: 1 person
Minnesotas front office moves are the punchline of countless nba jokes.

Got rid of Flynn at the right time? How about drafting Flynn at all? How about drafting Flynn and Rubio back to back? Inside the top 10? Gtfo

That's a bad one because Flynn didn't work out, not cause it's a bad idea to put 2 PGs on the court. Look at Phoenix. They are wanting to pay $12M/year for their 2nd best PG.

VN Store

Back