The Official #16 Tennessee @ #23 Arkansas Gam Thread, 4:00 PM ET, ESPN

I feel like people bring both up honestly

That's sorta my point. I don't see how one is necessarily better than the other. The probability of winning a league championship is greater than winning a national championship. Win the league means winning a championship. You've won basically nothing going to a sweet sixteen though you feel good about the run leading up to being put out.

Last edited:
Didn’t get to see the game bc I was at work again.
I knew if we lost this board would be flooded with the Rick Barnes haters and boy was a right.
Weird Where y’all been the past 8 wins tho?
We lost to an Arkansas team that is really good at home and a tough place to play after winning 8 straight in the sec. I think we’ll be alright people.
Yep, it’s just home court college basketball. There’s a reason we were favored at home against #4 Kentucky but road dogs to the #23 team

One of my bones to pick on those charges is that more than once someone would drive, and while they were in the air a defender would move in front of them to draw the charge. It's completely against the concept of the foul, which is supposed to reward defenders for staying in front of their marks. So what looks like an open lane isn't, because someone is going to undercut you and draw the charge.

On the other side, Jay Bilas recently wrote about defenders not being penalized for checking and diverting cutters, and Arkansas is one of the worst defenders. Fulkerson embellished one of their checks and drew a call, and I literally stood up to clap.

Saying that we could have won the game in spite of the way it was called is not a rebuttal of the fact that it was called poorly, in such a way as to make it hard to watch. NCAA needs to think about what kind of basketball they want us to see, and whether they can remain competitive for developing players when they have other options that are officiated more like NBA games.
Agree 1,000% with your post. A charging call is supposed to be a reward for establishing and maintaining position, but instead, yesterday was a reward for being good at slivering like a snake underneath a driver. Also, your point about checking and diverting the path of cutters by Arkansas is spot-on. They are so egregious with that and yet it’s allowed the whole game. They also checked and fouled several times when drivers were attempting to turn the corner at the elbow. It’s obvious Musselman teaches this check and divert defense to affect flow and rhythm and ultimately performances of opponents. You just can’t allow that in basketball, at least to that degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think Barnes called out the offiacials in his post presser as best he could without getting fined. Called it 'unbalanced', ha. I liked that. Said TN had 4 players in foul trouble and Arky one. Said it totally took his team out of the offense they wanted to run. Hope he files a complaint with the SEC office.

Reactions: I4Vols
I think Barnes called out the offiacials in his post presser as best he could without getting fined. Called it 'unbalanced', ha. I liked that. Said TN had 4 players in foul trouble and Arky one. Said it totally took his team out of the offense they wanted to run. Hope he files a complaint with the SEC office.
Sure he will. That OB was particularly egregious.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
We played badly, but, I believe a lot of it was caused by our players realizing they had to be extra cautious. The rules are different in Arkansas. For instance, if our guys breath out while waiting on a driving player for Arkansas, it is a block.

On the other hand, Arkansas draws the charge if they move to the right or left by less than 3 1/2 feet.
Our team was taken out of its game while Arkansas was given free reign.

Those striped shirt guys were not an officiating crew; they were enforcers of the Arkansas Mafia.

Do we really need to bring the Clintons into this?

Barnes can get his disappointment with the refs noted and communicated to the refs WITHOUT calling them out publicly. Doing it his way may not be popular with fans, but it doesn’t make him the target of a ref mad about his comments next time. Barnes knows what he is doing.

Drive by poster lol probably have thousands of basketball board posts. But okay

Lol I can't with this team stupidity. Pure stupidity

Yeah, that was the last game thread you posted on. You have been nowhere to been seen since that loss and most of your posts this season is whining in the Barnes bashing thread. So yeah...you're a drive by true fan.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back