The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

So wonder if any of the 2024 guys we went after that picked Arkansas or Kentucky will revisit us?

Jalen Shelley, we offered early but never got a visit he picked Arkansas. Missouri kid that's a 6'8" SF and top 100 4 star
Somto Cyril, we offered he picked Kentucky. Georgia kid that was originally from Chattanooga 6'10" C and top 50 4 star

Here's the round up of predictions for next year:

the athletic: #8

8. Tennessee

Projected starters: Zakai Zeigler, Jahmai Mashack, Jordan Gainey, Tobe Awaka, Jonas Aidoo

Notable returners: JP Estrella, Cameron Carr, Cade Phillips, D.J. Jefferson

Other newcomers: Bishop Boswell

The Volunteers will lose first-team All-American Dalton Knecht, and that is a significant loss. Knecht is what made Tennessee different this season, allowing them to score bail-out buckets when the offensive execution got tough. Next year, they’ll need to find that answer — potentially in the portal again, given that they still project to have three open scholarship slots.

But the backbone of this recent Tennessee run has been elite defense, and all of the pieces from this past season’s No. 3 defense in the country, per KenPom, are back. Zeigler and Mashack on the perimeter as well as Aidoo on the interior are the important players there, as Rick Barnes has created a terrific high-pressure defense that also protects the rim at an elite level. The big thing this current group will need is some of the rising sophomores to step up, including dynamic offensive player Carr, a former top-50 recruit who was just quite skinny this past season and needed a bit of time to develop his frame.

SI: #9

9. Tennessee Volunteers​

It won’t be easy for Rick Barnes to replicate what he found in the transfer portal a year ago with Dalton Knecht, but the nucleus is still in place for this group to be highly competitive. Zakai Zeigler gives UT one of the best point guards in the country, and center Jonas Aidoo’s offensive game keeps expanding. An additional scoring pop on the wing should be a portal priority, but there’s plenty here to build on even if it will be a Herculean challenge to replace Knecht in the portal.

ESPN: #9

9. Tennessee Volunteers

Dalton Knecht is gone and Rick Barnes' best offense in several years is out the door with him. But if the more up-tempo, 3-point-heavy offensive system remains in Knoxville, there should be plenty of optimism. Zakai Zeigler is one of the best point guards in the country, and Jonas Aidoo made significant strides as a junior. The Vols will need someone on the wing to step up as a scorer, and a sleeper name to become that guy is sophomore-to-be Cameron Carr.

Projected starting lineup:

Zakai Zeigler (11.8 PPG)
Jordan Gainey (6.8 PPG)
Jahmai Mashack (4.5 PPG)
Jonas Aidoo (11.4 PPG)
Tobe Awaka (5.1 PPG)

I can see them getting Pearl but honestly I don't think it would be a good move for either. I mean part of why Cal is gone is he's not been great in the postseason. Pearl has had 1 good run at Auburn but otherwise hasn't gotten out of the first weekend. Pearl as also at Auburn where expectations are much lower from the fanbase. It's one of those hires I think will be a flash but will end with a whimper.

They seem to be claiming that they haven't been turned down by Hurley yet

The offer is getting officially discussed today. It's around 100$ million. Hurley has said no the last few days when asked, but it might be a little different when it's in writing from the university. I doubt Hurley ever leaves, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

He's on the list along with...

Bruce Pearl
Mark Pope
Brad Underwood

I don't think it will get past Pope if it gets there.
Pope would take it IMO. I kinda think pearl is staying in Auburn barring an act of God. He will leverage for more money and try to get Steven a coach in waiting job if UK comes calling.

Reactions: cncchris33
It is very funny that UK fans ran off Cal and they might have to settle for Mark Pope as their next head coach. Further proof that this idea ANY program can land any coach they want in this era of college athletics is a myth.

The money inside college sports now trumps blue blood status. I remember thinking it was odd how UNC and Duke stayed in house with their hires, but hindsight it looks smart. Not flashy, but smart.

Let the Kentucky thing be a lesson to anyone thinking the Barnes’ era is just laying the ground for the hire that will take us to the mountaintop. Enjoy these seasons while we’ve got them; it’s no guarantee, and probably isn’t even likely, we’re able to hire anything like a sure thing when Rick hangs it up.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back